• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Woman attacked due to her weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashita

Animal Carer
Reaction score
I am seriously wondering what is wrong with my country now

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Woman-attacked-train-size/article-1440798-detail/article.html

" A WOMAN was left badly bruised and fearing she could lose the sight in one eye after being set upon in an unprovoked attack because of her weight.

Marsha Coupe, 53, of Westerham, said the day she was assaulted on a train had already been one of the worst of her life as she was travelling to Hayes from hospital where her husband was receiving emergency treatment for a rare form of cancer.

She said she had decided to get a train home at about 8pm in June last year, to avoid the late-night drunken crowds and had settled down to read The Guardian on the service back from Charing Cross when she heard a woman shout 'Hey you, big fat pig'.

"Before I could even respond, these two filthy white trainers came crashing down on me," said Mrs Coupe.

"When I went to establish eye contact and find out who this creature is, who is screaming at me at the top of her lungs, I got hit in the left eye really badly,"

The full article is in the link

This disgusts me but it doesnt surprise me anymore

Glad to see the US has competition for the "Most WTF Assault Crime" this year.

I really hate it when people are being discriminated for ANYTHING. Whether if it's being overweight, what religion you belong to, what race you are, ect. This story scares me a little, my mom was a little overweight herself...I could never imagine that happening to my mom if she were still alive today.

This also reminds me of a news article that was brought up in my 9th grade science class. We were supposed to do a report on a disease that we chose individually. These two boys in my class chose obescity, and the news article they chose was horrific....this one high school girl was overweight, and there was this group of boys that constantly bullied her all the time. Well, they knew where she lived....so one night, while the whole family was sleeping, they burned down the girl's house, and the whole family ended up dying in the fire.:bawling: I think this happened in either Illinois or Ohio, I can't remember...but that's really sick, and it sickens me even more that this type of crap happens in a country where we're supposedly "free".

This also reminds me of a news article that was brought up in my 9th grade science class. We were supposed to do a report on a disease that we chose individually. These two boys in my class chose obescity, and the news article they chose was horrific....this one high school girl was overweight, and there was this group of boys that constantly bullied her all the time. Well, they knew where she lived....so one night, while the whole family was sleeping, they burned down the girl's house, and the whole family ended up dying in the fire.:bawling: I think this happened in either Illinois or Ohio, I can't remember...but that's really sick, and it sickens me even more that this type of crap happens in a country where we're supposedly "free".
Wow... Did the guys get arrested?

i'm not suprised were talking about the u.s. a country that has all but right say if you dont look like the people on the tv

What's funny is the people who did this won't be looked at as being discriminatory because society has no value for overweight people. Really sad.

I am sickened. Anyone attacking someone is inexcusable, for any reason.

Ugh, this is disgusting. The fact that no security came to help her is even worse.

And pretty much what Fate said. If the woman had been attacked because of her weight AND race, security would have been all over it. But imagine what they think of it. "'This fat-ist person attacked a woman and was shouting fat-cial slurs.' Yeah, right."

I'll never understand this impulse to attack things that're different. Especially things like this--when animals attack things that're different, it's never things like overweight members of their own species, because those are considered still The Same.

Me I'm a lardass and comfortable with it. Anyone wants to make fun of me for it, that's their problem and not mine. Anyone wants to beat me up for it, they're in for a whuppin'.

It kills me to know there are people who would attack other people in the world for something as dumb and immature as this.

That is fucked up. Made me sick, which means this is just extreme to me. I usually don't get all WTF over news, because this shit just gets worse.

But this. Disgusting. People are over-weight. That gives you no reason to attack someone. I mean, making fun of fat people is one thing (not saying that's good) . But assaulting them, no.

I know some of the most amazing people, and they are over-weight. Doesn't change anything. <3

Wow that is so bad, I can't believe that anyone could do something like that. When I hear stories of unprovoked attacks I wonder why these people are allowed to live amongst everyone else because if they can just beat up on someone cause theyre overweight, who knows what else they can do, and whether they'll do it again.
I live in Australia and even for some of the worst physical assault charges the sentence is only like 5 to 10 years, with probably only half non-parole.
I saw a story on TV of a guy walking a girl to a taxi to make sure she got home alright, they were laughing as they walked down the street when a man attacked the guy and left him with the bones in his face all broken. The guy had to have surgery to repair the damage, and the man that assualted him only got 4 years jail with 2 non parole.

Humanity is sinking deeper and deeper sometimes... when I was sixteen I was walking home from my mates house and I was king hit from behind... I fell to the ground, was kicked in the head by a second person who I thought was just a bystander, and the fucktards took my wallet. All for a wallet?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not defending these kind of attacks at all, but I think if someone's violent enough to attack someone, their so-called "reasons" (ie, she's fat) shouldn't even be considered a factor. We've not-so-recently had some "racist" attacks on pour public transport, and IMO, it's the same sort of thing. If a person is [ill-raised/hate-filled/etc]violent enough to attack another person, the comments they scream ("FATTY!", "Go home, (insert racist slur here)" are an afterthought and not necessarily the motivator.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not defending these kind of attacks at all, but I think if someone's violent enough to attack someone, their so-called "reasons" (ie, she's fat) shouldn't even be considered a factor. We've not-so-recently had some "racist" attacks on pour public transport, and IMO, it's the same sort of thing. If a person is [ill-raised/hate-filled/etc]violent enough to attack another person, the comments they scream ("FATTY!", "Go home, (insert racist slur here)" are an afterthought and not necessarily the motivator.

I'm sure it is in some cases, probably those attacks which serve a purpose other than just hurting someone e.g. a mugging or something. Now I'm no criminal psychologist or anything but I can imagine a theif attacking say an african american, stealing their wallet, then kicking them in the face and saying something racist. In that situation I dont think the fact that they're black plays a part in the reason why they were attacked, probably just like you said, an afterthought. In the case of the overweight woman on the train I think her weight probably was the motivator, which is sick because whats it to someone else if she's overweight. Meh either way it's still horrible, no one should have to put up with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom