• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wonder Trade Thread: Dat Wascly Wabbit!

Yeah if the data of a pokemon is going to get garbled, while it's being transferred across a connection that might be unreliable is the place for it to happen.

Yes I am aware that the glitch was found on/before launch so no need to parrot that bit at me again, we also know that it's caused by corrupted data, which is easy to see happening during a transfer.

That said, apparently there isn't really a big risk, however the risk still exists, and there is no faulting someone who would rather be safe than sorry.

I only used this feature for PokéMiles, but now that this has happened, I won't be using it again until a patch comes out. This is why I hate hackers.

I'm giving up on trying to get most of these people to understand that this isn't anything to do with hacking.

Wonder trade is pretty amazing, and I've been very lucky with it. 2 Protean Froakies (male and female), all kinds of starters, a bunch of rare pokemon including Clauncher (I have Y) and last but definitely not least a 5 IV Jolly Thick Fat Swinub with Pokerus. I've also sent out a bunch of female Tyrunts and currently have a box full of decent IV Larvitar/Gibles as by-products of breeding that I'll be sending out soon so I feel like I'm giving something back.

I've been giving out so many Bulbasaurs in the past two days.

But I got a Charmander which was cool, and fitting.

And I got a Ditto nicknamed My ExWife, possibly alluding to Ditto's purpose in the Day Care. I laughed when I saw that.

Yeah I haven't had any problems with Wondertrade so I think that rumor just made people overreact. I admit it scared me at first.

I'll dump a lot of IV bred jolly sneasels with ice punch in there soon. I just have to go back and check their IVs and mark them, and keep the 4IV/5IV ones for trading.
I'll have a lot of jolly driblurs soon too, haha. I'm running out of room in my boxes. I should start releasing stuff.

I'm giving up on trying to get most of these people to understand that this isn't anything to do with hacking.

even if it did have something to do with hackers, Gamefreak aught to have at least made sure that any Pokemon that isn't what is normally possible would be rendered unusable upon detection... if hackers were to make something that would slip through the system, it would have to be legit enough to pass the "I'm not a bad egg" checks.

but given how we've put up with a mostly unusable GTS due to a morphing glitch for a majority of Gen V, is it any wonder why they are just so stubbornly fixated that it's "omg haxorz"

I haven't gone through the entirety of this thread to see if anyone else mentioned this, BUT the guy that it happened to made a SECOND video explaining that he thinks that the "bad egg" thing was NOT caused by Wonder Trade. He thinks it may be his SD card or his 3DS entirely, as the same thing happened on his copy of Y as well when he tried to play it.

Mystery Zone Egg Glitch - Pokemon X/Y Update - YouTube

They cannot be traded over Wonder Trade, so you can WT safely!!

I still would like to Wonder Trade and am no longer worried about the bad eggs, however I still do worry about the day that hacking becomes widespread and people start distributing hacked Pokemon, I dont think some people will be able to resist trading hacked Pokemon this way. I do not know when that day will be but I just wish it could remain safe.

I wouldn't worry too much Shiny Celebi. I mean, it should still be at least half a year before X and Y themselves can be hackable to the general public, and even then I suspect the Wonder Trade like all online features by Nintendo has a legitimacy check on it any way, so even if hacked Pokemon get through, they'd only be ones that prove themselves to be entirely within the game's legit boundaries (i.e no Wondertombs). Unless you feel any hacked pokemon has no soul. Then again, if a seasoned player and the stringent online checker cannot notice it...I'm not sure there's (too much of) a problem. It won't deter me from Wonder Trading, again unless something ridiculous comes along.

Then again thanks to the new breeding system I admit it's a bit more awkward seeing a starter in an Ultra or Premier Ball and knowing it's real and not an obvious hack like in previous gens.
...Why couldn't we just CHOOSE the ball anyway...*rambles*

...Why couldn't we just CHOOSE the ball anyway...*rambles*
I know, right? Apparently Eggs are stored in Poke balls just like Pokemon....

(Speaking of which, since they do have 3D models of Poke balls for battle purposes, why does it always show a standard Poke Ball during the trade sequence?)

if hackers were to make something that would slip through the system, it would have to be legit enough to pass the "I'm not a bad egg" checks.
Note that since the bad egg glitch is merely the result of a checksum failure, the checksum can be legit even if the underlying Pokemon is not. The checksum merely verifies the data is error-free (with the bonus of preventing any hack attempt that can't generate the correct checksum).

Ah...good, someone addressed this "Wonder Trade Bad Egg" thing. I was playing Pokemon with a friend last night who informed me about it and said he won't be Wonder Trading anymore (and that I shouldn't either). I told him I like Wonder Trading enough to "take the risk," but he seems convinced that I'm being stupid about that, now.

So...have we come to any viable conclusions about the actual risk related to this? Is it indeed safe to trade? I don't really know much information besides what he told me, and what you guys have been saying a little bit here.

I heard a rumor recently that the wonder trade glitch might actually be caused by faulty or corrupted flash drives on the SD Card. It wouldn't really surprise me I guess, I know the Japanese release of Animal Crossing had a lot of problems with freezing and crashing supposedly linked to the SD Card. They made a patch for that if I recall. Although there's really no telling what the cause is with this thing. I too have stopped wonder trading since hearing about this.

that reminds me... I got a friend who encountered a glitch that ruined his save file one time. but based on a hunch, he copied the data from his SD over to his computer, formatted the card, put the data back in, and he found his save data was restored. I've yet to encounter a case like this, but if anyone can confirm it, that'd be swell.

apparently X and Y save quite a bit of data onto the SD card, the hunch mainly came to him because he's encountered similar cases with this Super Smash Bros. mod... but that's a different conversation.

So I was clearing out a bunch of breeding leftovers today, and one of the pokemon I got was a female Marill I noticed had Aqua Jet and Belly Drum bred onto it, an adamant nature, and a luxury ball. I had been looking to raise an Azumarill so I was very happy when I found out the thing had 4 perfect IVs. Wasn't long until I was able to get that final non Sp. Attack IV up. Saved me what would have otherwise taken hours.

I've actually gotten some pretty good stuff out of Wonder Trade. Timid Ghastly with 31 SPATK and SPD, a couple Protean Froakies, and some other nice things. I usually end up tossing my spare goodies like breeded Amauras and starters.

After a few days of Wonder Trading, I've come across the usual fanfare of Scatterbugs, Weedles, Caterpies, Duckletts, Pan monkeys, and Bunnelbys, but I did manage to get:
- Level 1 Charmander with Timid nature and 31 Speed IVs
- A Level 1 Hippopotas with Pokerus.

I'm a bit grateful for that. Horde EV training has never been easier for me.

So I was clearing out a bunch of breeding leftovers today, and one of the pokemon I got was a female Marill I noticed had Aqua Jet and Belly Drum bred onto it, an adamant nature, and a luxury ball.

I'm assuming the Marill has Huge Power as an ability.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom