• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GAME: word wars

kintsugi

the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Reaction score
DcFheYA.gif

""something something studies have proven that once you say something out loud, you're 57% more likely to do it"
--kintsugi, on the internet, definitely not making up statistics that do have basis in reality, 2018"
--michael scott

what is this?
I'll review your stuff.

And other people will review your stuff.

This is basically a pyramid scheme for reviewing. Welcome.

why is this?
My "to read" list is basically half of the WW at this point, and the only reason it isn't the entire WW is because I haven't been refreshing the front page enough.

Reading is really important and a good thing for a healthy writing community, both because being read helps authors improve, and because reading helps authors improve. Reading is also really hard when there are a million other things you could be doing. This is aimed towards helping people read more in the Workshop, which is something I always wish I was doing more than I currently am.

how is this?
There are two options: start a war, or join a war.

Starting a war looks like this:
who: this is a tracker for who is involved in said war.
what: what is everyone agreeing to do?
when: when is everyone agreeing to be done by?
wager: what is everyone getting if they complete the what/when? -- basically, ask for something you want. If you fulfill the what/when from above, what will your prize be? bear in mind that you'll be giving the prize out to any other victors of your war, so if I wager a review on 150k words of my fic, I'll have to read 150k words of any other winner's fics

Or, if filled in:
who: kintsugi
what: I will review three (3) fics (other examples could be: I will post my Awards judging / I will write 1000 words of reviews / I will review the newest chapters of [fic] / I will review a story I haven't read before / seriously the sky is the limit here)
when: September 15, 11:59:59 PM GMT-5
wager: I will review a chapter of a story of your choosing!

Joining a war is simple said no historian ever: just quote an existing war post and agree to enter. This means that you're held to the guidelines outlined in that post -- if you joined the sample above, for example, you'd be betting that you will review 3 fics before September 15. If you do that, I review a chapter of your story! If I do that, you review a chapter of a story of my choosing. If we both do that, we review a chapter of each other's choice story. If three people do that, we review each other's stuff! Etc etc.

There's no penalty for losing a war, but please don't start a land war in Russia in the winter do try to enter wars that you actually intend to win.

Kicking off the thread with the sample above/extending the invite I made in BMG Discord today:
word war one: the war to end all wars
what: I will review three (3) fics

Last edited:
MILITARY HISTORY:
ongoing/open

reading:

world war four: {some rise by failure}
who:
AceTrainer14
what: I will write enough reviews to earn 200 points in the Review Game
when: December 1st 12:30am NZDT
wager: I will review a chapter of your choosing!
Note to any participants: this applies to reviews done after this post, not points cashed in)

writing:

yours???

archive

who: kintsugi, PeaceSign, unrepentantAuthor
winners: unrepentantAuthor, kintsugi, PeaceSign

word war two: ketchup
who: kintsugi, diamondpearl876, Flaze, AceTrainer14
what: I will review four (4) fics that: I've previously reviewed, but I haven't reviewed in a month OR that I've never reviewed*
when: September 22, 11:59:59 PM GMT+0
winners: Flaze, diamondpearl876, kintsugi

word war three: spoop
: kintsugi, AceTrainer14
what: I will write thirteen (13) reviews
when: October 31, 11:59:59 PM GMT+0 -- pls kindly note the GMT+0 thanx
wager
: I will do a review of two of your chapters??
winners: kintsugi

Last edited:

[Battlecry]

Alright, kintsugi! I couldn't possibly resist a community challenge like this. Nicely done, by the way.

I will be issuing reviews to Seiren, Guiding Light, and Kanto: There and Back Again.

This is a statement of intent. If I should be successful, it will be an important step on the way to catching up with my reviewing obligations I already intended to meet.

All the best to everyone!

The first wordsmith war
who: unrepentantauthor
what: I will post a chapter of my fanfic worth 3000 words or more
when: September 30, 11:59:59 PM GMT+0
wager: I will draft a scene of your choosing worth up to 500 words.

Feel free to come up with a better name, kintsugi. In any case, there's no way I can reach October without posting a goddamn update!

I'm cutting it pretty close, but I just managed to emerge triumphant in word war one!

Obviously I'd like reviews for Different Eyes.

@kintsugi and @PeaceSign, I hope you'll report similar victories in the next few hours!
lol it actually ends at GMT-5 so you’re waaaaaay in the clear but congrats!!!

mobile but I’ll post a gif/update sometime tomorrow? we all made it and FWIW thanks for being my ALLIES in word war one
god that pun is trash

I'm cutting it pretty close, but I just managed to emerge triumphant in word war one!

Obviously I'd like reviews for Different Eyes.

@kintsugi and @PeaceSign, I hope you'll report similar victories in the next few hours!
landscape-1479400184-giphy.gif

whoops few hours late here, but...
who: kintsugi, PeaceSign, unrepentantAuthor
@unrepentantAuthor completes the word war! [1] [2] [3]
@PeaceSign completes the word war! [1] [2] [3]
kintsugi completes the word war! [1] [2] [3]

prizes
unrepentantAuthor wants a review of Different Eyes
kintsugi wants a review of some rise by sin
PeaceSign wants a review of ???

giphy.gif

who: me? you???
what: I will review four (4) fics that: I've previously reviewed, but I haven't reviewed in a month OR that I've never reviewed*
*if you are less than a month old, haven't reviewed a fic that's updated, are good at actually keeping up with stories, or otherwise don't qualify for this, reviewing four fics will suffice

Last edited:
who: kintsugi, diamondpearl876
*if you are less than a month old, haven't reviewed a fic that's updated, are good at actually keeping up with stories, or otherwise don't qualify for this, reviewing four fics will suffice

All right, I'll take this challenge. I'll review Deprogramming, Unpredictable, Land of Roses and Star Performer.

I've cleared this challenge.

Man, I cut it pretty close and it was tougher than I expected but I managed somewhat.

EDIT: Also, I know it seems a bit unconventional but for my prize I ask for a review of chapter 2 of Streets of Lago, Chapter 2 is still in the works so if it's okay please wait a little until you read it.

Last edited:
Too busy to get involved in other word wars for a while, but I'm glad I was in the first.

I can't rush, but I promise I'll review SRBS and whatever PeaceSign decides on.

aight fam let's bring it back in

ea3.gif

word war three: spoop
what: I will write thirteen (13) reviews
when: October 31, 11:59:59 PM GMT+0 -- pls kindly note the GMT+0 thanx
wager: I will do a review of two of your chapters??

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom