• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

World Championship Thread.

So is Giovanni dead or not dead in canon? Because here he is, alive and well, while apparently he died in the HGSS event.

I'd really love to see some of the old Emerald frontier brains make a comeback. They were a pretty cool crew.

Never thought of that. It would be pretty cool to face them again.
Undoubtedly the World Championship will have to be post-league but I'm still hoping there's more post game than just this.

Doubt it, with Achroma revealing himself to be evil and his supposed involvement with this, you'll probably be introduced to the World Championship before you fight him. That or he has heel face turn and still communicates you after his defeat, which would be a welcome change for the series.

I really hope the world tournament difficulty is on par with regular difficulty. This will give regular players a chance to earn BP and get good items. They can keep that cheating HAX shit in the battle subway.

world-tournament.jpg

Does this mean that the World tournament isnt necessarily restricted to 3 Pokémon each?

So is Giovanni dead or not dead in canon? Because here he is, alive and well, while apparently he died in the HGSS event.
It does not really matter if his death is or isn't canon, since there is no way that this World Tournament is canon.

The World Tournament isn't canon even though Achroma participates in it, simply because people can't accept Giovanni being dead was just some fan theory made up to make Pokemon look darker and edgier?

Makes sense.

The events in Sinnoh Super Contests were confirmed true in HgSs. Unless anything in that tournament directly contradicts canon, I don't see why it should be considered any less canon than things like the Battle Frontier and Frontier Brains.

Last edited:
Considering the WT is part of the storyline definitly makes it canon are the sprites any different? and do we fight all the Gym Leaders of all regions?

Considering the WT is part of the storyline definitly makes it canon are the sprites any different? and do we fight all the Gym Leaders of all regions?

The sprites aren't different. The characters did not age in more than 5 years. They did not even changed their clothes.
The World Tournament is most likely to not be canon, like Sinooh/Johto Battle Frontier aren't.

The thing makes no sense. Unless B2W2 is not placed 5 or more years after DPPt, but... Caitlin makes the 5 or more years gap canon.

and do we fight all the Gym Leaders of all regions?

Probably, but we don't know this yet.

The sprites aren't different. The characters did not age in more than 5 years. They did not even changed their clothes.

Neither did Cynthia's, nor Looker's when they appeared in BW. There's a simple reason to not change it: their image is iconic. Given they're likely not going to give them artwork, and how vague sprites can get sometimes (i.e., Bertha vs. Agatha), its best they used their most recent recognizable sprite.

A bit more of a stretch though, if you can download trainers, then its possible that their designs can be updated later. That's just wishful thinking/

The World Tournament is most likely to not be canon, like Sinooh/Johto Battle Frontier aren't.
It's not canon, yet Caitlin makes reference to both* Battle Castles co-existing at the same time? They even gave a reason why she didn't battle then (i.e., uncontrollable psychic powers)

"Tell me something. Are you familiar with Battle Castles? You can find them in Johto and Sinnoh, so challenge them to improve yourself."

Perhaps the PC doesn't necessarily battle them, but the events that take place are canon.

• Unova Gym Leaders do appear within the World Tournament. Drayden, Brycen and Shizui have been noted.
  • It's currently unknown if their teams are completely set
  • You earn 1BP from Unova Gym Leaders, 2BP from Kanto Gym Leaders

World Tournament features:

• Driftveil Tournament: All Pokémon at Lv 25
  • Rental Tournament - Pokémon are randomly chosen for you like the Battle Factory
  • Mix Tournament - All Pokémon at Level 50, can switch a Pokémon with your opponent before combat
  • Unova Leaders - Battle Unova Gym Leaders at Level 50
  • In one of the modes Roxanne, the Gym Leader of Rustboro City, is battlable
  • More World Tournament modes unlocked World Leaders - Battle Leaders and Champions from around the world
  • Rental Master - Another rental battle system, but with rarer and stronger Pokémon
  • Type Expert is another of the World Tournament modes.
  • After participating in a certain amount of battles in the World Leaders tournament, you then unlock the Champion's Tournament

Seems like it's going to have quite a few modes and tournaments.

Teams aren't set apparently, with Alder apparently having one team of Volcarona, Braviary and Conkeldurr, plus another with Volcarona, Chandelure and Reuniclus. So hopefully this'll be Battle Frontier-calibre stuff.

About Frontier hax, and in particular OHKO moves: outside of Glacia and probably Giovanni, OHKO moves (and their users) are likely much rarer than in the Battle Tower or Subway. I can't think who could possibly use the usual suspects, like Quick Claw/Guillotine Kingler or Pinsir, for instance.

Type Expert Tourney is gonna be amazing. Not knowing what type your gonna go against is gonna be something frustrating, or particulary easy depending on how varied your team is.

Ooh, so there are Doubles? Eep, I'm hoping for teaming-up with a Gym Leader, like in the DPPt Battle Tower! Is there any confirmation of that?

The World Tournament isn't canon even though Achroma participates in it, simply because people can't accept Giovanni being dead was just some fan theory made up to make Pokemon look darker and edgier?

Makes sense.

To be fair, it was fairly ambiguous what happened to him. And the splash suggested he jumped. It's a natural assumption, not a desire for "darker-and-edgier-ness".

There wasn't a splash ._.

There was an ambiguous noise right after the radio cut off. Emphasis on ambiguous. The natural assumption would have been it was the radio given the temporal sequence of events. People had to go through greater leaps of logic to justify a splash, and even greater leaps of logic to say he's dead*. It's obvious that people's need to portray this series darker and edgier than it really is fed into how they interpreted that ambiguous sound.

For example, try to justify that he couldn't have walked out of the cave because he did not have the Pokemon with the proper HM moves when Giovanni got to that cave without the proper HM moves in the first place.

Next, they have to justify your opposite-gender counterpart being out-of-character, being cold and nonchalant about someone's death

Last edited:
So even though we know we have a bunch of different level modes, do we know if they're all akin to BF trainers, or are they more like regular trainers, just minus experience. It would be lovely if all these battles were something everyone could enjoy and not just people who spend all their time EV training.

Given his dialogue in R/B/Y/FR/LG and HG/SS he probably disbanded Team Rocket and became a honest and apparently notable trainer once again. I wonder if his dialogue in the World Tournament will reveal anything new about him.

The World Tournament looks great, i can't wait to participate myself. There is still something i noticed. The sprites of Fu & Lan have the same design as in R/S/E, however, they do look aged to me. I also wonder if you are going to fight them separate.

Given his dialogue in R/B/Y/FR/LG and HG/SS he probably disbanded Team Rocket and became a honest and apparently notable trainer once again. I wonder if his dialogue in the World Tournament will reveal anything new about him.
HgSs Giovanni actually got some character derailment as he was going to answer his minions' calls and try to rule the world.

Also, I think the only reason Tate and Liza look aged is because the sprites used in the DS games were larger than the GBA ones.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom