• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

World Championships in the anime

Hmmm, maybe in this series they'll show off the minor leauges. I imagine Allister will be in he minors due to being a child, and maybe Melony will be the leader of Sirchester, but then passes it down to Gordie
Now I straight up think that Allister isn't even going to show up.

If she didn't enter then, why now? Jealousy?

Anyway, I find it a lot more likely that the next region's champion will be the winner.
I didn't say Cynthia would enter now, because, according to my theory, she stands beyond that World Championships and thus, doesn't even have to enter. The writers are good at inventing totally new concepts out of nowhere, so they might easily introduce some elite club of "Ultra Masters" with Cynthia as leader

I didn't say Cynthia would enter now, because, according to my theory, she stands beyond that World Championships and thus, doesn't even have to enter. The writers are good at inventing totally new concepts out of nowhere, so they might easily introduce some elite club of "Ultra Masters" with Cynthia as leader
Maybe Cynthia lost to Leon?

The problem with all these theories is that Cynthia is just another trainer to the writers and they don’t consider her particularly superior to any other champion (that we know of).

According to Gou's explanation, at the end of World Championship there will be a final eight. I can see the champions from all 8 regions being a part of that.
One will be left out since Ash's going to be there too, but I guess Alola doesn’t really have a good representative except Kukui so it may be left out.

—-

I don’t know how to feel about Ash potentially being stronger than all the champions, it seems pretty strange to me.

I don’t know how to feel about Ash potentially being stronger than all the champions, it seems pretty strange to me.
Unless his whole arc never has a conclusion this is probably going to happen at some point.
It's less weird than your pre-teen protagonists in the game doing it in a few weeks, at least Ash took twenty years to become a ten year old champion.

Unless his whole arc never has a conclusion this is probably going to happen at some point.
It's less weird than your pre-teen protagonists in the game doing it in a few weeks, at least Ash took twenty years to become a ten year old champion.
Yeah, but it’s kinda weird for an ongoing series that was supposed to maintain Ash as a protagonist...
I’m just confused over what might happen.

Unless...Gou is supposed to replace Satoshi as the main character in the end of this series.
That would mean war.
(And funnily enough, this is all this series needs to become even more similiar to Terminator Dark Fate and Disney's Star Wars sequells.)

Last edited:
Yeah, but it’s kinda weird for an ongoing series that was supposed to maintain Ash as a protagonist...
I’m just confused over what might happen.
Introducing the World Championship is a bit of a bind; whether he wins or loses it's hard to say what they could logically do with him for the next series. If he wins the problem is obvious, but if he loses the next series is either a downgrade in terms of scope or a repeat.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing Ash could become stronger than all of the Champions. Not only because of the issue of where they'd take him for the next series, but primarily because I don't know if they could make him that strong in a believable fashion. Ash is a good trainer and he has defeated strong opponents before. Defeating Kukui, who I agree was at a Champion level of strength based on their battle, was impressive and arguably more noteworthy than winning the Alola League itself, but I don't know about if he could defeat every other Champion or go further than they can in the World Tournament. Even with his reserves and newly acquired Pokemon in mind, I'm just not sure if they could pull off Ash being that strong in a believable manner. It might be too much of a stretch.

I think part of the problem is Ash's habitual benching of his team each season prevents the continual growth that as a whole his Pokémon could have. For example, Ash is taking on Pisces soon who is a stand-in for a Gym Leader, but since Ash only has Pikachu/Dragonite/Gengar now it doesn't feel like he's fighting on the level a Champion should be.

If beating Leon is truly his goal now then Ash should realistically be going through his entire roster and choosing a versatile team and training them solely for the League. Not acting second fiddle to Gou half the time. :(

It would be nice to see Satoshi get revenge on all those past dream crushers. Especially Trollbias and his stupid team of legendaries.

Satoshi's first league victory was lackluster to me personally since there was only two serious opponents and he had already won and gotten a trophy before fighting Kukui which was just weird and ruined the tension.

I think they could replace Satoshi with a new character who does gyms and have him or her travel with Gou after the series ends. Question is if they would ever have the guts to replace Satoshi and Pikachu even if there is no more room for them to grow?

I think they could replace Satoshi with a new character who does gyms and have him or her travel with Gou after the series ends. Question is if they would ever have the guts to replace Satoshi and Pikachu even if there is no more room for them to grow?

I doubt it for multiple reasons. After being the main lead for over twenty years, I don't think that they could replace Ash, even if they aren't sure where to take him next. He's just too iconic and marketable for the anime. Giving another character a Pikachu would also potentially make the change feel more moot, especially if they're just going to do the same thing Ash would be doing. I don't see the writers having the guts to replace Ash and they quite possibly might not be allowed to do so by whoever makes the marketing decisions for the anime either.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom