• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

World Championships in the anime

Haven't gotten to watch today's episode yet, but honestly, it sounds very promising for future World Championships episodes. I can appreciate that we learned more about the structure of it (i.e. a trainer's prior achievements not mattering for their rank) and that there could very well be additional callbacks to previous battles or opponents Ash has had.

I'm now a bit more optimistic (though still cautious!) about future episodes relating to the World Championships. Ultimately, I really do think they can do this right.

It could be Forrest with some of Brock's Pokemon. Yes, Delia isn't the first character who lent her Pokemon to a family member.

If the writers want to retread gym victories (do they?), that's fine, but I don't see the point when there are so many game characters that Ash didn't defeat or even fight to begin with. Here's a list:

Kanto: Brock/Forrest, Erika, Sabrina, Janine, Giovanni, Elite Four
Johto: Silver, Will, Karen
Hoenn: Wally, Wallace, Elite Four, Steven
Sinnoh: Stat trainers, Elite Four, Cynthia, Frontier Brains
Unova: Hugh, Drayden, Marlon, Elite Four, Alder, Benga, Subway twins
Kalos: Elite Four, Diantha, Maison Chatelaines
Alola: Molyane, Kahili, Acerola, Ilima, Mina
Galar: All gym leaders, Leon, Hop, Marnie, Bede

Last edited:
If the writers want to retread gym victories (do they?), that's fine, but I don't see the point when there are so many game characters that Ash didn't defeat or even fight to begin with.
Right. Even ignoring the Kanto Gym leaders he didn't beat (the most likely to show up since Kanto gets the most attention), we also post-game facilities bosses from after gen 3 (he did battle Palmer though), various Elite Four and Champions, I think BW2 Gym Leaders (didn't play gen 5 so I can't comment).

I wonder if they'll implement the other battle gimmicks to try and add variety to PWC based episodes. Maybe have double battles where Ash can team up with old allies/Gym Leaders, or maybe have Raid Battles where instead of a wild Pokémon it's against a high ranking trainer and a group of lower ranks are allowed to challenge him/her.

So many possibilities, hopefully they keep battles interesting if we're going to focus on them so much. :unsure:

This concept is a great chance to bring back old characters and introduced ones that were skipped earlier, like some Elite Four members and Gen IV Frontier Brains.

Agreed, but chances are that won't happen.
Why bring back old characters and let people out of the Not Animated Prison when you can just make up a COTD, say he or she is a great trainer, and call it a day?
Mind you, I'd like to be wrong, but I know this series too well. Especially THIS saga (even if it hasn't been going on very long)

It could be Forrest with some of Brock's Pokemon. Yes, Delia isn't the first character who lent her Pokemon to a family member.

Ash vs Forrest is definitely one I'd like to see. Brock could be the ref, unless they're insisting on Rotom for every match.

Agreed, but chances are that won't happen.
Why bring back old characters and let people out of the Not Animated Prison when you can just make up a COTD, say he or she is a great trainer, and call it a day?
Mind you, I'd like to be wrong, but I know this series too well. Especially THIS saga (even if it hasn't been going on very long)

Have you watched the latest ep subbed? It's very strongly hinting at a rematch with Lt. Surge.

Have you watched the latest ep subbed? It's very strongly hinting at a rematch with Lt. Surge.

"Strongly implying" and "actual happens" are different things.

Heck, the Show has implied/foreshadowed/set up things that never came to be several times, so they could very well no do it here as well...

Now that we've gotten a glimpse of how this plot will play out, I'm intrigued but I also have some concerns:

+The battles have had great quality. No Z-moves is a relief.
+Not knowing which character of gym Ash will challenge next, adding a degree of unpredictability.
+Ash will need many battles to Rank up, meaning that we will likely get more than 8 battles overall.
+We will likely see Elite Four members that haven't appeared in the anime during the second half of the series when Ash's stronger.
+/- I'm afraid Ash's reserves will be completely ignored, seeing them again would be incredible.
+/- I'm also afraid they'll pull another Visquez and will avoid showing past characters.
+/- The system being connected by the Rotom phones is cool but it does feel like it comes out of nowhere.
-Ash will likely sit down during many episodes just so Go can catch a Cherubi or something making him passive again.

Don't see why Brock would enter the PWC, since he's focused on becoming a Pokémon Doctor (unless they decide to say "screw it, Brock's a Gym Leader again", which I really hope to Arceus it won't be the case).
Didn't stop Dawn from entering the Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup despite being a Pokémon Coordinator. And as evident from his rather recent fight with Kiawe, he still enjoys a good battle regardless of his profession; so much so, that he even acquired Mega Evolution.

-Ash will likely sit down during many episodes just so Go can catch a Cherubi or something making him passive again.

Well, yeah? I mean you can't expect Ash to be active in every episode. Even previous sagas didn't have Ash take the lead role in every episode, so this is sort of a weird prediction to make imo. The best compromise would be that Ash might do some training in Go focused episodes so that he isn't just sitting on the side lines, but I don't even see that as compulsory.

Well, yeah? I mean you can't expect Ash to be active in every episode. Even previous sagas didn't have Ash take the lead role in every episode, so this is sort of a weird prediction to make imo. The best compromise would be that Ash might do some training in Go focused episodes so that he isn't just sitting on the side lines, but I don't even see that as compulsory.

In previous series he was travelling to the location of his next badge at least, and the detours didn't matter anyway because all Ash needed to do was to get 8 badges within a year.
We don't know the exact timeframe, this is an example.
But in this series Ash realistically should be having battles every day in order to get the most victories. I know I shouldn't expect that, but still, I blame the writers for forcing him to stay at the lnstitute.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom