• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: World Poetry Day 2019: Discussion and Collab

Snuggle Tier List

What I tell you three times is true.
Reaction score
March 21st, two-weeks-and-a-day from today, is World Poetry Day. And as a poet-fic kind of guy looking for poems to read, I couldn't help but notice 'dem slim pickings in the poetry department. So, with two weeks notice; anyone wanna contribute for a World Poetry Day compilation?

Plan is this: I'm going to make a Writer's Workshop thread titled "World Poetry Day 2019 Community Collab" during the morning times of March 21st (I'm Eastern Standard Time, so the thread may be early/delayed based on where you live). I'll post a poem myself to start the thread off, then leave the thread open for anyone to post their own poems. There'll be a few days' grace period to account for time zones/possible maintenance hiccups, so we'll say submissions will be accepted from the time the thread's posted until midnight March 23rd. Submitting on March 21st is preferred, but we all got lives; no biggie if you have to squeak in on the 23rd.

Rules will be:

1. Maximum Teen rating. Slammin' it raw is okay, but let's keep the atmosphere from getting too grim. It's a celebration, yo!
  2. One poem per participant. We're posting to show solidarity, to bring the community together. Not to hog the spotlight. If you find yourself with extra poems, then A) congratulations!, and B) consider posting your extra work in your own thread.
  3. Your poem needs a name, and the name needs to be somewhere in your World Poetry Day post. I'll use it to threadmark your poem so we have a proper index. Note that late submissions will not be threadmarked; I've givin' you three days, man! You can do it! Just write about flowers, everyone loves flowers!
  4. Your poem needs a declared content warning, even if it's Everyone, and that content warning should be in your World Poetry Day post. This'll let me know how to threadmark your poem. Poems without a content warning will not be threadmarked.
  5. Side chatter is allowed, but should remain on the subject of poems. Comments, reviews, etc. Just like any other Workshop thread. Because really, this is just a fancy themed collab I'm proposing.

And that's it! No length requirements, no quality standards. Just make a poem however you want. Descriptions are optional but encouraged.

For the record, this isn't anything official or mod-endorsed (though mods are more than welcome to participate!). Thus, I'm looking for participation pledges. Post here and say you're planning to participate, so I know how seriously to take this. If I get no pledges, then I'll probably publish something for my own poetry collection instead. If at least one person pledges, then the World Poetry Day thread's going up. If I get a heap of pledges, then I'm setting my alarm early and getting a good night's sleep for once. You don't need to pledge to participate, but it'd help me keep organized behind the scenes.

Regardless of how many people participate, I'm shooting for a casual, everyone's welcome vibe. The point is to get people reading and writing poetry, not battle each other in a slam poetry tournament. But if you're looking to study up, the Workshop Writing Academy has a lesson on the basics of poetry here. And in keeping in spirit with the day, feel free to share any poetry-related resources you might know of yourself! Again, there's no quality standards, the goal of World Poetry Day is to raise knowledge of poetry in general, so share whatever you got. Even if you aren't planning to participate! Worst comes to worst, we might make a decent collection of poetry resources.

I'll start us off with some links to famous poems!

Robert Frost: Fire and Ice (word count ~50)
Lewis Carroll: The Hunting of The Snark (word count ~4.4K)
Edgar Allen Poe: The Bells (word count ~600)

See how varied those word counts are? Admittedly, Lewis Carroll's the kind if guy who'd make up words just to keep rhyming, but no one's stopping you from doing the same. Or you could go short and sweet like Robert Frost, with no characters or plot whatsoever. Or you could take the middle ground and do something like Poe; tell a symbolic narrative via stanzas, but keep the story short and sweet. Really, there's so many ways to write a poem, you can adapt almost anything you want to write into poetry. If you got an idea for a fic you'll never get around to, perhaps now's the time? Or you could just adapt the PokéRap as if it were written by a Victorian poet. That'd be awesome, actually.

So, to sum up: I am proposing an everyone's invited collab for World Poetry Day (March 21st, though submissions will be accepted until midnight March 23rd). I'll start the thread in the Writer's Workshop the morning of March 21st; we'll post all our poems there. But I need at least one participation pledge to make the effort worthwhile. EDIT: We have a pledge! See you the 21st!

Anyone a poet and wants the world to know it?

Last edited:
Nice effortpost you got here, Snuggle.

Count me in. I'm not much for poems normally, but this is very charming and I can certainly dig out some work from my time at uni studying prose poetry!

Nice effortpost you got here, Snuggle.

Count me in. I'm not much for poems normally, but this is very charming and I can certainly dig out some work from my time at uni studying prose poetry!

Then the thread's going up, March 21st! Gonna get a decent-looking intro post ready, so I won't need to type it the day of. Something to summarize what's going on, in case soneone wanders in. This was somewhat spur-of-the-moment for me, but I already had background knowledge in my mindspace and it doesn't seem too hard to maintain on my end. Oh, and there's a poem I've been wanting to publish but have been holding off due to being a little too short for my personal collection's style. A little bit of formatting and I'll have a nice example ready.

Ahem What could possibly go wrong?

Also, just for fun: I did not know the term effortpost, and the only place that had a definition was Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary said:
effort post

When a poster on an internet forum writes about their opinion, project, story or otherwise and actually takes the time to properly research, cite sources, and utilize proper diction and grammar, generally as a means to convince, sway, or otherwise argue. Usually the first response is 'tldr'.

Quick update: the collab is proceeding as planned. However, due to some quirks I've discovered with threadmarking, I've had to implement some rule changes to keep the collab properly sorted. This won't affect what content is allowed, but you may need to make changes if you've preformatted your post.

For transparency, here's what will be the full First Post of the collab, including formalized rules. Again, the content your poem likely won't change under the formalized rules, but the way you post it might. More details in the spoiler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Poetry Day 2019 Community Collab

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the World Poetry Day 2019 Community Collab! This is a no-invitation-needed collection of poems written by various members of the community, all for the sake of reading, writing, and learning about poetry. Anyone may post a poem, so long as they meet the following criteria:
  1. Maximum Teen rating. Slammin' it raw is okay, but let's keep the atmosphere from getting too grim. It's a celebration, yo!
  2. One poem per participant. We're posting to show solidarity, to bring the community together. Not to hog the spotlight. If you happen to have multiple poems, then now might be a good time to start your own collection.
  3. Side chatter is allowed (comments, reviews, etc.), but do not put chatter in your submission's post. This is to prevent banter from being added to the thread's wordcount, and to keep Bulbaforum's reader mode clean and consistent.
  4. Your poem needs a name, and the name needs to be clearly displayed somewhere in your submission post. I'll use it to threadmark your poem so we have a proper index.
  5. Your poem needs a declared content warning, even if it's Everyone, and that content warning should be in your submission post. This'll let me know how to threadmark your poem.
  6. Your poem cannot be be placed in code blocks or spoiler tags. This is due to the threadmark word count skipping over spoilers; format your poem with code or spoilers, and the word count gets skewed.

These rules are not mod endorsed, as this is not a mod endorsed event. However, if your submission doesn't meet these requirements, they will not be added to the index.

And that's it! There's no quality standards, length requirement, or anything of that sort. Just post a poem that meets these rules and I'll add you to the collection's index. Descriptions are spoiler tags are encouraged but not required. See my submission below for an example.

World Poetry Day is recognized internationally on March 21st, but to be fair with those with tight schedules, submissions are allowed until midnight March 23rd Eastern Standard Time. I encourage you to post on World Poetry Day itself, but no biggie if you can't make the actual day. However, any poems posted after the deadline will not be indexed. If you got a poem, share it now!

Oh, and in case you're wondering what this "index" thing is: see the little bar at the top of this post? The one labeled "Threadmarks"? On the right side of the bar, there should a hyperlink titled Index. Click that, and you'll be taken to all poems currently submitted. I'll make occasional rounds to add new submissions to the index; expect a small delay between submission and indexing. Feel free to make edits is you think your post doesn't meet the rules, but please avoid editing your post after you've entered the index.

Enjoy!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom