• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Worst anime you've ever seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo-Floatzel

Jacen the Robot Floatzel
Reaction score
A spinoff of the Worst cartoon you've ever seen thread that applies to eastern animation in particular. What is the worst anime you have ever seen?

One of the worst I've ever seen is Sonic X, which was often dull at times, as well as much focus being given to the side-character of Chris Thorndyke (a rather bland Gary Stu type character) as opposed to the blue hedgehog himself, some of the adaptations of the games were pretty bad and poorly handled, in fact, the only thing the show really has in common with the games is the characters, and at times I feel like this anime wasn't originally meant to be a Sonic anime, and Sonic was put in for ratings.

I don't watch anime that I don't like, so I rarely get to watch "the worst". If I'm disappointed by an anime, I usually don't watch it to the end.

But I do have some opinions on anime that disappointed me a lot.

1. Green Green.
I watched one episode of this, and I felt really angry over this anime. I heard it was a comedy show with mature themes, but turned out to be a show full of perverted themes that I got disgusted. The plot made no sense and the 'accidental' ecchi scenes weren't even funny. That anime did not deserve to be called mature.

2. Princess Resurrection
Awesome title sequence and all, but I was rather disturbed with the crazy themes going around in there...

3. Shining Tears X Wind
Horribly rushed and summarized way too much that it had plot holes and missing a lot of important details. It might have been better if it lasted for 24 episodes instead of 13

4. Ultraviolet: Code 044
Tried giving the anime a chance - it sucked horribly just like the movie.

5. Starry Sky
The worst adaptation of one of the best otome games. I gave one episode a try, and I wanted to scream.

Honorable mentions:
1. Fate/stay night
I didn't watch it, but all my friends told me it sucked. HORRIBLY SUCKED. Fate/Zero was a drastic improvement over Fate/stay night.

2. Togainu no Chi
Again, I didn't watch this. A close friend of mine said this was unfaithful to the original games it was based on because along with the art-style being different, they took out the most important yaoi themes (believe it or not, Togainu no Chi is a yaoi game) so of course the anime didn't make much sense.

Ironically, I liked Sonic X and didn't have a problem with Chris' character until season 2. His presence felt forced and unnecessary. Not sure about season 3 as I've never seen it.

Let's see, anime series I would consider the worst...

Super Street Fighter IV

Kanon (the original series. I heard it got a remake)

Pretear

Highschool of the Dead

Colorful

This is all I can think of right off. I'll get into why I feel somewhat negative towards these series later. I'm still at work despite the time and should be prepping for tomorrow. ^^

Ninja Nonsense stands out for me. A whole bunch of my peers thought it was absolutely hilarious, however, so what do I know? It just wasn't my cup of tea.

I would have to agree with Digimon Frontier, which really just shows that I watch very little anime because Frontier really wasn't that bad. It was in fact, ok. There was also one mahou shoujo anime I watched for a while when I was around 6-7, Corrector Yui, I think, and even then I thought it was pretty bad. I mostly watched it when CardCaptor Sakura (I got a dub that was a direct translation, so I loved it) wasn't on, but since I barely even remember what it was about (I think she was awful with computers, and that's as far as I remember), I'm not sure if I should count it.

Digimon series 4 off the top of my head.

Well, I cannot say Frontier was the worst Digimon series, except in it's second half, which is where it was really bad (the first half was decent at best), but Young Hunters is much worse from what I've heard of it.

GX was bad but I heard it gets better in season 3 or 4 i think (when 4kids abandoned it). 5D's is great and I even paid $200 to have my hair styled like Yusei one time, but theres so many missing episodes from the english dub. Zexal is pretty cool.

YGO 5D's was awesome, dubbed or subbed (I prefer the sub, but the 4Kids dub is decent), IMO. Seriously, even though I prefer YGO by Toei and YGO: Duel Monsters over any of the other series, I still liked 5D's. GX's dub is kind of an Abridged Series in and of itself, so I can't say I liked it, but it's funny! I like GX subbed more, though.

Zexal...um, I can't get into it for some reason, though. Far from the worst anime I've ever seen, though. None of the YGO Series should even qualify, if you ask me.

Digimon...can't say I dislike any of the series. Xros Wars is my least favorite though: can't get into it for some reason. My favorite is Season 3, though.

Worst anime I've seen would have to be either Mars of Destruction or Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven. MY. GOD.

Last edited:
The worst anime I have ever seen is the Pokémon: BW series with the DP series in a close second. I haven't seen the XY series yet but I doubt it is any different.

The worst anime I have ever seen is the Pokémon: BW series with the DP series in a close second. I haven't seen the XY series yet but I doubt it is any different.

Try watching Pokemon XY - at least the 1 hour special of episode 1 and 2. It's got a lot of praise from everyone, and I was also impressed on how much it improved.

I agree that BW was the worst - especially the latter half (except Episode N). First, they seemed to have rushed through the League horribly to get Episode N on air, and then when that short glory ended, they gave us useless fillers on Decolora Islands. They could have used that time for better development on the N arc, but meh, too late.

Another worst anime I remember was La storia della Arcana Famiglia. It was rushed, and failed to balance the characters.

Try watching Pokemon XY - at least the 1 hour special of episode 1 and 2. It's got a lot of praise from everyone, and I was also impressed on how much it improved.

To be fair, Pokemon XY has also gotten a lot of criticism as well, and if anything, I feel it's an amalgamation of AG and DP so far. Serena has no real distinct personality other than a generic one, with no goal but to seduce Ash so far that I can see, Bonnie is solely there to be cute and is nothing more than adorable so far, her gag will wear thin quickly and is a blatant reference to Brock's, Clemont: I'll admit, he is good and he has some funny inventions, XY Ash is good so far and is more his AG self right now than his DP one, and Team Rocket are once again horrible characters there to serve as punching bags.

Furthermore, ratings are at an all-time low for the start of a series so far. So yeah, it's been mixed to say the least: some like it, some hate it.

"Improved" is a matter of opinion, man. I guess the battles and animation have improved, and that's all I've seen, to be honest. Battles were still at their peak in DP, but I digress (one of the only things I liked about DP Series).

Last edited:

To be fair, Pokemon XY has also gotten a lot of criticism as well, and if anything, I feel it's an amalgamation of AG and DP so far. Serena has no real distinct personality other than a generic one, with no goal but to seduce Ash so far that I can see, Bonnie is solely there to be cute and is nothing more than adorable so far, her gag will wear thin quickly and is a blatant reference to Brock's, Clemont: I'll admit, he is good and he has some funny inventions, XY Ash is good so far and is more his AG self right now than his DP one, and Team Rocket are once again horrible characters there to serve as punching bags.

Furthermore, ratings are at an all-time low for the start of a series so far. So yeah, it's been mixed to say the least: some like it, some hate it.

"Improved" is a matter of opinion, man. I guess the battles and animation have improved, and that's all I've seen, to be honest. Battles were still at their peak in DP, but I digress (one of the only things I liked about DP Series).

I guess we should give the show some more episodes. We still don't know much about Serena - there's still backstory that hasn't been told, and we don't know what goal she wants to achieve by travelling with Ash (though, even if it is for romance, we've never had anything like that before, so it might be interesting). XY Ash IS certainly better than BW Ash; I'd say it's a huge improvement that they made him competent again (mostly because his BW-self was more a disgrace). Hopefully, Bonnie will be more than just cute.

Ratings aren't reliable btw - it's been stated by many people, and for a good reason. Here's the locked thread complaining about XY's ratings... and you'll see why it ended up getting locked. http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f716/whats-going-xys-ratings-158788/

Back on topic, I was browsing through the net, and remembered how cheesy Uta no Prince-sama 2000% (the second season) was. 1000% (the first season) had done a good job equally distributing screentime to each character, balancing their appearances, and focusing on the main casts dreams on making wonderful music. 2000%... I did watch it all, but I wish I hadn't seen it after watching the last episode because it was cheesy beyond cheesy and ....

Seriously, too cheesy.

ok now where to begin

in no particular order,

1. Initial D. i know it may seem a bit ironic since i am a fan of cars but this anime did have its downfalls. one thing i didnt like is that it became just too predictable which started to bore me. second the fanservice was just plain annoying. and third, as the show progressed up until its end, they all were still using the same cars back from 1995. it seemed either someone had a Subaru, an Evo, skyline, miata, or a rx7. i know its all japan based cars but i thought it would have been nice to see some other cars maybe like a Mercedes, maybe some Alfa Romeos, the evo VIII, and maybe a Mitsubishi Eclipse (ok thats a chrysler made car but ya know)

2. Ex Driver. a show about a group of people who try to round up auto driving cars by driving a turbo and supercharged Miata, a SUbaru Brat and a few other tin cans on wheels. Ok who the heck puts a TURBO AND A SUPERCHARGER in a Miata? unless they want to see how fast they can break their rear differential or see how far the can destroy the engine into many pieces...

3 Ruroni Kenshin... Ughh.... granted i watched the dub but the VA and the plot was so much "WAT" me and all of my friends in my high schools Anime club all agreed to watch something else after the first episode. it was that bad

The 4kids dub of One Piece. Seriously, I cringe when I hear that pirate rap...Also the Pokemon dub. 4kids ruined the anime then TPCi made the dub even worse. Then lastly I can't stand Bleach. It's a rip off of Yu Yu Hakusho with swords. That is about it. I usually like any anime I see because I pick and chose what catches my eye. I prefer dubs most of the time and I only have a few exceptions on that.

I'm usually pretty good about avoiding shows I don't think I'd like, but a few stinkers that stick out in my memory would be:

Rurouni Kenshin the movie: I love the manga/most of the tv series, but the movie was so boring and forgettable that I couldn't even tell you what happened in it. Having the dvd that ADV put out for it look like an old VHS fansub definitely didn't help things.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water - The Motion Picture: Another tv series I really liked with a terribad movie. Half of it is a recap of the show, and the other half felt like watching a badly written fanfic a barely literate kid wrote. It also made the island episodes of the series seem great in comparison.

MØUSE: Just watching the opening again makes me cringe...

For some reason, I have a pretty high tolerance when it comes to crap, so I can watch just about any show and get some form of enjoyment out of it. The following were just plain bad though.

Da Capo seasons 1&2: This anime was based off of a series of eroge with the same name, so the animation of the first season was absolute crap. Didn't help that it was made in the early 2000s when just about every show looked awful because of the switch to digital. ANYway, the only characters worth remembering were Miharu and Kotori, though I did have a soft spot for Moe and her sister. Unfortunately the main characters, Nemu and Sakura, were completely annoying and it was just a terrible love triangle. The only reason I managed to make it through the first season was because of the trippy side-episodes, which were actually pretty entertaining.

The second season had higher production values and much better animation, but for some reason completely changed the main character's look? Um okay, no continuity. It also introduced a new (but still annoying!) main character named Aisia, who basically goes around trying to get a harem end for Juiichi that he doesn't want. It was To Love-ru Darkness without any harem hijinks, instead opting for pointless drama. Despite the better animation, I could stand this season of the show even less than the first, and dropped it around the 20 episode mark. I usually don't mind shows like this either, but for some reason this one just didn't click with me.

Digimon Adventure 02: Wow was this bad. The entire thing felt like a fan-fiction gone wrong. The movies for this season were even worse, and it almost ruins my memories of the amazing first season. So if you ever watch Digimon Adventure and are thinking of watching the second, DON'T. Save yourself the agony, even if it means missing an older Hikari and Takeru. The new characters are barely watchable, and the butchering of the old ones will make you want to cry. It's that bad.

Dallos: This was the very first OVA ever made back in the '80s, and well, I'm glad they've evolved in quality since then. Not much to say about it since it was only 4 episodes, but it felt like they didn't work well with the time they had to tell the story. It didn't necessarily need more episodes, it just needed to organize things better. The plot was a mess because of it, and it really just felt like the whole thing was an excuse to animate fight scenes in space. Unfortunately despite some nice animation for the time period, it just didn't have anything memorable about it.

Zero no Tsukaima seasons 2&3: Now don't get me wrong here, I liked the first season. Even the second season was tolerable, and it had a good ending to make up for it. But the third season... I couldn't make it past 3 episodes. I know I probably should have given it more of a chance, but by that point Siesta had become completely annoying to me, Henrietta wasn't much better, and Saito was grating on my nerves too. I don't blame Louise for reverting back to her tsun ways, that man really is a stupid dog.

Vampire Knight: Shoujo and vampires, how original. Also vampire incest...? Anyway, I was in middle school and even I realized how awful this show was. I'm pretty sure I finished it though, which probably says something about me.

There are plenty more, but I don't want to write 17 pages for this thing.

The worst anime I've seen was probably Romeo x Juliet. It was just really tacky and cheesy and halfway through the episode I watched, I decided that that was enough and I called it quits.

Hetalia comes a close second. The stereotypes are unfunny and the Japan character is a Mary Sue. Makes me glad there's no character for Lebanon, or otherwise it would be the worst (cause then it would be personal).

Vampire Knight might be third. Despite normally preferring shonen, I actually like some shoujo (Rose of Versailles is a favourite of mine - and my older sister is a HUGE fan of it). But Vampire Knight isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom