• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalGlacia

wants Chain of Memories!
Reaction score
Self explanatory. I got the idea for a worst anime thread after seeing it on countless other anime forums.

Give actual REASONS why you didn’t like the anime. Don’t just say “I don’t like [insert anime here] because it sucks.” That’s not a reason.

If someone says that they don’t like an anime that you really like, understand that it’s just an OPINION.

Other than that, no flaming, try to stay on topic, and DON’T let it turn into this monstrosity.

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?t=73767

- - - - - - - - - -

Now that that’s over, here are Glacia’s Top Five Least Favorite Anime. (In no particular order.)

Naruto
Too many of the characters are stereotypical. And the plot can get boring pretty quickly.

Code Geass
I’ve never liked mecha series in general, but the stickperson characters and Britania’s similarity to Americans made it unpleasant.

Dragonball (all incarnations)
I remember watching this anime when I came home from school. I can recall the long, endless, overdramatic fights; the shallow plot; the SCREAMING and YELLING…and that DAMN HAIR!!!!!!! [/goesinsane]

EDIT: The Dragon Ball series actually appears on many "Worst Anime" lists.

Yu-Gi-Oh
A big defining feature for on what makes an anime watchable is the art. The general style the characters are drawn in isn’t visually pleasing. And you’ve really gotta wonder how much the characters spend on hair products. Also, the fact that it was dubbed by 4Kids doesn’t make it seem any more appealing, because the Japanese version isn’t much better.

Crayon Shin-Chan
I can understand that this is a comedy anime, but the jokes are just too crude to be funny. And SERIOUSLY. THE ASS JOKES HAVE GOT TO STOP.

Last edited:
Naruto
Too many of the characters are stereotypical. And the plot can get boring pretty quickly.

Crayon Shin-Chan
I can understand that this is a comedy anime, but the jokes are just too crude to be funny. And SERIOUSLY. THE ASS JOKES HAVE GOT TO STOP.

Agreed.

Well, I haven't watched many animes since I started watching InuYasha again, and you named most of the ones I was going to say, but here's one I can't help but list.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Aside from the annoying-as-hell name, most if not all of the characters are really, really stupid. I actually sat through an episode and it was mostly filled with annoying voices, boring fight scenes, and childish jokes. Plus, the main character's "special-power" comes from his friggin' nose hairs... give me a break. Needless to say, I've never watched it since.

Last edited:
Naruto Shippūden
I like the original series but after the timeskip the pace just drops to such an unreasonable level that it becomes unwatchable. When you are covering less than a 16-page chapter of an action manga in each 20 minute episode, you are doing something wrong.

^^^ Oh yeah, Shippuden! Talk about a series that drags on. They are doing one chapter of the comics per episode and it's highly noticeable.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Aside from the annoying-as-hell name, most if not all of the characters are really, really stupid. I actually sat through an episode and it was mostly filled with annoying voices, boring fight scenes, and childish fart jokes. Plus, the main character's "special-power" comes from his friggin' nose hairs... give me a break. Needless to say, I've never watched it since.

Are You Serious!!?!!

Code Geass
I’ve never liked mecha series in general, but the stickperson characters and Britania’s similarity to Americans made it unpleasant.

Crayon Shin-Chan

I don't think Code Geass's Britania doesn't lie so much closer to referencing America as it is a collection of many western countries. However, if anything it has a more distinct European flare. That said, I also find the Nationalism in it cheesy. (But I find most Nationalism patronizingly cheesy (Reminding me of other mechs included). IE just because you say "America is the Greatest Country in the World" doesn't mean I should buy your album)

Also, so many people say that about Shin Chan that it is funny to me. America definitely amps up the content level to South Park, but the Japanese one is still crude very humor.

On a side note, (not trying to imply others should give it a chance) Bobobo is hilarious. I guess in a more Family Guy sort of way (but I like it better, I find it more coherent) There also isn't that much crude humor, but a lot of references to Video Games, Comics (Especially Jump comics), Japanese TV, and movies, and especially makes fun of their logic leaps and cleches.

YuGiOh, I like the original more. Though not so much for the game variety, but the crazy gambler that is Yugi. I very much liked how you couldn't really tell if he was a hero or just as crazy as the villains in the original. Then it became about card games... which was ok... but then it when back to being about Egypt and Crazy gambling, and it ended with a bang. Not my favorite series, but I definitely liked it.

As for worst series, I don't know... I'm a very tolerant person. I don't know what I'd categorize as worse (because they all have different audiences), but for programs that give me a snore fest:

Anything of Coro Coro origin. If it is a show directly made to market a product to kids (And don't even try to hide it like Pokemon or Gundam) I tend to find it boring because the plot and logic takes a big back burner to showing off the next cool thingy to buy.

I also tend to dislike Rumiko Takahashi series that aren't a short story. She just doesn't know how to end a series and defines the idea of dragging on a plot. :p

My vote goes to Lucky Star because I found it boring. I kept waiting and waiting for something interesting to happen, and nearly fell asleep watching the first episode--which is rare with me, because I'm usually paying attention to the show.

My vote goes to Lucky Star because I found it boring. I kept waiting and waiting for something interesting to happen, and nearly fell asleep watching the first episode--which is rare with me, because I'm usually paying attention to the show.

(I never thought I'd say this... but) I thought it was kinda cute they way the acted toward schoolwork and the way they all interacted with eachother ^^ (I haven't seen very much of it).

But I can definitely see how "cute" could get boring quickly.

The problem with Lucky Star is that if you're not a super japanese otaku, you wont get even half of the obscure reference that would make it funny to viewers. Sadly, most of us non-Japanese people wouldn't get it, but people still like it for the moe factor.

Meh, from the ones I've seen, the one on my absolute shitlist would be Yu-Gi-Oh. I can't even LOOK at it. The designs and style or whatever you want to call it is a horrible eyesore. The incarnations of Dragonball are in the same boat for those reasons, but Yu-Gi-Oh somehow tops it...

Lucky Star is only popular because of its' crazy hype. I fell for it, and once I actually took a second look at it, it just wasn't that great.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Aside from the annoying-as-hell name, most if not all of the characters are really, really stupid. I actually sat through an episode and it was mostly filled with annoying voices, boring fight scenes, and childish jokes. Plus, the main character's "special-power" comes from his friggin' nose hairs... give me a break. Needless to say, I've never watched it since.

I completly 100% agree with you on that.

'Nuff said. o_O

I have to go with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. The characters irritated the heck out of me and there was no real plot to the eps. It was utterly unwatchable to me. Naruto and One Piece are pretty high on the list too, mostly due to the annoying characters. >.<

Does Reign the Conqueror count as anime? Cause I suffered through a couple of eps of that when it aired on Adult Swim and I wanted to claw my own eyes out. Visually unappealing doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'd list Witch Hunter Robin. I watched the entire thing waiting for something interesting to happen and it never did. The angsty guy was revealed as angsty for a dumb reason, the characters were shallow and boring, and it tried way too hard to think the deep thoughts while not actually going anywhere.

^^ Yeah, that was annoying for me as well.

.hack/SIGN

Seriously overrated. They spend more time on the characters' personal lives than they do on fight scenes, and if you're going to stick a guy with a huge sword on the cover of your DVD box, you'd best deliver the goods with the swordplay. I don't understand why everyone's like "yay, .hack!"

Desert Punk

Stupid. Just stupid and juvenile. It wants to be an action comedy, and the first episode was cute, but after that, it's all downhill with the boob jokes every other line.

DBZ, Naruto, any other Shonen Jump megafranchise (IE, can't throw a rock in Wal Mart without hitting some kind of merchandise)

It's dudes. Beating up dudes. Yawn.

Joey said:
I'd list Witch Hunter Robin. I watched the entire thing waiting for something interesting to happen and it never did. The angsty guy was revealed as angsty for a dumb reason, the characters were shallow and boring, and it tried way too hard to think the deep thoughts while not actually going anywhere.
He was angsty because he lived in fear that he would awaken as a witch and lose control of himself? I would excuse him for that.
Personally, I thought that the series had a great atmosphere. The action was good, the characters were good, the plot was...adequate... Overall, I thought that it was good.

Neku said:
.hack/SIGN

Seriously overrated. They spend more time on the characters' personal lives than they do on fight scenes, and if you're going to stick a guy with a huge sword on the cover of your DVD box, you'd best deliver the goods with the swordplay. I don't understand why everyone's like "yay, .hack!"
I enjoyed the series for the fact that it does spend more time on character development than on violence that has no rhyme or reason. They gave us the fights that were important to the plot, and those may have been relatively few in number, but I honestly don't need to watch Bear fighting random monsters.

A few people have mentioned Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm actually willing to forgive that series. Sure, the whole concept is pretty lame, the characters are boring, the fights are over-dramatic considering that these are holograms that we're dealing with, and the combos that they pull off just at the right time would not only never happen, but they cause the series to lose whatever credibility it may have because you know that Yugi is always going to do it...but even with all of those points considered, it isn't as bad as Yu-Gi-Oh GX. GX had even more annoying characters, particularly the stereotypical ones with random accents, an absolutely atrocious theme song, and terrible cards. In the original series, there were knights, dragons, magicians and the like, which were actually pretty cool, but in GX, there were...spacemen. Not even good spacemen. Spacemen that reminded me of the Starman Junior in EarthBound, not that I have anything bad to say about the game, but...look at that thing.

Oh my lordie. 0_0

Naruto Shippūden
I like the original series but after the timeskip the pace just drops to such an unreasonable level that it becomes
unwatchable. When you are covering less than a 16-page chapter of an action manga in each 20 minute episode, you are doing something wrong.
AND they still have them stupid filler episodes! ¬_¬

My least favourite would be *gasp* the most poorly edited dub t ever grace my T.V schedule, mew mew power!
don't get me wrong, I liked Tokyo mew mew, but for heavens sake, Zoey? what was wrong with ichigo? the story was far too heavily edited, (too much flirting, changed location[why?], unfinished, etc, etc.) almost as if 4kids actually had the intention of ripping the very soul out of it.
I don't know what they were thinking. As far as I can tell, the show was a complete flop, airing twice daily on POP for christs sake, until it became completely forgotten.

He was angsty because he lived in fear that he would awaken as a witch and lose control of himself? I would excuse him for that.
Nope, not an excuse in my book. I'd rather he do something about it rather then go around being an angsty ass to everyone. I have little tolerance for angst though.
To each their own though. To the show's credit, the animation was great and the visual character designs were nice. And I did like that one hacker guy. But it didn't suit my tastes at all and I finished it feeling very disappointed.

Joey said:
Nope, not an excuse in my book. I'd rather he do something about it rather then go around being an angsty ass to everyone. I have little tolerance for angst though.
To each their own though. To the show's credit, the animation was great and the visual character designs were nice. And I did like that one hacker guy. But it didn't suit my tastes at all and I finished it feeling very disappointed.
Unfortunately, there wasn't much that he could do about it. He was powerless to control his own life, and that sort of thing tends to takes its toll on a person.
As you say, though, to each their own. I'm not so much arguing against your point as I am adding another perspective. Whatever the reason, though, you don't like the character, and I'm not going to try to change your mind. Still, I agree with you fully about the designs and Michael, the hacker. He was a fantastic character.

Actually, one of my favourite characters in the series, despite only appearing in one episode, was Sastre. He was really quite badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom