• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Ash Design

Which Ash design is the worst?

• Kanto/Johto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Unova (if u vote for this I will crush ur ribs)

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Kalos

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Alola

Votes: 57 60.6%
  • Galar

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters
Outfit wise, I think most of Ash's outfits are fine to me except for the Alola one. It's just never looked that appealing to me.

Design wise my favourites are Diamond and Pearl, Black and White (shocker, yes I know!) and XY.
Least favourite (not including M22) would be M21, he just looks super off there, even more so than S&M.

Also, I must be like, the only person who could barely notice a major design chance for Ash until S&M came.

OS is hard to review as there wasn't anything to compare it to. But I'd say that giving blue to him instead of red/orange like most shonen protagonists (and games Red himself) was smart, it makes a contrast with Pikachu. And who didn't want to use that jacket as a kid?

AG was fine. It fits him and makes Ash look sightly more mature.

DP is my favorite. Giving the blue a break was nice and he looks even more mature than before. The cap shouldn't have been a copy from the AG cap though.

BW is ok. He looks less mature than before but suits him well, and the cap is great.

XY is ok. His shirt is very well designed and he feels like a hero, but there's something I feel is lacking, I don't know what exactly.

SM is terrible and I'm glad to see it leading the poll. His face is odd, his clothes look like a 8 year old's (Elio suffers from that too) and they should had kept the black cap.

M21 is meh. It does look like "OS Ash but different", but the Spain flag neck looks very weird and his eyes are strange.
I Agree with SM ash's design being terrible; And I'm also NOT a fan of M21's Ash Design(especially not them eyes; or how It deviates from the animation of Pokemon the Movie: I Choose you) And I Do enjoy seeing Ash in 3D. . . It's about time that actually happened. . . I've always wanted to see a 3-Dimensional Version of Ash Ketchum. . .

His proportions were relatively the same until recently. Even now he's still about the same height and all, just with more rounded edges.

His proportions were relatively the same until recently. Even now he's still about the same height and all, just with more rounded edges.
even so; I hated his design once it was revealed; and I Still do!! hopefully Galar will have him return to the Pre-alola Artstyle; and We'll Never have the misfortune of seeing the One Piece-esque Artstyle of Pokemon the series: Sun & Moon; it debuted in Alola, and it should STAY in alola and never come back; This is my ONE expectation above all else for Pokemon The Series: Sword & Shield. . .

even so; I hated his design once it was revealed; and I Still do!! hopefully Galar will have him return to the Pre-alola Artstyle; and We'll Never have the misfortune of seeing the One Piece-esque Artstyle of Pokemon the series: Sun & Moon; it debuted in Alola, and it should STAY in alola and never come back; This is my ONE expectation above all else for Pokemon The Series: Sword & Shield. . .

But the Kalos design is the Pre-Alola artstyle. All they did was tighten his clothes and that made his legs look longer because he had baggy pants from AG to Kalos.

I'm surprised no one really mentioned this, but the biggest reason I don't like the SM design is how the lines on his face are so obvious and look really out of place. I think in Kalos they were drawn lighter and became a lot less noticeable, then in SM they are these long, wispy things that are drawn low enough in some shots to make him look like he has a creepy, thin mustache. I have always disliked his face lines, but they just seem so much more accentuated with the SM design, it just really bothers me. Even though I don't like the art-style in SM I think a lot of characters and Pokemon can still look good, but try as I might to ignore it, I just can't get over Ash's face lines.

I really don't like SM Ash's design. And not just because of the art style, but because of his attire. It's just feels like a copy-paste of Sun's clothes from the games. Yes, I know all of Ash's attires are supposed to have nods to the male PCs' clothes (Ash's clothes in XY are a shout-out to Red's getup in FRLG, he wear a hoodie in BW just like Hilbert does in the games, his DP design resembles Lucas's (especially in the color scheme department)). But they were nothing more than nods. At the end of the day, they still were original designs. But in SM, with the exception of some minor changes (the cap is red, his shirt's colors are inverted and the design as whole is somewhat less detailed than the one in the games), his getup is nothing more than a carbon copy of the PC's. Which just makes it feel unoriginal and unimaginative.

People thought Ash's Sinnoh outfit was bad? That is news to me, I don't recall people ever complaining about it before.

I think Ash's sinnoh designed aged terribly, rather than it was outright terrible. His design (like his original design) was a product of the time, however, nobody was wearing baggy pants like that by the end of the Sinnoh arc. And his outfit as a whole felt dated from the 2nd year onwards.

I think Ash's sinnoh designed aged terribly, rather than it was outright terrible. His design (like his original design) was a product of the time, however, nobody was wearing baggy pants like that by the end of the Sinnoh arc. And his outfit as a whole felt dated from the 2nd year onwards.
To be fair, I feel that applies to most of Ash's designs so far. I would even argue his design was somewhat stuck in the 90's up till XY (included).

I don't get the hate for the SM design - what else would y'all wear in a tropical climate?! Let the boy be free of his fancy gilet and fingerless gloves ensemble for a change...

I don't mind Ash's AG clothes, although I do find it amusing that he wore a freaking hoodie in a tropical region like Hoenn.

I highly doubt Ash will wear the beanie that the SwSh male wears. Caps are part of his iconic look and I can't see them changing that.

Anyway, as for my least favorite design, it's S/M. I don't like how they gave him the default outfit since the shirt and shoes are clearly supposed to represent Popplio and Ash did not get one. I personally wish they would have highlighted the customization feature and had Ash change to different outfit like Serena did in XY.

It's okay...I don't need my ribs.

It's not that Unova's design itself necessarily bad, but I don't like what it represents. By Hoenn and Sinnoh, Ash had progressed from an upstart young trainer to sort of a mentor figure for May and Dawn while still growing in his skills. 5th gen gives us a new big-eyed 10 year old and tries to convince us it's the same guy. I have this same issue with Alola Ash, and it coming right after Kalos was particularly jarring.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom