• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst baby design?

TapLover

Reaction score
Taking a twist on the "worst starter design" threads, this would have no poll cause we already have a page on baby Pokemon. What would be your say?

Smoochum is just bad. “Hey, let’s draw attention to Jynx by giving it a sunburned baby form!” Besides that, Chingling and Happiny are my least favorite baby Pokémon. They’re both completely pointless, not as cute as other baby Pokémon, and use the confounded incense breeding system that bugs me about the cross-generational babies from Gens 3 + 4.

Igglybuff, Smoochum and Happiny.

Just look at those monstrosities.

Igglybuff, no contest. It is just plain creepy-looking. Budew, Happiny and Elekid are pretty bad, too.

Cleffa is exactly how one would imagine a baby Clefairy to look, it doesn't add much outside looking more like a star.
Smoochum is disappointing after seeing the demo one. It's very simple and a bit creepy.

I actually like the Gen IV ones.

Smoochum is kind of odd. I like Jynx, but out of all the Gen 2 babies, I feel like Smoochum is the least effective at chibi-tizing its predecessor (actually, the one from the beta did a comparatively better job at that). While I do think it would be awkward if Jynx were the only one of those late-Dex humanoid Gen 1 Pokémon to not get a baby stage, the design of Smoochum goes a bit too far from Jynx's design (which already feels pretty "complete" to me), to the point that the gap between it and Jynx feels too wide. It's as if there needs to be a middle stage; a Gothorita to their Gothita and Gothitelle.

I think I'm fine with the rest of them.

Non-canon one: Beta Mime Jr. No wonder it got cut.

Canon one: I guess it's Wynaut, since I'm not a fan of Pokémon with no offensive moves.
Smoochum is just bad. “Hey, let’s draw attention to Jynx by giving it a sunburned baby form!” Besides that, Chingling and Happiny are my least favorite baby Pokémon. They’re both completely pointless, not as cute as other baby Pokémon, and use the confounded incense breeding system that bugs me about the cross-generational babies from Gens 3 + 4.
I guess the reason it doesn't look as much like Jynx was thanks to that controversy in the 90's. Take it with a BIG grain of salt, but I think that's why they replaced beta Smoochum.

I guess the reason it doesn't look as much like Jynx was thanks to that controversy in the 90's. Take it with a BIG grain of salt, but I think that's why they replaced beta Smoochum.
Yea, but with Jynx being unfavorable enough as it is, I don’t know why they bothered even giving it a baby form.

Yea, but with Jynx being unfavorable enough as it is, I don’t know why they bothered even giving it a baby form.
Well, I always thought they gave it a pre-evolution to go with the ones that Magmar and Electabuzz received since they looked like they formed a typical elemental trio. Doesn't help that Jynx's Psychic-Type looks like an after-thought.

Well, I always thought they gave it a pre-evolution to go with the ones that Magmar and Electabuzz received since they looked like they formed a typical elemental trio. Doesn't help that Jynx's Psychic-Type looks like an after-thought.

Well... Mr.Mime was also supposed to get a baby in gen 2.

People pair Electabuzz, Jynx and Magmar together, while i have always paired Jynx and Mr.Mime together, since both are Psychic types and are humanoids and this is supported in gen 4, when Mime.Jr became a thing to go with Smoochum.

Well... Mr.Mime was also supposed to get a baby in gen 2.

People pair Electabuzz, Jynx and Magmar together, while i have always paired Jynx and Mr.Mime together, since both are Psychic types and are humanoids and this is supported in gen 4, when Mime.Jr became a thing to go with Smoochum.

Definitely. Plus, they're both themed around a kind of physical performance art - miming for Mr. Mime, and dancing for Jynx. And considering how even Jynx's original Pokédex entry mentions that it can cause people to dance along with it (presumably through psychic persuasion), I'd say that if any element of Jynx feels like an afterthought, it's actually her Ice typing, which, at least personally speaking, I've never seen much of an immediate justification for. The claim in Bulbapedia's origin section for Jynx it is based on a yokai called the yama-uba, on the grounds that the yama-uba is "described as always wearing a tattered red kimono, having whitish-blonde hair, control over snow, dark-colored skin, and large lips," is as near as I can tell quite slanted to fit Jynx's profile, because even a cursory Google search for "yama-uba" yields no majority of such depictions, and plenty of alternative ones. (Though that is not to say that the yama-uba couldn't have been an inspiration for Jynx - there are aspects that I think match up, I just don't think it would specifically be the inspiration for Jynx's Ice typing. Sometimes I wonder if they really did just tack it on to add some type diversity, because without Jynx, the only Ice-types in Gen 1 are all weak to Electric, and we actually know that they aren't necessarily opposed to making a Pokémon have a certain type for such reasons, because that's kind of what happened with the likes of Stunfisk and Jellicent in Gen 5 - as I recall, they were originally designed as Water/Electric and pure Water, respectively, but adjustments were made to give Unova a slightly better range of types.)

Also, I think Mr. Mime and Jynx both have unusually pronounced hands, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Definitely. Plus, they're both themed around a kind of physical performance art - miming for Mr. Mime, and dancing for Jynx. And considering how even Jynx's original Pokédex entry mentions that it can cause people to dance along with it (presumably through psychic persuasion), I'd say that if any element of Jynx feels like an afterthought, it's actually her Ice typing, which, at least personally speaking, I've never seen much of an immediate justification for. The claim in Bulbapedia's origin section for Jynx it is based on a yokai called the yama-uba, on the grounds that the yama-uba is "described as always wearing a tattered red kimono, having whitish-blonde hair, control over snow, dark-colored skin, and large lips," is as near as I can tell quite slanted to fit Jynx's profile, because even a cursory Google search for "yama-uba" yields no majority of such depictions, and plenty of alternative ones. (Though that is not to say that the yama-uba couldn't have been an inspiration for Jynx - there are aspects that I think match up, I just don't think it would specifically be the inspiration for Jynx's Ice typing. Sometimes I wonder if they really did just tack it on to add some type diversity, because without Jynx, the only Ice-types in Gen 1 are all weak to Electric, and we actually know that they aren't necessarily opposed to making a Pokémon have a certain type for such reasons, because that's kind of what happened with the likes of Stunfisk and Jellicent in Gen 5 - as I recall, they were originally designed as Water/Electric and pure Water, respectively, but adjustments were made to give Unova a slightly better range of types.)

Also, I think Mr. Mime and Jynx both have unusually pronounced hands, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
But, on the other hand, another hand, Jynx didn't learn any Psychic-Type moves naturally until Gen V, and the ones she could learn are also shared with Electabuzz and Magmar.

I've never liked Mime Jr. I like Mr. Mime being its own weird little thing, and Mime Jr. takes away from that.

But, on the other hand, another hand, Jynx didn't learn any Psychic-Type moves naturally until Gen V, and the ones she could learn are also shared with Electabuzz and Magmar.

That is true, although I would say that a Pokémon being given a certain type is about more than offense. That said, I don't find the overlap with Electabuzz and Magmar's movesets to be very compelling - lots of Pokémon in Gen 1 can learn those same Psychic-type moves, including Mr. Mime.

I've never liked Mime Jr. I like Mr. Mime being its own weird little thing, and Mime Jr. takes away from that.

I think it's odd because, as much as I think Jynx feels like more of a counterpart to Mr. Mime than it does to Electabuzz and Magmar, Gen 4 comes around and tells me that, by virtue of Mime Jr., Mr. Mime is actually more of a counterpart to Sudowoodo (who was also given a baby stage at that time, and shares an even closer thematic parallel with Mr. Mime). Both Mime Jr. and Bonsly evolve by leveling up while knowing Mimic, and their lines were treated as counterparts in both DP and B2W2. And then, because Jynx is a dual-type and lacks a third stage to match Electivire and Magmortar, she ends up not really fitting into any pattern, becoming a sort of standalone entity.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom