• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst designs for final formes introduced in Gen 4

What is the worst design for a final form introduced in Gen 4?

• Ambipom

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Magnezone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lickilicky

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Tangrowth

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Electivire

• Magmortar

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Togekiss

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Porygon-Z

• Rhyperior

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yanmega

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Mamoswine

• Gliscor

• Gallade

• Probopass

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Dusknoir

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Froslass

• Weavile

• Roserade

• Glaceon

• Leafeon

• Mismagius

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Honchkrow

• Total voters

TapLover

Reaction score
Has this idea floating in my mind for a while...

Don't talk about Lickilicky here, it's plain obvious.

While I personally like Roserade, Leafeon and Glaceon, I can't help but notice you've left them off the list.
It’s been fixed!

As for the topic at hand...honestly, I don’t really dislike any of these evolutions, and I think they all improve their line in some way. If I had to choose a “least favorite,” though, maaaybe Dusknoir? Just because I personally think Dusclops was already cool enough aesthetically, and Dusknoir still needs movepool improvement. But again, I still like the thing.

While I personally like Roserade, Leafeon and Glaceon, I can't help but notice you've left them off the list.
I left Leafeon and Glaceon because they're Eeveelutions. And I forgot Roserade, can't add that in...

Magmortar, Electivire and Rhyperior are atrocious.

In one of the games (I forget which) I used Magmar, but then I decided to evolve it. It was so hideous I couldn't use it anymore. Although when I think about it, Magmar and Electabuzz aren't particularly appealing designs to begin with... Their evolutions just make things a hundred times worse.

Rhydon is still a fine, simplistic design IMO. Rhyperior I just can't deal with it. It ruined it all.

I don't find any of them to have a worst design or hate any of them personally. Though if I had to pick my least favorite of the group, then I'd go with Gliscor mainly cause I never really used it on a team. (still, I don't hate it)

Roserade: god-tier
Ambipom: weird but not super-objectionable, why does it look like a Beatle
Mismagius: absolutely god-tier
Honchkrow: fine, but inferior to Murkrow
Weavile: also fine, but inferior to Sneasel
Magnezone: I like Magnezone a lot as a standalone design, but I wish there were a smoother transition between Magnemite and it
Lickilicky: cute :giggle: but I prefer Lickitung
Rhyperior: oof
Tangrowth: I'm very fond of this one. Very consistent with Tangela, but manages to be that while also going in an unexpected direction.
Electivire: pretty solid
Magmortar: pretty much no
Togekiss: good, gives the Togepi line the conceptual endpoint that it always needed
Yanmega: oh look Yanma is finally not total garbage in-game (y) (also ancient huge dragonflies are fun)
Leafeon: god-tier
Glaceon: cliché snow princess
Gliscor: fine, but Gligar has more personality
Mamoswine: wish it looked a little more Piloswine-y, but it's good. Probably my least-favorite of the "ancient" evolutions, but the whole "extinct species" triptych of caveman/woolly mammoth/meganeura is a fun little mini-theme that I really appreciate them doing, especially without resorting to fossils
Porygon-Z: not really what I would have expected from a Porygon2 evolution, but perhaps that's better, because I think Porygon-Z is more creative and unexpected than what I think the more straightforward direction would have been. Obviously software development means dealing with bugs, so it's a fun idea to see what that's like when it comes to the digital Pokémon, and it ends up giving Porygon-Z quite a bit of character. This one had to grow on me, but I'd say I'm a fan of it now.
Gallade: I don't think I would ever choose Gallade over Gardevoir, and Gardevoir feels like a more natural conclusion to the Ralts line anyway. it's not a bad design but what does it add?
Probopass: hilarious
Dusknoir: doesn't do anything for me, Dusclops was better
Froslass: too cool for school and way better than Glalie. basically the inverse of the Gardevoir/Gallade ratio

i'd have to say my least-favorite is either Rhyperior or Magmortar. in general I don't like to be too harsh on Pokémon designs; I don't think there are any that I truly hate, but I just don't think the ideas they were going for with those two really paid off/were translated well. They just look really awkward to me, and especially in Rhyperior's case, I feel like the Rhyhorn line just didn't need it. I think Rhydon was already basically perfect as the endpoint.

Last edited:
I'd say Ambipom is the worst for being very ugly (especially with its udder-like tails) but then again its preevolution wasn't much better. Really though, I love all of these except Ambipom, Lickilicky, and maybe Probopass.

I usually don't care about this, but even I have to agree that they didn't really make Lickilicky any more appealing to the eyes than its pre-evo. Huge tongues are not the best design basis.

Probopass though? No, I'm not jumping on that hate train. This Pokémon has several unique concepts that may have fed into its overall design, such as Easter Island's moai statues, compasses, magnets, the bone that gives migratory birds their sense of direction by magnetoreception, the expression "follow your nose" and potentially even Nintendo's own mascot Mario.

If you care enough to dig deep into what makes up this Pokémon's physical appearance instead of quite literally dismissing it at face value, then you'll find that Probopass is more cleverly thought out than most would like to give it credit for. I wouldn't go so far as to use one for battling since Magnezone already does the Magnet Pull shenanigans well enough but it definitely doesn't deserve the hate.

In terms of giving a previous Pokemon a satisfying final form, Dusknoir. Its design is a mess and doesn't make much sense. Magmortar follows it closely as it's very ugly too, but at least is a reasonable evolution for Magmar.

In a weird way, because of its goofiness, Probopass sort of became one of my favorite Pokemon. But i also understand why people hate it.

For me, it's an even tie between Rhyperior and Tangrowth.

Had to go Magmortar. I never really liked the idea that Magmar and Electabuzz both got evolutions when it seemed like they really didn't even need evolutions. At least Electivire looks decent. But I find that Magmortar looks ugly as sin. It's an egg with legs, arm, a head, and flames attached to it.

Rhyperior is a close second. Rhydon was great, it did not need that weird looking evolution.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom