• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst designs for final formes introduced in Gen 4

What is the worst design for a final form introduced in Gen 4?

• Ambipom

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Magnezone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lickilicky

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Tangrowth

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Electivire

• Magmortar

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Togekiss

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Porygon-Z

• Rhyperior

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yanmega

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Mamoswine

• Gliscor

• Gallade

• Probopass

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Dusknoir

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Froslass

• Weavile

• Roserade

• Glaceon

• Leafeon

• Mismagius

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Honchkrow

• Total voters
Also missing Honchkrow and Mismagius in the poll. Though neither of them are my least favorite.

Toss up between Probopass. Magmortar, Lickilicky and Ambipom for actual worst strictly in terms of design.

I actually like Rhyperior's design, it just feels like an unnatural step up from Rhyhorn and Rhydon - perhaps they could incorporate that into the games' lore somehow. Similar feelings but to a lesser extent for Magnezone, Togekiss, and the aforementioned Mismagius.

Weavile's "headdress" is stupid looking but otherwise the design works.

To end on a positive note, Roserade, Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Honchkrow and Yanmega are the opposite; I like their designs and they make sense in the evolutionary line.

Most of the final evo's grew on me. Especially Magmortar since I used one for my Black 2 team and it was surprisingly good. Probopass, Electivire and Ambipom grew on me because I used them in my Pokemon Platinum nuzlocke. And Lickilicky... I don't know. It's so silly looking, I can't be upset with its design!
But there's one evo I really don't like: Togekiss. I love Togetic a lot. But Togekiss' design doesn't do it for me. The weird, oval shape just looks so off to me. I would've preferred more of a bird look than... a bath toy? I don't know how to describe it.

As for great final evo's. Roserade and Weavile take the cake! Roselia and Sneasel needed good evolutions and they certainly got them!

I think Tangrowth and Lickilicky look terrible. But that's partially because I already don't like Tangela and Lickitung.

Last edited:
Wow, I just realized how much I dislike the final evolved forms of old Pokemon that were introduced in Gen 4. I guess Probopass is the ugliest of the lot, but Tangrowth, Yanmega, and Magmortar are also up there on the ugly list.

Magmortar is a pet peeve of mine since Magmar has one of my favorite designs (an unpopular opinion, I know) and I feel like they totally wrecked its evo. I hate that it no longer has a long tail and that its huge hanging gut is spreading its skinny legs so far apart. It went from being a kool Chinese-dragon-rock-singer to just a fat brute.

Mismagius is getting on my nerves now for it's semi-ugly witch-like appearance (Cue all the Halloween-themed fanart of them)...

I've worked out a decent description of what fans thought back in the day over these (they all have competitive stats):
Many fans hated ones that had ugly factual features (eg. Lickilicky and Ambipom) and those semi-ugly useless evaluations of already-competitive Pokemon (eg. Electivire and Magmortar and does the list go on? (remember some fan-favourites like Porygon-Z and Magnezone fall into this category)). Fans adored the ones with near-identical factual features (eg. Weavile), creative designs (eg. Roserade, Gallade and Togekiss) and the styles go on....

The one I like less is Yanmega. I don't find it to be really creative and its name alone (Yanma + Mega ...) speaks for itself.

Most of these have grown on me over the years, but my least favorite of this bunch would have to be Dusknoir. Its design is a pretty big jump from Dusclops's, and I don't think it flows well at all. Maybe it's the color palette it uses, I don't know.

Same goes for Rhyperior, but Dusknoir bothers me more because Dusclops is one of my favorites from gen 3.

The one I like less is Yanmega. I don't find it to be really creative and its name alone (Yanma + Mega ...) speaks for itself.

Maybe the name isn't as appealing, but I do like the design. Makes it look like a very sick cyborg-like dragonfly. I think that deserves some merit.

Tangrowth, specially since I saw what it could be in the Spaceworld demo leak. Tangrowth is literally a bigger Tangela.

Agreed. It looks dismal and is honestly just a DYNAMAXED Tangela.

Maybe the name isn't as appealing, but I do like the design. Makes it look like a very sick cyborg-like dragonfly. I think that deserves some merit.
Yanmega, aside from its mega boring name, is pretty much a "copy and paste" of the extinct species which is based off and that's why I said it does not look creative to me. At least the rest of these Generation IV evolutions still look like Pokèmon to me and that's basically the reason why Yanmega is the one I like less.

I suppose I'm only proving my point that I really just can't bring myself to hate any Pokémon, but I voted on Rhyperior in this poll, and yet since then, working toward a Rhyperior in Pokémon GO has made me a little more fond of it. :)

One thing that I always like to do with designs I'm not a fan of is to zero in on the qualities that I do like or find interesting. So, something that I love is when Pokémon are designed to have a relationship with another species of Pokémon - when I can read a Pokédex entry and see another kind of Pokémon mentioned, to give some insight as to how they mutually behave in their environments. In Rhyperior's case, I like that it has that relationship with Geodude, where it will sometimes use them as projectiles for its palm cannons. (And I wonder, perhaps the Alolan sample of Geodude took an evolutionary cue from that, culminating in Alolan Golem's massive railgun? Golem's entry in Moon says that it will also sometimes use Geodude as projectiles.) I also like that Rhyperior develops an ankylosaurus tail, as those have always been one of my favorite dinosaurs. I do wish that it had more ways of utilizing its tail in battle, though.

Last edited:
I suppose I'm only proving my point that I really just can't bring myself to hate any Pokémon, but I voted on Rhyperior in this poll, and yet since then, working toward a Rhyperior in Pokémon GO has made me a little more fond of it. :)

I really like Rhyperior a lot imo! Its design looks very minimalistic compared to Rhydon, but it feels just like the appropriately sized armor! Nothing too fanciful, but nothing underwhelming either

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom