• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Gag Pokémon?

I dunno about that. The fact that that’s it’s only personality trait and that Go coddles and enables it does get annoying especially in the Falinks episode where he blames Ash for an issue Grookey started.
Having watched those sagas recently the sheer amount of times Oshawott or Chespin appear out of their balls just for some boring gag is far greater than Grookey not doing much but sitting on Go's shoulder. I don't even count Grookey as a gag pokemon for this reason because there's no forced humor with it.

I don't understand why Piplup is considered to be a gag pokemon, in all honesty. Sure, some gags accompany Piplup's character, but calling it a "gag pokemon" makes it seem like its only purpose is to bring a gag with it and I honestly can't remember any specific gags Piplup had aside from always getting hit by Gible's Draco Meteor. And that really shouldn't count since that is something that only appeared toward the end of DP. Has anyone actually defined what a "gag pokemon" is supposed to even mean? To me, it's a pokemon who's major point is one of its gags and everything else is pretty superfluous. What major gag does Piplup have? It's obnoxious personality? But that isn't a gag: that's it's personality, so calling it a gag pokemon just feels kind of silly.

Piplup started off with a very well defined personality, initially it was basically what Torchic should have been. Dawn even kept it in its ball for most of early DP. But then as DP went on the writers realized how popular the little penguin was and had it out all the time and getting into mischief and fighting with other pokemon like Turtwig or Dawn's Cyndaquil. And then the writers started making a lot of fillers for it to star in. So it started to rely on heavy gags as time went on.

The thing is Piplup could also actually battle, it's relationship with Dawn was well defined and enjoyable, and unlike say Torchic which was just forgettable and treated like an afterthought, Piplup felt like part of the team with Pikachu and you can see that in all the old DP promo material that has Pikachu/Piplup together.

I don't understand why Piplup is considered to be a gag pokemon, in all honesty. Sure, some gags accompany Piplup's character, but calling it a "gag pokemon" makes it seem like its only purpose is to bring a gag with it and I honestly can't remember any specific gags Piplup had aside from always getting hit by Gible's Draco Meteor. And that really shouldn't count since that is something that only appeared toward the end of DP. Has anyone actually defined what a "gag pokemon" is supposed to even mean? To me, it's a pokemon who's major point is one of its gags and everything else is pretty superfluous. What major gag does Piplup have? It's obnoxious personality? But that isn't a gag: that's it's personality, so calling it a gag pokemon just feels kind of silly.
People consider Piplup a Gagmon because it kinda paved the way for Oshawott, Chespin and Rowlet.

While yes Piplup was more fleshed out than the aforementioned 3, some of Piplup's more negative traits carried onto to the Gagmons who came later like @Picardluke said; getting into mischief, staring in fillers, fighting with other Pokémon, etc...

Hell Oshawott and Piplup were even portrayed as being almost the exact same character in BW
4bb9d7204ec23dcc0d26f79545b3f856c7b2a155_hq.gif
AETr.gif
JAns.gif
SeveralVacantBonobo-size_restricted.gif
6EXFMtC.gif

Last edited:

I agree with you, Piplup cannot be defined as just a "gag Pokémon". In fact, Piplup was a central character in Diamond and Pearl who served several purposes. But, among those purposes, there was the comic one, of causing laughs and smiles, which didn't work for me. And, as Rainbow-Rain said, Piplup can be thought of as the forerunner of some others "gag Pokémon".

Last edited:
Worst gag pokemon : Morpeko who starved Team Rocket to the point of making them look like walking corpses. It was not funny at all!
Oh tell me about it.

Here's a post I made ages ago

Well now that Sobble is gone we can take him out of the running

MORPEKO has definitely taken the spot for the Worst Gag mon!

This thing has NO redeeming qualities, it eats EVERYTHING, and only exists to make TR's lives more miserable.

Which makes it look even WORSE after coming off of Bewear, Mimikyu and Mareanie who genuinely adored TR despite their quirks

Screw this thing! It has surpassed Plusle and Minun as my least favorite Pikachu Clone ever. I won't miss it when it leaves for the next Gen!

Nah Rowlet was competent. He was just lazy
Yeah, the problem with Rowlet is that he was too unrealistically powerful and skilled despite his general lack of work ethic. Made all the more jarring by the fact that literally every other Pokemon of Ash's was constantly seen training and improving themselves whereas Rowlet only did that stuff sporadically, yet he was somehow just as strong as the rest. Maybe it'd make more sense if Rowlet was fully evolved and the rest of Ash's Pokemon weren't ala Charizard back in the Original Series, but no: the exact opposite was true. And even Charizard faced serious consequences for his bad habits whereas Rowlet was only ever rewarded for his. Rowlet is literally the equivalent of that one kid who slacks off in every group project and at best only puts in the bare minimum of contributions but still gets a passing grade just because the teacher likes him.

Yeah, the problem with Rowlet is that he was too unrealistically powerful and skilled despite his general lack of work ethic. Made all the more jarring by the fact that literally every other Pokemon of Ash's was constantly seen training and improving themselves whereas Rowlet only did that stuff sporadically, yet he was somehow just as strong as the rest. Maybe it'd make more sense if Rowlet was fully evolved and the rest of Ash's Pokemon weren't ala Charizard back in the Original Series, but no: the exact opposite was true. And even Charizard faced serious consequences for his bad habits whereas Rowlet was only ever rewarded for his. Rowlet is literally the equivalent of that one kid who slacks off in every group project and at best only puts in the bare minimum of contributions but still gets a passing grade just because the teacher likes him.
What’s made even worse is the way it learned Razor Leaf. It was sleeping on a tree that Tapu Bulu released energy into and instantly learned a new move. That’s right, the series actually rewarded it for its laziness as if the other points of its bare minimum effort wasn’t bad enough.

People consider Piplup a Gagmon because it kinda paved the way for Oshawott, Chespin and Rowlet.

While yes Piplup was more fleshed out than the aforementioned 3, some of Piplup's more negative traits carried onto to the Gagmons who came later like @Picardluke said; getting into mischief, staring in fillers, fighting with other Pokémon, etc...

Hell Oshawott and Piplup were even portrayed as being almost the exact same character in BWView attachment 153194View attachment 153195View attachment 153196View attachment 153197View attachment 153198
I don't like both pokemons from the start. I like chimchar, snimy, turtwig, and turtwig

Thing is, Rowlet wasn’t incompetent, or at least the writers made sure to hammer that into our skulls. He was, somehow, just as powerful as the rest of the team and consistently proved that... which was bullshit, but it is what it is.
It also had perhaps one of the worst rivalries in the other anime. I've never understood why it was so passionate to defeat a Pokémon it had already beaten before.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom