• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Gag Pokémon?

I love Jigglypuff. I don’t even care if it’s because of nostalgia, it legitimately cracked me up as a kid when it drew all over everyone’s faces. What an absolute Queen.

I love when they play with it, like putting it up against Whismur because of its Soundproof ability. It’s even provided resolution to episodes as well.

Ash's Oshawott, without any shred of hesitation in my body. You're never gonna get the slightest chuckle out of me when your principle gag involves you being a greedy bastard who enjoys swiping your friend's food with no remorse. Especially so considering how when we first saw said friend, he was nothing but skin and fucking bones!

The fact someone decided it would be "funny" to make Pignite the frequent victim of Oshawott's shitty habit still staggers me to this day. Would it be funny if I took food from a recovering anorexic? Heck no.

Ash's Oshawott, without any shred of hesitation in my body. You're never gonna get the slightest chuckle out of me when your principle gag involves you being a greedy bastard who enjoys swiping your friend's food with no remorse. Especially so considering how when we first saw said friend, he was nothing but skin and fucking bones!

The fact someone decided it would be "funny" to make Pignite the frequent victim of Oshawott's shitty habit still staggers me to this day. Would it be funny if I took food from a recovering anorexic? Heck no.
Its habit of popping out of its Poké Ball to battle, only to get defeated or outright refuse to battle after seeing its opponent also annoyed me.

Its habit of popping out of its Poké Ball to battle, only to get defeated or outright refuse to battle after seeing its opponent also annoyed me.
Me too, but the sheer tactlessness behind his main habit kinda forced this other gag trait more to the back of my head.

Seriously: that was so... ugh I don't even know the word.

Who in their right mind thought ''Hey! Know what would be funny to do with a Pokémon that almost died of starvation and that had been tied to a pole and that had it's mouth tied up so it wouldn't escape, much less eat, in one of the most brutal and shocking scenes of our entire anime???? A little a-hole who steals it's food and gets away with it!!! Wouldn't that just be so much fun?" ?

Like, I genuinely wonder who approved this. No one in the entire studio went ''Hey maybe we shouldn't?". This is yet another thing that makes me wonder if the writers just don't take a step back sometimes and really see what they are doing with a very critical eye.

I love Ash’s Oshawott but that was heartless on the writers part. Don’t call my boy evil though.

So what's the verdict on Grookey so far?
It's boring.

crickets chirping

Oh...and it has no gripping and compelling connection to the narrative, has no interesting characteristics, no positive traits, no engrossing relationships, no compelling story, and never suffers any consequences from its stupid "hitting stuff with stick" gag which wasn't even all the funny in the first place. :confused_emoji:

Grookey is just boring. It doesn't do much. I think the episode with it and Eevee was good but other than that, there isn't much to say about it. Its gag is super annoying, but Morpeko and Oshawott are way more messed up when they don't get punished. At least they have personality, though. But they're still worse.

For the matter of Grookey, I feel truly indifferent about him. He is... just there. There is nothing to particularly like or dislike about him for me.

In the other hand, I find it less dislikeable compared to the likes such as... Oshawott. What really used to push me about him is how he acts like a super hero, trying to steal the thunder only to end up quitting scared, repeatedly, every single time, never actually learning anything. Then there is Chespin, but I guess he would have escalated better, had he had the opportunity to improve. He just lacked a goal, unlike all Ash's Pokémon who are meant to train and battle in the end of the day.

Well, the first "gag Pokémon" that I disliked was Dawn's Piplup, and that was less about the gags themselves and more about the Pokémon's attitude itself.

Piplup was always bickering with other Pokémon, it was easily irritated and highly explosive. Furthermore, it was excessively proud, "too full of itself" to the point of being abnoxius. And, at the same time, it was a whiner who was constantly pampered by its trainer. The gags around its, like that of Draco Meteor, never captivated me either.

In short, "It's excessively whiny, bratty, and has this spunky little attitude thing going on. When you couple that with the fact that it's always shoved down our throats, it's not a very good combination". That said, the Penguin Pokémon certainly had some good features too, but this often felt like an emulation of Pikachu's qualities.

Nonetheless, as others have commented extensively, the most obnoxious and annoying Pokémon in the anime was Ash's Oshawott. Which seems to have all the faults of Piplup and more, as it has almost none of the redeeming features.

Last edited:
Oshawott. Being unfunny is bad enough already, but Oshawott's Imma-constantly-steal-food-from-my-traumatized-teammate-and-get-away-with-it-because-it's-somehow-okay-if-a-cute-character-does-it gag took it up a notch and went straight into downright mean-spirited territory which didn't sit well with me at all. I get what they were going for with this: the idea of a tiny otter having a bigger appetite than a pig (an animal frequently stereotyped as being gluttonous) does have some good comedic potential in theory, but the problem is that they did this while also giving Pignite a traumatic backstory where he nearly starved, meaning the joke inevitably fell flat. Guess I'll add that to the ever-growing list of reasons why Pignite should have gotten a different backstory... I mean, I seriously doubt I would have found Oshawott's food-stealing tendencies funny regardless, but at least they wouldn't come across as horribly cruel...
I was going to write Morpeko, and was sighing at the thought of writing a manuscript, but this happens to be an exact description. Just crank it up to eleven and you get Morpeko.

Grookey is dull but not annoying. Oshawott and Chespin had far more intrusive and forced moments in eps than anything Grookey has done.

Grookey is dull but not annoying. Oshawott and Chespin had far more intrusive and forced moments in eps than anything Grookey has done.
I dunno about that. The fact that that’s it’s only personality trait and that Go coddles and enables it does get annoying especially in the Falinks episode where he blames Ash for an issue Grookey started.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom