• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Worst Max Raid NPC Partners

That fucking cabbie

Also, the Eevee fan always just spams Helping Hand -_-

(Side-note: If you want your AI partners to at least be a little more durable, try raising the Pokémon you're using up to Lv100. Apparently, the AI partners' levels scale up to a percentage of your own, maxing out at Lv70 when you use a Lv100 Pokémon.)

Wobbufet is the worst. Even for the AI's standards, his Trainer's AI is insanely stupid, as he just randomly cycles through Wobby's limited moves with no real idea of what he's doing. Though the Solrock is definitely a close second place, as all it ever does is spam status boosting moves... only for those gains to be negated by the Max Raid boss's special stat-change negation ability the next turn. Rarely will it actually use an attacking move, and when it does it does squat for the situation.

Whoever it is that writes the strategy posts for the official Pokémon site are some madlads:
"If you're looking for a reason to engage in Max Raid Battles beyond having fun with your friends (or with game-controlled Trainers, like Martin and that darn Solrock that won't stop using Cosmic Power), there are quite a few."

You know things are bad when the Magikarp is one of the more desirable npcs (except it always misses).

That Magikarp has actually managed an astoundingly good hit rate whenever it’s shown up for me :eek:

Last edited:
Wobbuffet and Solrock have gotta be the worst. Wobbuffet rarely does anything useful. 99% of the time its moves fail. Solrock is also bad because of the spam of moves like Cosmic Power, which ends up getting negated anyway. Its especially frustrating when the Pokemon has a shield up.

Honestly fuck Wobbuffet and and Solrock. They're such useless partners.

Solrock boosts itself then gets negated the next round and one shot in the same turn. Rarely does it ever attack, and when it does, it doesn't do anything useful.

Wobbuffet spams Counter when it never gets attacked. Just bleh.

Another qualm to have, for sure. Which is why I always Dynamax first chance I get because they won't.

The most useful for sure is Magikarp. Salazzle is also helpful but gets OHKO'd easily because a lot of Dynamax Pokemon have ground type moves at their disposal.

It's surprising how useful the Magikarp is, despite every bit of dex data calling it the "most pathetic" Mon in existence. It helps that it carries around a Focus Sash (which makes those Flails surprisingly potent). For me, however, the absolute best NPC is the Lass with the Weavile. Sure, it's a Weavile, so it can't take a hit, but it has the most useful move selection of them all (Ice Shard, Metal Claw, Assurance, and Slash), is very quick, and tends to get the most licks in, as well as deals the most damage. Whenever I face a Max Raid Battle, I almost celebrate when that Lass appears, as her Weavile has been a deciding factor several times in many Max Raid Battles. Like I said before, it can't take a bloody hit, but it can sure dish them out like there's no tomorrow.

People are actually praising the Magikarp NPC? You've got to be kidding me. That NPC has lost me multiple raids. Even worse it's lost me raids when the only NPC was the Magikarp. It always gets knocked out in one hit and it's completely worthless. Any time I see that Magikarp NPC I know that it's likely we'll lose.

Wobbufet is terrible.

But the worst one is Martin and his Solrock, only because I get him most often.

Martin winds me up so much, most of the time he just uses buffing moves but still gets one hit KO'd without doing anything useful. I think he's contributed something useful to made 2 of the 100 times I've had him as a partner - the damned Wobuffet has been more use to me than Solrock!

Wobbuffet. Or Poppy and her Pikachu. At least the Eevee tries to boost with Helping Hand but that friggin' Wobbuffet is useless. Ugh.

Speaking of Eevee, there was one time when Eevee used Helping Hand… on Wobbuffet. I didn’t know whether I wanted to laugh or scream in frustration.

And yeah, while Magikarp isn’t the best AI you could have, at least it’s better than Wobbuffet and Solrock.

If we want to talk about good teammates, there are certainly Weavile, Hawlucha, Salazzle and Jolteon. Those are among the best partners you could get. Snorlax, Clefairy and Mudbray can be fairly useful, too.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom