• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Worst mega evolution design?

TapLover

Reaction score
No one saw this coming... But I felt like doing this

I'd rather say Mega Latias, cause they reused the EXACT same design as Mega Latios, so they're both blue but different movesets. Maybe the designer has on drugs?

Arcanine10

Reaction score
I'm actually not a fan of Mega Gyarados. I get why it's design is that way, but it takes away lot of the intimidation factor when his upperpart looks like a balloon.

Mega Latias and Mega Latios are like nice designs. I just think they took the lazy way out by making them look identical.

And while I love Mega Tyranitar, I think it would look better without that long horn on its head.

Vulpix037

Rabbit Pokémon
Reaction score
My least favourite Mega Evolution is definitely Mega Lopunny, despite the fact that I like Lopunny itself, because it just looks boring and ugly compared to normal Lopunny.

Exegguidor

Reaction score
No one saw this coming... But I felt like doing this

I'd rather say Mega Latias, cause they reused the EXACT same design as Mega Latios, so they're both blue but different movesets. Maybe the designer has on drugs?
So why not hate Mega Latios if they are the same to you?

In all seriousness: they belong to the same species and have genders. So it actually makes sense to give them similar (since they are not exactly the same) Mega Evolutions.

Tactician Karina

mains Joker's Crow alt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan both mega evos for Mewtwo, they just look really ugly to me.

lordfridge

Good Hunter
Reaction score
Mega Charizard X
It's a cool design, and the Charizard line is my favourite from Gen 1, but it's just unfair to give it 2 megas.
If I were loyal to the Bulbasaur or Squirtle line, that would bug me a lot.

Stratelier

Reaction score
I have a lot of minor gripes about several Mega evolutions...
Mega Charizard X: The flames around the mouth and black (shiny green) base color.
Mega Houndoom: The upturned horns.
Mega Aerodactyl: Needs to shave that goatee.
Mega Mewtwo X/Y: Just because it's Mewtwo.

But my worst mega design goes to Mega Manectric -- take this guy to Frisier Furfrou and give his body a shave, he NEEDS it. Manectric had a lithe, sleek silhouette but the excessive fur on his mega ruins it. Also, he loses the iconic foot tufts.

Last edited:

Aulos

Winds <3
Reaction score
I want to say Mega Swampert (to me it follows some of the design decisions that led to the wayyy overdesigned Rhyperior) but I'm not a huge fan of Swampert's design to begin with, and actually the more I look at it the more I'm like "Eh, it's not that bad." So, I guess, in the end I've got nothing. None of them are that bad to me.

neonloyd

Reaction score
My least fave is Mega Salamence because it looks a bit weird.

Rockapheller

Trainer since late 90's
Reaction score
Mega Venusaur and Blastoise are fine, but compared to Mega Charizard X and Y, they could be more creative than these. It is obvious the other two starters weren't thought through. Mega Latios and Latias are also the "easy path" victims in my book.

Mega Scizor and Mega Heracross are plain pain in the eye to look at. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire introduced relatively better designs for Mega Evolutions, but Salamence is still odd.

Esserise

if i were you, i'd dress myself in silver
Reaction score
Mega Tyranitar feels the least inspired to me. I think it, more than any other, can be reasonably accused of just adding lots of random spikes to a design that was already sufficiently complete. Most of the other Mega Evolutions have at least some rooting in the Pokémon's established profiles, even if it comes at a bit of a stretch (for instance, Swampert was always recognized in the Pokédex for its strength, but visually it never seemed especially muscular). And Mega Tyranitar kinda... looks like it's wearing a life jacket? That being said, I do like the head spike, and how that ties it back to Larvitar's design.

Also, while I get the idea behind most of Mega Heracross's aesthetic design choices, I don't understand why its fighting style suddenly becomes concentrated on Skill Linked projectiles? I would think that becoming a more overt Hercules beetle would amplify its raw physical strength, not cause it to suddenly develop a specialization in techniques that Heracross can't normally make much use of.

ItalianBaptist

Informed Casual
Reaction score
Mega Tyranitar feels the least inspired to me. I think it, more than any other, can be reasonably accused of just adding lots of random spikes to a design that was already sufficiently complete.
Mega Aerodactyl says hello, but I do get what you're saying.

Thinking it through there were actually a few that irked me, including Aerodactyl, Heracross, and [email protected] But the piece de resistance of badness has to go to Mega Glalie. I didn't particularly care for Glalie's design to begin with, but the wide open mouth looks awful and the Pokedex entry makes things even worse.