• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst mega evolution design?

Gardevoir who's already one of the most overrated Pokemon ever and with it's mega just gets uglier and fatter.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Rayquaza's. There is just too much going on there, the weird protrusions on its face are off-putting, and it makes the Mon way overpowered (and being how Rayquaza is partially inspired by Quetzalcoatl, it kind of irks me how they disfigure the poor snake). Same with Mewtwo, especially the X one... and it's hideous!

At least the Mega Y Mewtwo is interestingly creepy and reminds me of Freezer (also, the way he actually shrinks when reaching his ultimate form, just like Mewtwo). So I count that one out of this thread.

Also, Pidgeot's. It has really bad hair and it looks like it went all Super Saiyan. Not good at all to me.

Last edited:
After mulling it over for a bit, I think Mega Rayquaza is my least favorite mega evolution. It’s so overdesigned that it’s quite ugly looking in my opinion. It’s a perfect example of how more is less sometimes.

Last edited:
I really like the color balance on Mega Ray; the green and black with gold and amber accents. The design itself I'll admit is maybe a bit too much in some places (I don't know why it has to have two different insignias on its head?) but what mainly bugs me about it is how much curvier it is (look at its head/upper back fins and forearms) than regular Rayquaza, which uses a lot of sharp angles and straight lines which I think are a large part of what contribute to its "cool" feeling. Comparison kinda makes Mega Ray look sort of... wilted? Or perhaps more naughtily phrased, if you'll bear with me, flaccid?

That said, one thing I do like about the 3D model of Rayquaza in particular is how the streamers are actually transparent; unlike on the stock art you can still see the body parts they're obscuring. It's a touch that I think comes at the benefit of 3D; it would have been harder to express that as fully in sprite form.

I'd rather say Mega Latias, cause they reused the EXACT same design as Mega Latios, so they're both blue but different movesets. Maybe the designer has on drugs?
Well, to be honest, those two Mega Evolutions aren’t exactly the same. Mega Latios has red eyes and Mega Latias has orange eyes. But yeah, reusing the same design seems a bit dull to me. I prefer the looks of the base forms.

Well, to be honest, those two Mega Evolutions aren’t exactly the same. Mega Latios has red eyes and Mega Latias has orange eyes. But yeah, reusing the same design seems a bit dull to me. I prefer the looks of the base forms.

I think Mega Latias is also very slightly smaller?

But yeah I can't say I'm wowed by these two. "Well they're twins so... what if we just made them the same haha?" Aside from that, the Mega versions also seem significantly less aerodynamic too me. The normal forms tuck in their arms when they fly, causing them to look very streamlined and compact, which is perfect. Neither of the Megas do that; they just let their big lumpy forearms (that are pretty much the size of their boy) hang out, still connected by that bony, underdeveloped upper arm. Here's the animations

Mega Manectric, I’d say. For a pokemon that’s stated to be as fast as a lightning bolt, I can’t get over how clunky and unbalanced it looks with that huge bulky haircut.

Mega Manectric is odd for me in that I find the design to be a significant improvement on the original, but I feel like it looks a lot better-proportioned in the official art than it does in-game (seems kinda top heavy). I think it's because of how the forelegs are more splayed out in the artwork. The model is more tucked in and feels like you could tip it over with a poke.

Mega Heracross would have to be the worst in terms of how much it tarnishes a good design. I only like Mega Pidgeot, Kangaskhan, Houndoom, Absol, Sableye and Audino, though.

IMO, it's Mega Dugtrio. Game Freak could have come up with a more creative design than simply... adding a human hairdo to the Dugtrio triplets. It's not just lazy but also plain weird.

Uhh that's the alolan form you're talking about. (And for the record alolan dugtrio has amazing hair :p)

And on a slightly off topic thing, but still very much related, even though lucario is basically my favorite, i dislike the design for it a lot. However, Mega Lucario has a pretty cool design, so... that's my thoughts on lucario *laughs awkwardly*

Uhh that's the alolan form you're talking about. (And for the record alolan dugtrio has amazing hair :p)
*facepalm* Cripes. And to think that I just realized my error moments before seeing this reply. Shows that all these gimmicky forms are starting to blur together for me. :oops: (But I will never agree with that point, ever.)

Honestly, I can't think of any megas that stand out as bad to me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom