• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Mythical Pokemon?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I just want to know

Mine:
3: Deoxys (Never really found Deoxys fascinating really)
2: Magearna (Its design is very lacking)
1: Genesect (I absolutely despise Genesect it's design is far from average and It's a Bug/Steel type and I don't see much buggyness about it honestly I feel their isn't much to like about Genesect)

There isn't really a lot of Mythical Pokemon I like anyway. Most of them at best mildly interest me. The only ones I can genuinely say I like are Jirachi, Meloetta, Diancie and Pecharunt; while I at least have a mild soft spot for Shaymin-Land form and Zarude.

• Keldeo is something that I disliked even when I was younger. I just can't bring myself to like every single one of the Swords of Justice...

• Hoopa-Unbound is an ugly mess that almost hearkens to the overly decorated pantheon of dragons of Gen IV. You'd think I'd appreciate a djinn-inspired demonic kaiju whose entire gimmick is a conceptual predecessor to the Ultra Wormholes of Gen 7, but it rubs me the wrong way. For the record, Hoopa-Confined is... okay. It feels like something I should also theoretically like since I have a predilection for mischievous wisps, and its chibi appearance resembles a post-Return to Dream Land era Kirby character design.. I guess the slightly overcomplicated design and me still being particularly nettled about Ghost/Psychic still being relegated to Legendaries/Mythicals rubs me the wrong way.

• Volcanion is utterly superfluous and feels like a half-baked way to settle an oft-requested typing. To this day I don't even really see much else other than a vaguely reptilian creature with a loose steam motif. There's boundless ideas you could play with Fire/Water and what came out was some grotesque quadruped thing?

• I've had declared Zeraora as my most disliked Mythical and it still holds today. I can't believe Gen 7: a generation that I can sincerely say almost rivals Gen 3 as my personal favorite generation, caps off with such a generic, half-dashed creature that seemingly only exists to provide a popular anthropomorphic Pokemon in lieu of Lucario. I disliked it the moment I've had gazed upon it from datamining, and most of what I learned only made me detest it more. Being a garish bipedal thing that seemingly exists to pander is one thing, but looking at its excuse of 'lore' from various materials I can surmise one thing: it doesn't have a solid gimmick at all. Compare that to the aforementioned Zarude. Sure, the primate doesn't come off as a deity as much as most Mythicals and Legendaries are typically portrayed, but it has a specific concept. It's a towering species of monkey with prehensile vines; it's a spin on how simians are portrayed as arboreal creatures that suspend and swing from vines. And while it doesn't seem to derive any specific simian creatures from both mythology and/or cryptozoology, it's clearly characterized as something of a vicious and extant yet fleetingly seen or social tribe of beasts. Which again, not particularly specific, but it loosely comes off as an analogue to horrendous shaggy beasts like sasquatches, skunk apes, and as Bulbapedia's Origin section anecdotes: the Shug Monkey and Carew Ape. Meanwhile, what little we're told of Zeraora is, according to a tie-in manga adaptation of the movie that it was promoted from: it was apparently spawned into being when a lightning bolt descended into a volcano. And according to external information from a once-online external Sun/Moon webpage: it has to gather electricity from external sources from lacking a proper organ to produce galvanic energy. While you can argue the latter bit to be reflected by Volt Absorb, nothing about this creature other than the manga implicates such a ludicrous backstory, design-wise or capability speaking. Literally the closest one could attribute volcanic aspects on it without this obscure backstory is that it can be taught Blaze Kick. The Pokedex only ever tells you that it tears apart opponents and electrocutes them at the same time; it doesn't tie any implements of whatever the volcano backstory is meant to symbolize or its supposed inability to conduct electricity on its lonesome. It's such a mess of a backstory that it only just validates my admittedly specific annoyances regarding this one Pokemon that is just seemingly meant to pander to people that want 'badass anthro furry Pokemon'.
...look, I didn't mean to write an essay but that electric cat really ticks me.

Last edited:
I have no clue why Phione even exists. I don't even know if it technically counts as mythical because apparently even some of the games themselves don't seem to think it does.

Also... I think Zarude is really really ugly. I despise the Patrat line because I find its red eyes make it look like a rabid, possessed creature-thing that would chew my eyes out if I got too close. Zarude gives me the same vibes. And, I get that it's a Dark-type, but I really think there's too much black in its design; it doesn't look good to me at all.

Phione is pretty useless and uninteresting, but if it doesn't fully count then I'd say Manaphy and Volcanion for me. The former was mainly because of it's movie admittedly, which made me really despise the stupid thing, and it's design is boring and bland. The latter I just never cared for, never used it and have no urge to either; though I do find it amusing that my mind immediately goes into thinking it's more so a Digimon than a Pokemon, that said I still wouldn't like it even if it was lol.

I was tempted to add Zarude as well since it almost looks to be based on a baboon (gross), but I surprisingly sort of warmed up to it somewhat. Not to the point that I like it, but it's saying something since I don't like most primate 'mons aside from Passimian and Grafaiai (because I do like lemurs).

zeraora is horrible in literally every way honestly. and i don't see anything that neat about volcanion either.
i'm cool with or even like the others to some extent, except maybe for keldeo and zarude. basic answers, yes, but let's face it... they're just not that good. d:
Am I the only one here who actually likes Phione? :ROFLMAO:
i actually really like phione. is it superfluous? yes. is it adorable? also yes.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like Zeraora. Man's so generic and feels corporately manufactured. Also he resembles incineroar quite a bit... In the generation that already gave us incineroar. All of this leading to one of the most nothing Pokemon for me

I don't hate Zeraora, but it is a bit forgettable to me. But the one I do genuinely forget is Zarude. I feel like if I watched the movie with it, I would like it more? But then I would have to remember it lol. But also, I prefer cute pokemon over "cool" pokemon (unless it appeals to my brain chemistry like Gallade or Haxorus), so they probably just aren't for me.

Am I the only one here who actually likes Phione? :ROFLMAO:
Maybe, because I don't like Phione... I love it. Silly lil fren :bulbaCute:

i quite like zeraora, my friend used to play them all the time in unite and i thought it looked adorable! as for zarude…i’ve stopped keeping up to date with the new pokemon since games started being made for the switch so i couldn’t care less about them

besides zarude, however, melmetal is definitely the most forgettable for me. meltan’s kinda cute, but i never got too into pogo/haven’t really watched the anime and they’re not groundbreaking in design or typing, so i tend to forget about them. the only thing i find cool about them is the fact that they’re constantly liquid metal, so they look pretty cool in art pieces !

the rest of them are pretty decent at best. i didn’t like magearna at first but i’ve come to appreciate it’s cool design, and volcanian has a pretty cool typing imo

Hoopa - both Formes are ugly, and Magician isn't useful in battle.
Volcanion - a waste of a really cool typing, ugly design, and can't learn Surf nor Waterfall for some reason.
Phione - not sure if it is actually a Mythical, but it is boring and useless in battle.
I also dislike: Melmetal, Marshadow, Pecharunt, and Zarude.

Lore:
  • Phione: it's cute but feels very useless, I'd pay for an interview where it's confirmed what is its real purpose and why was it created.
  • Volcanion: the lack of relevance and in-game events hit it hard, couldn't even carry its own movie as it relied more on Magearna's lore and looks.
  • Marshadow: Probably the biggest case of wasted potential regarding mythicals.
  • Zeraora: Chidamari explained it perfectly.
  • Meltan: Why is it a mythical if it appears in large amounts?
  • Zarude: It's not terrible but everything on it feels so average. Looks, typing, powers, movie...It's clear they created it more out of obligation.

Looks: Zeraora, Zarude, Pecharunt.

Last edited:
I usually don't answer to these kind of "worst things" threads but I have the feeling to say Zeraora looks quite ridiculous. Another one I don't like is Terrakion as its face feels flat in every way. I'd also add Azelf to the list as I don't like its overly opened eyes.
And to finish off, Kubfu and Urshifu. Ah, they look extremely ugly to say the least.

As for Keldeo who I see very hated... I think it looks cool but its movepool sucks so bad it isn't even funny.

I usually don't answer to these kind of "worst things" threads but I have the feeling to say Zeraora looks quite ridiculous. Another one I don't like is Terrakion as its face feels flat in every way. I'd also add Azelf to the list as I don't like its overly opened eyes.
And to finish off, Kubfu and Urshifu. Ah, they look extremely ugly to say the least.

As for Keldeo who I see very hated... I think it looks cool but its movepool sucks so bad it isn't even funny.
I actually like Keldeo...

I was sad to hear it was hated :(

Lore:
  • Phione: it's cute but feels very useless, I'd pay for an interview where it's confirmed what is its real purpose and why was it created.
  • Volcanion: the lack of relevance and in-game events hit it hard, couldn't even carry its own movie as it relied more on Magearna's lore and looks.
  • Zeraora: Chidamari explained it perfectly.
  • Zarude: It's not terrible but everything on it feels so average. Looks, typing, powers, movie...It's clear they created it more out of obligation.

Looks: Zeraora, Zarude, Pecharunt.
Meltan is actually one of my favorite mythicals

i love azelf and the lake trio in general! they’re pretty silly looking but i have a big soft spot for them for some reason

Marshadow. Gonna keep it short, from a lore standpoint it's just a random Pokémon that hides under shadows for so long, people in the overworld hardly know it exists, therefore it's mythical. This is a glorified Gengar.

It was left without a real role or story to it until Pokémon The Movie I Choose You, where the one time it was given something, it ultimately tarnished it to throw a temper tantrum for not getting what it wants. Iirc twas tasked to protect the holder of the Rainbow Wing, and ensure they reach Ho-Oh. Instead Marshadow just sat there and watched, chickening out of responsibility, only to go insane and try to kill everyone, including Ash himself, the moment Ash lost hold of the Rainbow Wing. This ending ultimately ruined the whole movie for me and is part of why I find this mythical awful.

Aside from that its presence in the games have made the competitive formats it debuted in much less desirable, as it flipped the metagame over its head by forcing players to run teams more dedicated to balance rather than offense. It caused the metagames to be a lot more overcentralized, forming it into a way that was less fun for many top players even, and punished any teams built without consideration of facing Marshadow to a degree so high it becomes less manageable than when the same is done for Mega Ray. I've been a strong part of the Anything Goes community since virtually the metagame's inception, and have only seen reception on Marshadow's presence being universally detrimental among all players who've played Anything Goes prior to release and after its release. Especially from top level players in the game. For me personally? This Pokémon gave me a mental breakdown on inception because it genuinely felt like the game was screwed over. Everyone felt that way before we realized the meta had to harshly flip over its head in order to cater to it, on levels unprecedented even by Mega Rayquaza.

This Pokémon had no reason to exist. It has no meaningful lore or role. The one time it was given it, it failed miserably. It made the pvp game worse. It ruined its own movie. I hate it.

Gamefreak didn't even keep proper track of this Pokémon when making the recent games because this is the one Pokémon they've mistakenly removed from Mythical in place of Shiinotic.

Zeraora doesn't have much going for it but I've never seen its presence be nearly as detrimental. Neutral at worst. To me the difference is, Zeraora is a mythical that just exists, and Marshadow is a mythical the series would've been better off without existing.

This has nothing to do with its design. Marshadow is fine in that front. However, any Pokémon can just look cool, cute, beautiful, etc. With 1025 Pokémon, many Pokémon heavily fit the bill for each, so Marshadow looking "cool" is nothing special. If a Pokémon looks cool but the impact it made is terrible, I'm not gonna like it.

Edit: Oops not very short.

Last edited:
Phione. I don't know why this Pokemon exists, either. It can't evolve into Manaphy, its stats are very low, and in the original D/P/Pt, you don't need to have it registered in the Pokedex to get that extra star for your trainer card!

It Phione doesn't count, then maybe Meltan. I like its evolution, Melmetal, but Meltan is worthless otherwise.

Lore:

These are also the three that I least prefer.

Meltan and Volcanion are strange, exquisite. They have barebones lore and a not enticing design either. Still, they have appealing uniqueness, like the typing in the case of Volcanion.

Marshadow is, as you said, a disappointment, a Pokémon that, at first glance and according to all indications, promised much more, but delivered much less. I'm not much of a fan of its design either, and I often end up forgetting the existence of such a Pokémon

Back
Top Bottom