• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst PLOT episodes

So are we supposed to say which episodes we thought were the worst conceptually? Or is this just saying which non-filler/plot-related eps we don't like? I'll just go by the latter, since that seems to be what everyone's doing.

Kanto: Haunter v. Kadabra: The only awesome things I could remember about
this episode were Ash's stupid "photographer" claims towards Sabrina's dad. I hated how they concluded the gym after three episodes of waiting for something big though.

Kanto: March of the Exeggutor Squad: Melvin was the single most obnoxious character, ever.

OI: Pokeball Peril: Am I the only one who thought this was like the worst exit episode ever? It just seemed really poorly handled, really blotchy, and really spontaneous. Are cooking and cleaning for some cougar and her grimlins on some island really enough reason to just abandon everything your character was originally about?

Hoenn: The Magma/Aqua eps, as well as the Kyogre/Groudon nonsense.

There may be more, but those are a start.

OI: Navel Manuevers: Come on...seriously? I mean, I respect them for trying to do something different, but this episode was just so boring to me. The whole rock climbing thing, the crafting--the race was okay, but overall, nah.

Kanto: Haunter v. Kadabra: The only awesome things I could remember about
this episode were Ash's stupid "photographer" claims towards Sabrina's dad. I hated how they concluded the gym after three episodes of waiting for something big though.

I thought the actual arc was good, the only problem is as said, Ash doesn't have any real rematch with Sabrina.

As a kid it only slightly bothered me, but I really don't care now given there's a gazillion other Gym battles in the show to watch. But yeah, I do kinda wish Sabrina and Ash got to have a proper final battle.

OI: Pokeball Peril: Am I the only one who thought this was like the worst exit episode ever? It just seemed really poorly handled, really blotchy, and really spontaneous. Are cooking and cleaning for some cougar and her grimlins on some island really enough reason to just abandon everything your character was originally about?

Well at least it wasn't permanent. Perhaps they always knew they would be bringing Brock back so they didn't make a big deal out of it.

Hoenn: The Magma/Aqua eps, as well as the Kyogre/Groudon nonsense.

Some of the early Magma/Aqua eps prior to the finale were quite good. The ep where the Aqua grunt steals Mr. Briney's Wingull was one of the best eps of early Hoenn. I also liked the eps where Team Magma tries to erupt that volcano or the one where Aqua tries to take over the weather institution, stealing Castform and Brody spying on them.

OI: Navel Manuevers: Come on...seriously? I mean, I respect them for trying to do something different, but this episode was just so boring to me. The whole rock climbing thing, the crafting--the race was okay, but overall, nah.

I always liked Pokemon racing. The idea of freezing a geyser and making a sled out of it to race was quite clever. I also liked how Squirtle got some much needed screentime in Orange Islands, given how it only had two Kanto Gyms.

Ha, I'm dissapointed that I didn't list that in my original post because I never liked that episode and I wrote back in the Orange Island Thread,
I hated the way Ash had to earn the first two Orange Island Gym Badges, especially the requirements of the second badge (you have to claim this big mountain with no help of your Pokémon, then you have to make an ice boat from this geyser and race down the mountain and beat the Gym Leader). What if Ash didn't have Lapras to use Ice Beam on the geyser (Gym Leader Danny: Sorry Ash, no badge for you) and what if Ash lost the race did he have do it all over again.

I felt that way when I first watched that episode back when I first watched it on KidsWB and I still felt that way when I got and watched those episodes again on the Orange Islands Boxset.

I thought the actual arc was good, the only problem is as said, Ash doesn't have any real rematch with Sabrina.

As a kid it only slightly bothered me, but I really don't care now given there's a gazillion other Gym battles in the show to watch. But yeah, I do kinda wish Sabrina and Ash got to have a proper final battle.
I'm not losing sleep over it, but the thread is "Worst PLOT episodes". I enjoyed the arc too. But this, being the concluding episode, was terrible because it wasn't a proper conclusion. I'm glad she changed, and I liked some surrounding things in the episodes... But an actual battle would've been better. Maybe I could reconsider the "worst" part, but it was irritating.

Well at least it wasn't permanent. Perhaps they always knew they would be bringing Brock back so they didn't make a big deal out of it.
That wasn't known at the time that it was aired. In fact, originally, he was meant to exit the show at the time. Besides, none of that takes away from the fact that it was a poor episode for an exit. It was so spontaneous.

Brock: I really like you, cougar woman. So I'll do what you want me to.
Professor Ivy: I'm a professor for Pokemon with my kids.
*Brock shows her up in some skillz*
P-Ivy and the Kids: zomg!
Brock: See, I can cook well too.
P-Ivy: You even clean!
*By the end of the episode*
Brock: So Ash, my cleaning and cooking around this house is far more important than that silly goal my character was initially set out to accomplish? Breeder?! Nonsense! My only plan is to breed with Ivy now.
Ash and Misty: Wtf? Where'd that come from?

Some of the early Magma/Aqua eps prior to the finale were quite good. The ep where the Aqua grunt steals Mr. Briney's Wingull was one of the best eps of early Hoenn. I also liked the eps where Team Magma tries to erupt that volcano or the one where Aqua tries to take over the weather institution, stealing Castform and Brody spying on them.
Very early on. The rest were lousy, especially their wrap ups.

--------------

And that gym episode was dull. I appreciate they tried something different, and I liked the other gym episodes. That one didn't work for me. It was really slow.

I didn't really like any of the orange island gyms, personally. I can appreciate them trying to do something fresh by introducing a entirely new spin on things, but they just didn't work imo.
Don't get me wrong, I do think the concept of unorthadox gyms had potential. But they were very poorly executed and largely underwhelming. I didn't find myself thinking 'Oh man, I wonder how Ash is going to win THIS one?!', eyes wide open, as Squirtle...uhh...shot cans off a wall, or as Lapras raced across a body of open water devoid of any obstacles. Compare those to, say, Chimchar taking down Steelix after struggling with obvious exhaustion, or Gliscor biting into Bastiodon and hanging on for dear life as it flails around vigorously. I know which Gyms had me on the edge of my seat.

Having said that, I reckon they'd be able to pull it off a little better these days. The writing has definately improved, at least in terms of making these events feel dramatic, so I wouldn't mind them taking another shot at it.

What are you talking about? The last two Orange Island Gyms were regular battles, albeit with different rules.

Rudy was a standard 3 on 3 battle, but if I remember correctly it was one round each and you couldn't use a fresh Pokemon in the next round.

And the last Gym with Luana was the first canon 2 on 2 battle of the series, sans some TR battles.

Only the first two Orange Gyms weren't about battling, and it was pretty neat to see some Pokemon racing (in both of them) for a change.

And the Orange league Vs. Drake was the very first 6 on 6 battle of the series, and the first time Ash used Tauros in battle.

Seconded with the drake battle.
Enter the dragonite is my fave episode.
I consider it the most epic battle of the kanto generation.

What are you talking about? The last two Orange Island Gyms were regular battles, albeit with different rules.
I know, I know. But when most people bring up the Orange Island gyms, the initial two are usually the ones that are mentioned for being different. Those are what my first post happened to be focusing on the most.

As for the other two? The third gym's rules were half arsed, probably intentionally so in order to take a backseat to Misty's own little plotline anyway, so that didn't do much to impress me.
The final gym I just found underwhelming, even if it was the first glimpse of double battling we'd get to see.

Only the first two Orange Gyms weren't about battling, and it was pretty neat to see some Pokemon racing (in both of them) for a change.
Well, like I said, I'm all for racing and taking a different approach, but I personally found the ones we did get to be pretty boring. There just wasn't enough meat to keep me interested.

As for the other two? The third gym's rules were half arsed, probably intentionally so in order to take a backseat to Misty's own little plotline anyway, so that didn't do much to impress me.
The final gym I just found underwhelming, even if it was the first glimpse of double battling we'd get to see.

Maybe by today's standards, but back then those Gyms had great battles. Considering the writers actually did something different and had Ash win Gym battles properly, especially given this is coming after Kanto, where Ash got badges for making Sabrina laugh, carrying Gloom outside a burning building, and the unfinished matches of Brock/Misty.

I don't know how well you remember them, because Charizard/Pikachu Vs. Marowak/Alakazam was a damn fine battle, especially for its time. And Rudy's Gym was pretty nicely done.

Well, like I said, I'm all for racing and taking a different approach, but I personally found the ones we did get to be pretty boring. There just wasn't enough meat to keep me interested.

Maybe not, but it was still refreshing given that it became all battle, battle, battle in every Gym that followed.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention this one:

Battling the Enemy Within: I thought the plot of Ash getting possessed by some pyramid king from that item was horrid. It just seemed really tacky, and so outside of what we've known as Pokemon. It's something I'd expect to see done in Yugioh, except with even better quality than this. Perhaps if they would've expanded on it, instead of having it start and wrapped up all in the same dull episode, I would've liked it better. But as a result, it just came across as pretty weak.

And Grave-E, I agree with you, to an extent, on the lack of substance that the OI gym battles brought about.

But I definitely think #2 was by far the worst. That episode was so slow. I swear, half of it was like--Ash climbing up the mountain. And I mean did anyone else realize how predictable they made things? Could you honestly see them making Ash have to repeat all that to win the badge if he failed the first time?

The OI Gyms bizarrely had a Misty subplot in them, so its not like all of it was about Ash climbing the mountain.

I never got why they had Misty crush on two Orange Island Gym leaders in a row.

The OI Gyms bizarrely had a Misty subplot in them, so its not like all of it was about Ash climbing the mountain.

Wow. Some brief instances in which some 25-30 year old gym leader hits on a 10 year old before he and Ash went on their lengthy climb did not salvage that episode in any kind of way. That's terrible.

Wow. Some brief instances in which some 25-30 year old gym leader hits on a 10 year old before he and Ash went on their lengthy climb did not salvage that episode in any kind of way. That's terrible.

Lt. Surge hit on Misty, too...weird.

My LEAST favorite plot episode would have to be the Whitney Gym Battle. My God I did not care for that battle that was tacked on at the end of the episode or that stupid milk plot.

Don't forget Doctor Proctor either.
And how similar it sounds to "proctologist"... *shivers*

As for the issues with the Orange Island gyms, at least the championship more than made up for them. Really, my only complaint with those "battles" was the ice beam that made a path with NEGATIVE friction (physics note: slippery surfaces cannot make you go faster, they just keep you from slowing down as easily).

Battling the Enemy Within: I thought the plot of Ash getting possessed by some pyramid king from that item was horrid. It just seemed really tacky, and so outside of what we've known as Pokemon. It's something I'd expect to see done in Yugioh, except with even better quality than this. Perhaps if they would've expanded on it, instead of having it start and wrapped up all in the same dull episode, I would've liked it better. But as a result, it just came across as pretty weak.

I'm with you on this. That was some weird plot, and I remember feeling that it was just awfully executed as well. I have a distinct memory of rolling my eyes all through the ep. I'm not sure I'd have found it better if they'd extended it either. It would have been so much better IMO if they'd just not done it at all.

Don't forget Doctor Proctor either.

Or the old man from the Kojiro's boobs ep.

I liked Ash climbing the mountain. (pout)

Because they romanced her. Danny called her beautiful, and Rudy went bazongo over her. Which just goes to show our fiery little Water Master suffers from self-esteem issues, her brash bravado notwithstanding. Given that her sisters call her the runt, not surprising.

Miss you, Misty...<sniff>

Because they romanced her. Danny called her beautiful, and Rudy went bazongo over her. Which just goes to show our fiery little Water Master suffers from self-esteem issues, her brash bravado notwithstanding. Given that her sisters call her the runt, not surprising.

Pretty much true,and explains the whole reason behind this.Her sisters are the main reason why she didn had much confidence in herself,especially at beginning.

Anyway just a small correction Misty still didnt became water master.Maybe one day she will(if she travells again),but currently she is only a gym leader taking care of it considering how noone competent enough isnt around to provide decent replacement.
If you said this in another contest,than my mistake.

Miss you, Misty...<sniff>

I think everyone who dont hate her miss her(at least a little bit),but unfortunately it seems like she has been pretty much forgotten from writers side.
Well hopefully future will be brighter in Mistys case than it is now.

I think everyone who dont hate her miss her(at least a little bit),but unfortunately it seems like she has been pretty much forgotten from writers side.
Well hopefully future will be brighter in Mistys case than it is now.

I don't think she'll appear outside of Pallet Town eps anymore. If you notice, the last time she appeared was, in fact, the Pallet Town eps after Hoenn.

She didn't get a single ep in Battle Frontier, and that took place in Kanto no less, and she wasn't even put in the final ep. And considering Sinnoh is actually almost over in Japan now, I doubt she'll be appearing considering there's only two Gyms left. The fact that she has no new clothes in the DP opening says a lot too, given she would have gotten a new outfit otherwise.

The writers probably feel she's such an old character now that she's become like Tracey. I think she'll only appear at Pallet Town eps now, and that's about it.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom