• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst puns ever made in the series

Youngster_Joey

Hurrrrr...
Reaction score
4kids just LOVES to add their own "humor" to the anime they dub, but this thread allows stuff from both localized and the original series.

So what is the worst joke/pun you have heard from the Pokemon series so far?

For me, it has to be this:

Misty: (Screams) "I think I see another bug! Gross!"
Ash: "Maybe it's a...Cowterpie!"
Misty: "That's not funny!"

Misty is right, what wasn't funny.

That one is a little unfair to bring up, given what they had to work with there. I mean, Ash inexplicably appearing in a cow suit? What else could they do?
Though with that said, I think 'Cattlepie' with have worked better :p

Anyway, worst pun? Man, it wasn't even in the dialogue, just an episode title, of all things. I mean 'Nice Pryce Baby'? I love corny puns and all, but even I couldn't help but cringe at that one.

The Japanese joke of that was kind of funny though, IMO.
Misty: Mushi! Mushi! Mushi! Mushi! (mushi means bug)
Ash: ...Ushi? (ushi means cow)

The big problem that we have to consider is that some puns are only funny to the Japanese audiences and when they are in the English episodes they don’t make one bit of sense (well at least to me they don’t); “The Path to the Pokemon League” when Ash says something about pacing (but first says padding) and Pikachu hands him a pillow.

Alright some of the worst ones in my opinion;

• Well basically any of the lame rhymes that TR makes up in the DP series whenever they do the motto, attempting to steal a gym’s Pokemon or in disguise. They just made TR suck the big one in this series.

• During the Kanto League; (corny but it did make me laugh)

Brock; “What your eyes can’t see is very clear to me!”
Misty; “Brock is a poet…I didn’t know it…”

• Many of the dubs episode titles, you know there are so many I can’t even decide where to begin, but put it this way there are plenty of them

• Paul- “That’s really none of your business, see?” So, sad to see my favorite character given such a rotten line, the first part is great but the “see” at the end makes him sound like a mob gangster or something

• Drew- after May wins her first ribbon “Well, things would have turned out differently if you and I had fought in the first round. Later…right!” then he walks off that line made no sense whatsoever…I don’t know if I got that quote 100% correctly but it sounded something like that

There are a lot more, but I think that I’ve made my point.

When have they used that one in Pokemon?

Dub title for the 4th Jouto gym episode.

The big problem that we have to consider is that some puns are only funny to the Japanese audiences and when they are in the English episodes they don’t make one bit of sense (well at least to me they don’t); “The Path to the Pokemon League” when Ash says something about pacing (but first says padding) and Pikachu hands him a pillow.

Uh, no, that's not "a pun that's only funny in Japanese", that's "a pun that used a visual aid that also needs to be worked into the translation", just like the "Cowterpie" joke. These can be kinda hard to translate at times.

Though this particular joke was arguably funnier in English than in Japanese. The original Japanese one was was pretty lame.

*Digital Dummy* lol yeah.
“That’s really none of your business, see?”
"Well, things would have turned out differently if you and I had fought in the first round. Later…right"
Stupid or awkward dialogue doesn't (always) equate to a pun, guys.

I must admit, I tend to like puns and some of the episode titles are clever, but there are others that I dislike, such as "Gettin Twiggy with it."

I like some of the titles, like "Good 'Quil Hunting" or "Showdown at the Oak Corral", but others are just desperate, like "Casting A Paul on Barry". But I'm not surprised that a lot of them are a little pathetic when you try and make nearly every title a pun. As for in the actual dialogue, the only one i can remember liking off the top of my head is Ash calling a Magnemite a streaker when he meant stalker, the majority are just cringe worthy.

When have they used that one in Pokemon?

Just about everytime there's a ghost pokémon in the show...

I definitely remeber it in the Ghost of Maiden's Peak and Drake from OI says that before sending his Gengar and I think Morty did too... Those are just the ones that come to mind...

Grandpa "You can call it Dojo-a-Go-Go!"
Max: "That name's a no-go..."

From Pasta La Vista.

Charizard's Burning Ambitions!
Fighting Fear with Fear!
The Mandarin Island Miss Match
Don't Touch that 'dile!
Turning Over a Nuzleaf

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom