• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Rival

Worst Rival

• Gary (Blue)

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Brendan

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • May

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • Wally

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • Barry

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Cheren

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Bianca

Votes: 41 23.3%

• Total voters
May. Not Brendan though. Atleast he had something resembling a personality. In the begining, he has sort of a sexist attitude when he believed that the child of a Gym Leader must be guy but the game never expands on that. Later he warms towards you and even shows hints of crush or something when he wishes you were there when he saw Rayquaza.

May on the otherhand is generic sweet and shy girl whose only change is that she becomes less shy.

Oh and about Blue, did anyone really like that short wordless cutscene at the end of FRLG when you beat the league? You see Blue storming out of the League building and then Oak comes out, just looks at you for a few seconds and goes after Blue. I always found that rather nice.

I don't know why people keep saying that Blue needed character development. He was a douche and was supposed to be a person who the player enjoys defeating. It would completely spoil him if they turned him into a nice guy towards the end.

Or at least explain why Blue became a douche in the first place. At least silver became a douche because he felt that his father Giovanni when commanding Team Rocket he acted like a tyrant but when he was on his own he was a coward, and silver felt that he can do better by becoming strong by himself

Or at least explain why Blue became a douche in the first place. At least silver became a douche because he felt that his father Giovanni when commanding Team Rocket he acted like a tyrant but when he was on his own he was a coward, and silver felt that he can do better by becoming strong by himself
Who cares. Some people are just douchebags, not everyone has to have a back story.

What frank walker said. and said it well.

Blue and Silver both have good storylines, and eventually become badass. So i like them

Waly doesn't give up, and is basically the teddy roosevelt of pokemon. So i like him

Barry's got a manic, interesting personality. So i like him

Cheren and Bianca have good character developement. So i like them

Brendan and May are kinda bland quitters, so i don't like them
May has boobs thought, so i like her slightly more XD

May for several reasons:
Cannot be rematched
Never fully evolved their starter
Abandon goal as a trainer
Cannot be considered a real rival

I think Bianca is the worst of them, due to her unbearable personality and the fact you technically battle her less than Cheren. I do admit feeling kinda sorry for her though, and Silver and Blue are anyways coming close due to their persistent jerka**ery.

Cheren. I actually liked Bianca's character, but Cheren always annoyed me with his view of "the Champion should be the strongest trainer, and nothing else". He didn't even seem to change his views that much over the course of the game, either, unlike other rivals (Blue becoming a nice guy by G/S, Silver learning that Pokémon aren't tools, etc).

All three Hoenn "rivals," if you can even call them that. They didn't even feel like they were in competition with the player character, and they showed up so infrequently that they were insignificant. There wasn't really any story behind them either (whereas Silver had his deal with Team Rocket/Giovanni, Blue/Cheren/Bianca/Barry grew up with you, etc...).

I think Brendan/May are slightly worse than Wally, though, since they never even seem like they're trying to win.

May.
At least Brendan was showing some interesting characteristics, by being tsundere. (He doesn't like the player because he thinks they're weak, but eventually sees their potential and strength and warms up to them).

I'd say May. She's so darn bland. Of course, so are Wally and Brendan. Like plain white rice. :-/

I really like Cheren, so I won't pick him;-)! Silver's a good rival. He's interesting. Blue's a good rival, I just don't like him. Always with his smelling you later:sweat:... Bianca isn't necessarily a good rival... But I do like her for unknown reasons. Hmm.:phew:

Brendan/May, I mean look how few times you fight them and how little they have to show for it :/ At least Wally had a full team by the end and had a story behind him. Brendan/May seem almost like an afterthought, there's no effort there.

Duuh, there's no question. Brendan and May were lame D:. Cheren and Bianca were good friendly rivals, but Brendan/May failed badly. The worst thing was that you didn't have a chance to battle them quite often. Only four times in R/S, plaah. They also didn't have nearly any story behind the characther - they just act even too friendly towards you. They also failed a bit with Wally. Wally was an interesting characther, but he had a bit too minor role. I'd like to hear more of him.

I also didn't care about Barry too much. Blue, Silver, Cheren and Bianca are nice imo.

Jumping on the Brendan/May boat as they aren't... really rivals. They are kind of a different type of NPC. All NPCs in Hoenn are, but their problem is that during the first half of the games they are hyped as the rivals, which is... a false hype that just dies down. They do not show much interesting character either, they are just your neighbour, sometimes act nice, and help their father.
They really are a quite minor NPC. Specially compared to Wally, who was promising but had a lack of hype and screentime.

And between the two, I say May as as the "rival" she gets the worse lines and worse character.

Blue. I swear, his arrogance makes me want to punch him in the face. I don't understand why everyone likes him.
It's because he makes you want to punch him in the face that makes him such a good rival. He makes you want to defeat him just you can wipe that smirk off his face.

It's because he makes you want to punch him in the face that makes him such a good rival. He makes you want to defeat him just you can wipe that smirk off his face.

But... you do defeat him. Over and over and over and over. Out of all the battles you have with him, he shouldn't win a single one of them. It doesn't stop him being arrogant.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom