• Hey all it's dig, I'm delighted to announce that Magnificent Entertainer will be taking over as our Head Administrator, and Neo Blaze will be our new Deputy Head Administrator!

Please read this post for more details on the changes to our forum leadership. Thanks.

• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Worst Series for Team Rocket?

What series has the TRio at their worst?

• Original series

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Ruby & Sapphire

• Diamond and Pearl

• Black & White

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • XY

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Sun & Moon

• Journeys

Votes: 21 45.7%

• Total voters
Time to score a GOAL!!!
Reaction score
I'm not a big Rocket Fan so their overuse in the original series to me was the worse, the number of gym battles they interrupted causing Ash to not earn a badge properly was annoying

Their interrupting league episodes was also annoying

Reaction score
Easily their BW selves with their stupid serious personalities. At least SM and Journeys has been improving on them. The addition of the Rocket slot machine is a big plus
You can't be serious...

James has not a freaking Pokémon on hand.

A big plus? From what? From Mimikyu and Marearnie? I would prefer them to use mechas than random Pokémon. I would ratter prefer that they catch another Koffing and Ekans than have the gatcha.

It's a joke. A big fat unfuny joke so they do not have that much focus.

Team Rocket are something more than the villains who wants to catch Pikachu. Pokemon Journeys reduced them to that.

Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
I think Best Wishes was definitely the worst for them because of its lasting impact on their characters. Like ii kanji said it was well into XY before they really felt like they were their old selves, and it wasn't until Sun&Moon that they truly felt like they returned to form. Plus I never liked how blocky and stiff their BW-XY designs were. However their appearances in PM2019 are extra disappointing compared to how well-done they were in SM. It really felt like each of their SM appearances were carefully thought-out and they never felt thrown into an episode out of obligation (hi, Satoshi!). Their rate of appearance was disappointing to be sure, but at least we could always say "well at least when they do appear it's very well-done". But now they appear even less and their appearances are watered down. It's no Best Wishes but it really feels like they aren't being given the same amount of care they used to be given. If there is one thing I like about their PM2019 selves is they retain the bounciness from their SM designs but seem to be more consistently well-drawn.

I also think this is the first series since BW forced them into stock animation motto hell that they haven't had a single visual variation? XY and SM both had a handful by the end of the first year but I don't think there's been a single one this series? And I still think it is an absolute huge missed opportunity that they don't do each of their old mottos when they visit those regions. Plus their new main theme is by far the worst Rocket-related music piece in the anime, don't @ me at least their BW motto music kind of slapped

Reaction score
You can't be serious...

James has not a freaking Pokémon on hand.

A big plus? From what? From Mimikyu and Marearnie? I would prefer them to use mechas than random Pokémon. I would ratter prefer that they catch another Koffing and Ekans than have the gatcha.

It's a joke. A big fat unfuny joke so they do not have that much focus.

Team Rocket are something more than the villains who wants to catch Pikachu. Pokemon Journeys reduced them to that.
The Rocket machine actually adds some variety with their battles against Ash by giving them different Pokemon to use. I'm never all that attached to the Pokemon they catch so I'm not too upset about them not catching their own

Reaction score
The Rocket machine actually adds some variety with their battles against Ash by giving them different Pokemon to use.
Team Rocket has never been build up towards battles. With that I mean that they have no nescesity to have strong Pokémon when they have a plan. That is why they resort to the mechas and the traps. Team Rocket trying to beat Ash in a fair battle is stupid. Plain and simple

About the different Pokémon they use. In the end they end up jobbing to Pikachu hard so I don't care. At least Marearnie and Mimmikyu put some fight. Oh by the way 90% of the time is just Pikachu who beats them. That shows you how well this series handles development.

And another thing. The only ones who put a fight where Tyranytar and Gyarados (Against Pikachu alone) , the Dusclops twins and Buneary and Cincino. The others did nothin. What about that Drapion and Scolipede? They did nothing. Jessie and Meowth had to fight. And to be fair I would like better if Jessie, James and Meowth fight with his owns hands than using the gatcha.

I'm never all that attached to the Pokemon they catch so I'm not too upset about them not catching their own
Then you should watch the Cacnea farewell episode or the Dustox one. You may see how a real Pokémon trainer has to behave. Not unlike others.

I think Best Wishes was definitely the worst for them because of its lasting impact on their characters. Like ii kanji said it was well into XY before they really felt like they were their old selves, and it wasn't until Sun&Moon that they truly felt like they returned to form. Plus I never liked how blocky and stiff their BW-XY designs were. However their appearances in PM2019 are extra disappointing compared to how well-done they were in SM. It really felt like each of their SM appearances were carefully thought-out and they never felt thrown into an episode out of obligation (hi, Satoshi!). Their rate of appearance was disappointing to be sure, but at least we could always say "well at least when they do appear it's very well-done". But now they appear even less and their appearances are watered down. It's no Best Wishes but it really feels like they aren't being given the same amount of care they used to be given. If there is one thing I like about their PM2019 selves is they retain the bounciness from their SM designs but seem to be more consistently well-drawn.

I also think this is the first series since BW forced them into stock animation motto hell that they haven't had a single visual variation? XY and SM both had a handful by the end of the first year but I don't think there's been a single one this series? And I still think it is an absolute huge missed opportunity that they don't do each of their old mottos when they visit those regions. Plus their new main theme is by far the worst Rocket-related music piece in the anime, don't @ me at least their BW motto music kind of slapped
One of the things I hate more. STOCK MOTTO ANIMATION. Do you remember how glorious where the mottos in Sinnoh? Come on, less than 50% of the episodes and you have to use the same motto animation again again and again?

By the way the motto theme sucks, but the battle theme is amazing. Shame it is for glorified rental Pokémon.

Aria jumps from exploding building
Reaction score
I voted for Journeys/PM 2019 mostly for what people are saying and based on the little I've watched so far.

Of course BW follows, but from after the cancelled Meteonite arc until Decolora islands. Even though they were already OOC by the start of BW I always thought it made somewhat a of a sense since it seemed to be leading to something big down the road (the skipped Plasma-dan showdown). I can't say if that's right or not as the two-parter never aired, however I considered it to be the reason for their sudden change.
After that I agree with everyone else here... No reason for Trio to remain serious, at all. Especially that OOC-ness was leading nowhere.

Maybe I should have been clearer but I meant that AG was a horrible watch for the TRio.
I actually like them in AG. Some of my favorite Trio jokes are there (Musashi thinking her Mayuld would evolve into an Agehunt, Nyasu's interaction with Masato, Kojirou's participation in the Poke-Ringer, Musashi ordering Habunake to use a bunch of moves it didn't know during her first contest, etc, etc...).

I'm not really a Trio fan, of course, so I don't really mind their low points in this saga as long as they stay funny.

Reaction score
Black and White. First they lost their personalities for like 20 episode for no adequately explained reason, then they got them back suddenly but were given few appearances regardless. Then they had those really annoying and pointless 2-parter schemes that felt like a waste of time. Then they disappeared for a while after Operation Tempest and returned with new Pokemon that had no personalities. Then they were given filler episode roles but still not often enough to really matter.

Reaction score
Team Rocket has never been build up towards battles. With that I mean that they have no nescesity to have strong Pokémon when they have a plan. That is why they resort to the mechas and the traps. Team Rocket trying to beat Ash in a fair battle is stupid. Plain and simple

About the different Pokémon they use. In the end they end up jobbing to Pikachu hard so I don't care. At least Marearnie and Mimmikyu put some fight. Oh by the way 90% of the time is just Pikachu who beats them. That shows you how well this series handles development.

And another thing. The only ones who put a fight where Tyranytar and Gyarados (Against Pikachu alone) , the Dusclops twins and Buneary and Cincino. The others did nothin. What about that Drapion and Scolipede? They did nothing. Jessie and Meowth had to fight. And to be fair I would like better if Jessie, James and Meowth fight with his owns hands than using the gatcha.

Then you should watch the Cacnea farewell episode or the Dustox one. You may see how a real Pokémon trainer has to behave. Not unlike others.

One of the things I hate more. STOCK MOTTO ANIMATION. Do you remember how glorious where the mottos in Sinnoh? Come on, less than 50% of the episodes and you have to use the same motto animation again again and again?

By the way the motto theme sucks, but the battle theme is amazing. Shame it is for glorified rental Pokémon.
Sure the Gatcha mon still lose in the end but I still appreciate the different variety. Plus it capitalizes on the new season promoting all generations of Pokemon.

And I've seen the Cacnea episode you mentioned and still don't care. The Pokemon TR owned outside of the original Arbok and Weezing never got an emotional attachment out of me so I'm glad they ditched that for Journeys

Reaction score
Sure the Gatcha mon still lose in the end but I still appreciate the different variety. Plus it capitalizes on the new season promoting all generations of Pokemon.

And I've seen the Cacnea episode you mentioned and still don't care. The Pokemon TR owned outside of the original Arbok and Weezing never got an emotional attachment out of me so I'm glad they ditched that for Journeys
Never got any emotional attachemnt cause unlike Go Team Rocket sees Pokémon as friends not tools to reach an end.

I will repeat: Friends not tools.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Rocket machine actually adds some variety with their battles against Ash by giving them different Pokemon to use. I'm never all that attached to the Pokemon they catch so I'm not too upset about them not catching their own
The problem with the gacha machine is that the pokemon that come out tie into a theme or a gag, such as Sobble's first big episode it was two pokemon who have eye designs on their bodies (to have the bait and switch of them appearing not to be affected then that they actually are).

Baby Boy Babies
Reaction score
It was difficult for me to pick between BW and Journeys, but after a quick comparison of the two, I decided to vote for Journeys.

One of the biggest issues I have with their portrayal in Journeys is how massive of a dropoff it is from SM. I just wrote my reasons in the other thread, but for me, SM Team Rocket was them at their best. The fact that almost none of that was carried over to the next series is incredibly disappointing. And while they've had a handful of really nice scenes + one or two very entertaining focus episodes, the rest of their (sparse) appearances have felt shoehorned, half assed, or just plain useless. It's a really poor representation of their characters, and it's just sad. And that awful Gacha machine...ugh. One of TR's highlights has always been the relationship they have with their Pokémon, because it shows a different side of them. Now that that's been taken away, it takes away a lot of the heart TR has, which is a shame.

Don't get me wrong, BW was also awful. Being forced into roles that didn't fit them, having the life sucked out of them...terrible. But at the very least I can give the writers a bit of a break because the Team Plasma arc never came to fruition, so we never got to see the true resolve for Team Rocket's serious turn. And they still had their own Pokémon. Those things are what enable me to give it a bit more of a pass than Journeys (although again, it still wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination lol).