• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • The forums' software will be updated on December 9th, 2019 and may be down for several hours to multiple days for this process. Thank you for your patience, we hope this update will improve your experience here.

Why not join us over on discord during the downtime?

• ME finally got off his butt and has started his own LP of Platinum version. Watch the chaos unfold here.

Worst starter middle evolution

Worst starter middle evolution?

• Total voters
Cool cat
Reaction score
In general, some of the designs that the design team puts the most effort into are the starters and the final starter evolutions. The starters need to be cute and marketable so the series can appeal to little kids, while the final evolutions are designed to be "cool" and more appealing to older kids. Because of this, many of these designs tend to stand out and are well remembered. However, that leaves the middle evolutions, which typically exist only to bridge the gap, and as a result there have been quite a few awkward transitions. So, which middle stage has the worst design?

I'd say Combusken. I love Torchic and Blaziken, but this thing just looks awkward. Not to mention certain... undertones in its design.

Reaction score
I also dislike Monferno. HE's basically Undyne The Undying

Last edited:
unamused
Reaction score
I've always thought grotle, prinplup, and pignite were pretty dumb looking. I like torterra and emboar, but empoleon doesn't look much better than prinplup.

blushing water guardian
Reaction score
Marshtomp looks weird and I was never too fond of it, though I don't mind Mudkip and Swampert. Similar with Charmeleon and Monferno though that's because I never liked their whole line to begin with.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
Braixen and Quilladin.

Don't @ me.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Quiladin stands out like a very sore thumb. It even gets lampshaded at how bad it looks in the anime (thanks to Bonnie). Even among mid-stage Starters, it looks pretty bad. Sure, I get its origin and such, but still, that doesn't excuse that it looks like a cheap pinata from a discount store. At least Chesnaught makes up for it, but still, I almost feels sorry for it because it just looks that bad.

Second place goes to Prinplup, though the line as a whole is rather bad design-wise, but Prinplup stands out the most.

Reaction score
Wartortle and Croconaw. Both are fat and meaner version of the first stage. It does not help the other members on their families are cute or awesome.

Reaction score
Charmeleon for that thing on his head.

Wartortle for the ears, tail, and blush spots on its face.

Dartrix for its neat freak behavior to the point it won't battle. Logically how does it evolve?

Merry Chrysalis
Reaction score
Wartortle...why does it have those big, frilly ears that it doesn’t even keep as a Blastoise?
Croconaw...a bit too round for a crocodilian in my opinion, and the pelt-like markings just seem off.
Pignite...just extremely awkward and nowhere near as cute as Tepig.

Run Rabbit Run!
Reaction score
Bayleef - More "meh" than Chikorita. Gets even more "meh" when it evolves.
That's about it.

Reaction score
Marshtomp. Derpy and the design isn't much at all.

I love Grovyle (one of my top favorite Pokemon of all time), Bayleef, Combusken (not a nice undertone to his design but otherwise I like it a lot), Prinplup (somewhere in my top 20 favorite Pokemon),

Braixen is a very popular design but it's not my thing at all. I do love Delphox's though unlike most people.

Reaction score
Brionne. For a fact you'd think Popplio was male-looking, but then this comes and it screams "FEMALE". Plus, it isn't a actual pop star but a "ballet star"?

ᴡᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ
Reaction score
It's actually kinda interesting that I never had much of an issue with Quilladin. I think it's roundish appearance actually makes it kinda cute. =o

Buuutt....I gotta say that Grotle's hunchback appearance makes me rather uncomfortable...

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
I really do not like Dewott. It is cheesy and I'm so glad that the designers chose to go with Samurott for the final evolution instead of whatever Dewott was leading to... Because we could have had something as bad as Incineroar on our hands and instead I got my favorite final starter evolution.

Ana

Reaction score
Quilladin but I think its pre-evolution and final evolution are alright. It just looks silly and sticks out compared to the other two.

Reaction score
Torracat. It's just a bigger Litten and it doesn't look charming at all.

Gather round, people, I'll tell you a story
Reaction score
Dartrix makes me never want to use Rowlet, which is a hell of a feat for a middle stage.

Reaction score
Often, the middle form is the "cool teenager" of the family to me. Quilava, Wartortle, Bayleef....

I don't like Braixen's design, but this is somewhat softened by its animations in Pokken Tournament being so amazing. Quilladin is a mess and there is just no saving Pignite.

Torracat. It's just a bigger Litten and it doesn't look charming at all.
Charmeleon. It's just a bigger Charmander and it doesn't look charming at all :p