• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
I always picked Blaziken to be my main starter in the Hoenn games, but their starters sucked in general, and neither the Sinnoh nor Unova starters are any better, really. Tepig and Oshawott in particular blew the fuse for me.

Tepig, definitely. The worst Fire/Fighting type, not to mention it`s yet ANOTHER Fire/Fighting type...

I really like alll the starters and always had a hard time picking one, even if it was in a later game where you get one as a 'present'.

I suppose then, for me, it has to be pikachu. Never really liked him, y'know.

And what's with all the hate for Chikorita? It's a...grass dino! Awesome in my eyes, but each to their own.

I despise chikorita. it's moveset is atrocious. that also goes for charmander. it learns no moves at all as a charmeleon. you have to wait until level 34 just to get flamethrower, which sucks.

The Cyndaquil line waited a hell of a lot longer to learn that move in Generations 2 and 3, and the rest don't even learn it naturally once evolved...

Charizard learns good moves though. Not great but good enough to get the job done. Flamethrower, Wing Attack, Metal Claw, etc.

Typhlosion had to wait till L60 to learn Flamethrower.

Blaziken gets really good moves too like Blaze Kick which is generally better than Flamethrower because of the chance of critical and being only slightly less powerful.

Infernape has a fantastic movepool.

About Blaze kick, doesn't that have less accuracy and PP? I could never find much more of a use for it than Fire blast and Overheat. Oh, well, it's better than Peck or Ember, but you get the idea.

Most starter evo lines range from awesome to "meh" to me, but for some reason I have a strong hatred of the Chikorita line. Every. Single. Stage.

I think the Barney-reject design is part of it.

Blaze is obtained at L36 which is decent. You can teach it overheat but that isn't so good. Fire Blast has less pp and accuracy than Blazekick as does Overheat. 90 Acc is decent enough. Especially when it can crit.

It misses all the time for me, though, as does Heat Wave (despite the accuracy not being that low in theory). Though that might just be a 3rd gen game fucking up repeatedly to really make me bite my nails off-thing.

Chimchar. It wipes its posterior just for the sake of infecting people with whatever diseases it picks up. Eww.

What's with all the hate for Chikorita and Oshawott? And I'm surprised how few people dislike Squirtle, too.

Usually, I like all the starters and usually, I always have troubles pickin' one, but I really, really hate Mudkip and it's evolutions.

All starters are perfectly fine in their own unique way, since when you consider the generation they debuted in, they are perfectly capable of handling the main story. The Kanto Starters, though having below average stats in comparison to later starters, were perfectly suited to beating R/B for you, since those kinds of stats were common in the first gen.

The second gen Starters were somewhat flawed except for Typhlosion, which is fixed in HG/SS when Feraligatr has better STAB and Meganium's buffed up Petal Dance.

The Hoenn starters are designed to play well in both the storyline and competitive play. Sceptile still does wonders since it isn't the only Pokemon that'll need to boost to sweep (Keldeo has lower Attack and people still give it physical moves for access to Swords Dance). Blaziken gets amped up with Speed Boost as well. Swampert now has better Water STAB in comparison to how it was before.

The Sinnoh Starters are PERFECT. Torterra has STAB on Earthquake which it learns as soon as it reaches final stage, Infernape is a speed demon that can hit many Pokemon hard before they move, and Empoleon is an armored Special Attacker capable of sweeping nearly everything weak to Water in a single shot.

The Unova Starters are a mix between older generations and the current Smogon idea: Fire and Water Starters OU, Grass UU. Serperior has too low attack but can boost with Swords Dance, and can function well with Support moves as well. Once it gets it's Dream World Ability it becomes king of the grass types. Emboar may have low Defense and Special Defense, but it's high HP balances it out, plus it has a large offensive movepool consisting of the Grass/Fire/Water core. Samurott is about the same as Emboar in terms of Offensive power and is slightly faster, but isn't as bulky.

Overall, which one is the worst is a hard decision. Most of the blame currently goes to Serperior though.

What's with all the hate for Chikorita and Oshawott? And I'm surprised how few people dislike Squirtle, too.

Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium have lackluster attack stats, and a moveset geared towards recovery (discounting Petal Dance/Solarbeam, which are grass-type moves). While that's not a bad thing, that niche is filled by many others that have less type weaknesses than the green potato.
As for Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott, maybe the hate stems from the fact that they are next to the fan-favorite Snivy line.

Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium have lackluster attack stats, and a moveset geared towards recovery (discounting Petal Dance/Solarbeam, which are grass-type moves). While that's not a bad thing, that niche is filled by many others that have less type weaknesses than the green potato.
As for Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott, maybe the hate stems from the fact that they are next to the fan-favorite Snivy line.

When everybody speaks of Meganium, they always seem to forget the imporant move that sets it higher than Serperior: EARTHQUAKE. A clean 100 Base Power with 10 PP, and since Ground is a common attack type and hitting the most types for super effective damage tied with Fighting, it allows Meganium to be superior to Serperior (No pun intended). The point nobody mentions this is because TMs used to be 1 time uses, but now that they last forever in B/W, I'd like to see TM moves mentioned more.

Judging by cuteness, Treecko is the worst. In terms of power, I don't know.

Last edited:
Chimchar is the first Fire starter I absolutely refused to use. I always pick a fire starter!

As a result, I had to go with the one that looked best, which was Piplup. A water type. I feel dirty.

When everybody speaks of Meganium, they always seem to forget the imporant move that sets it higher than Serperior: EARTHQUAKE. A clean 100 Base Power with 10 PP, and since Ground is a common attack type and hitting the most types for super effective damage tied with Fighting, it allows Meganium to be superior to Serperior (No pun intended). The point nobody mentions this is because TMs used to be 1 time uses, but now that they last forever in B/W, I'd like to see TM moves mentioned more.

First off, this is a valid argument. However, I did not compare the Chikorita line to the Snivy line. Meganium can be a better pokemon than Serperior, and Serperior can be a better pokemon than Meganium.
Snivy's line's design is loved by the fandom, but Chikorita's is not. Often favorites are determined by design or first impression, and Chikorita lacks in either category.
Personally, I picked Snivy for the extra challenge it adds to the game. But make no mistake, SubSeedSerpent can be a beast.

BTW, Oshawott's line finally seems to be getting a lot of love in my area. Maybe it's something about the whole "battle unicorn" idea.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom