• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
Soooooo many haters of Chickorita... :(
Its fun to train for a challenge because it has a crap movepool.

I don't actually think any of them are horrible design-wise. They're all unique in their own way. Though if I had to pick one it would be the Osha-line. Way too weird progression in design for the evos.

I've never been a big fan of the Chimchar line...
There is nothing in particular wrong with it. I just never felt anything for it

All of Gen V really. Design wise Snivy's line is rather boring, and it's impossible to even give the thing 4 decent attacks. I like playing with Emboar, who I thought would be my least favorite, but really it is just another Fire/Fighting, which has been going on for way too long. Last but not least Oshawott. I honestly love the thing's design. Dewott, whatever, it's the awkward 1st stage so it's forgivable, and Samurott looks so cool. But then I actually played with one and it just left a lot to be desired.

Why all the Chikorita hate?

I did vote for Oshawatt, but I still dislike any Fire-Fighting type other than Blaziken.

Snivy isn't meant to be a attaker he i\however has a insanly high defense and speed and can spam coil a few times then massaure your team and let's not for get Contrary which is tottally broken ability

I don't truly hate any of the starters (yes, not even Pikachu- for the most part, it's just Ash's I hate. Sad to say, the thing is growing on me), but if I would have to choose, it would be Chikorita. (Yes, I'm yet another Chikorita hater. Whoop-de-doo.) I don't really care for it one way or another- it has a decent design, but let's face it, it sucks in battle (and being a Grass-type doesn't help matters). To multiply that, it just happened to be in the Johto region, where a majority of the gyms and Elite Four either resisted or were super-effective against it. I must stress (again) that I don't really loathe it nor like it; which is in contrast to most of the other starters, who will actually merit a reaction from me (and most likely a positive one).

WHY DO YOU ALL HATE ON MY CHICORITA!?!?!? WHY?!?!??! See I loved her! Light screen, Earthquake, Sunnyday, solarbeam. My gal. And her evos to me were cute! Now want a let down, Snivy. And I'm sorry because I have a friend who likes him. But Snivy can't even save himself with a ground type move for fire types. My husband used him for his starter in white and was so disappointed in him he QUIT Playing! Snivy seems so useless to us, mostly because what he can learn is so limited...most pokemon can be pretty versital to help the team as a whole. Snivy is not only not really a team player but you'd have to build your team around him with the understanding that he cannot be you backbone on the team.

My vote is for Snivy.

And I also dislike Torchic and Treeko.

I simply HATED pikachu as a starter, first of all, it refused to evolve in yellow AND it was practicly USLESS against Brock. I'm sorry I can't say much nice things about having Pikachu as starter, Yellow, FiretrUCKED it up.

A 3 way tie between the Gen V starters. As Pokemon they are good. As startes, they're a joke. A really bad joke at that.

I'd say Tepig is the worst. I like him, but his evolutions had no creativity what so ever. And really, wasn't he like the third fire fighting starter? Oshawatt was pretty terrible too, but compared to the rest of the pokemon in gen V he was decent. Chimchar and Piplup were terrible too though. Turtwig was the only good one from gen IV. Then I have no complaints about gen I, II, and III. They were all good.

And what's with all the chikorita hate? She was a lot better designed than almost every pokemon in gen IV and V and definately all the starters.

And what's with all the chikorita hate? She was a lot better designed than almost every pokemon in gen IV and V and definately all the starters.
Your OPINION. And Chikorita diffidently does NOT beat EVERY gen 5 pokemon design wise.

Your OPINION. And Chikorita diffidently does NOT beat EVERY gen 5 pokemon design wise.

...In your opinion.

The only designs I liked from Gen V were those of Snivy's line. Chikorita is quite possibly one of my favourites, personally. I find it adorable if a little useless, much like Snivy. My brain resides with designs as I have little experience with trying a huge range of Pokemon/competitive battle and I honestly am still waiting for a pretty fire type starter. Bored of all these manry fire-fighting 'mon now, guys. D;

Sad Chikorita has TWICE the votes then thn Chimichar... but then again she does kinda suck... ayleast Snivy has a great (well broken really...) ability in contrary and his move-poll isn't that bad he get's Growth, Coil, Swords Dance aNd Calm Mind. both raisemultible stats

(Growth raises both of his admitably lackluster stats in that area which is always good Coil raises His Attack and his defense (Plus ACC) Swords Dance raises his attack an speed(Which he really doesn't need he is already pretty damn fast) and Calm-Mind raises his Spec Stats so he gets all the great stat raise move Chikorita only gets Swords-dance

Chikorita get's the screens but then again so does Snivy... actually Snivy can do everything Chiko can pretty much (except for Aromatheoropy) and gets all thegood stat up moves so he's more versitile hell Chikorita doesn't even get Growth or leech-seed outside breeding...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom