• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
I'm going to be special snowflake and say I cannot hate any of them. I love them all too much. But if I had to pick one, I'd choose Pokémon Yellow's Pikachu. I like Pikachu, but because it cannot evolve in the game, it is the worst starter in main series because Pikachu isn't all that powerful. Well, you can beat the whole in-game with anything, but still.

(am I the only one who snorted to every "because it's ugly!" -comment?)

UGH! Chickorita's my FAVORITE starter and 2nd favorite pokemon.... I love them all but I chose Turtwig cuz its so boring

(am I the only one who snorted to every "because it's ugly!" -comment?)

nope! anyway i played pokemon yellow and pikachu was just...no. i cant belive how many people is hating the cutest thing ever! oshawott is the most adorible pokemon but samuerott is a no (its not because its ugly it just...doesnt make sense for the evelutionary line. i dont want replace dewott with that. i still wish that i didnt evolve oshawott in the first place) thats why i have an level 54 dewott.

I don't think any Starter Pokémon is the "worst" - each one has a different thing going for it. It could be general cuteness (Chikorita, Oshawott, etc), badass-ness (Totodile, Charmander) and things like that. If you're going by stats, then, by far, the worst starters are the Gen V ones (I think that's right?), but you can't really decide on that by their designs.

I don't like the Snivy and Chikorita lines. It's not just how dumb they look, it's also their utterly shallow movepools and awful stats.

WARNING!!! SPOILERS ARE NOT TO BE READ IF YOU LIKE CHIKORITA AND SNIVY!!!

Reasons I Despise Snivy and its Evos
Snivy is so overrated. Yes, it looks like a member of the 18th century aristocracy. You can take this exactly two ways:

a) OMG SO KAWAII!!! I CHOSE DA SNIVY SMUGGYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
b) Dude, I don't want a stuck-up French bureaucrat on my team. Move over, I want Oshawott/Tepig. (I've had both in different runs.)

As you could probably tell, I'm on b) every time. In spite of its smugness, it still gets knocked over whenever a south wind blows.
Sadly, I am the only girl I know (in real life) who didn't choose that arrogant little ass.

Reasons I Despise Chikorita and its Evos
Well. They're herbs. Very imaginative. They look so prissy and feminine that usually I forget they're normally male. And honestly, let's think. Imagine you are ten years old. Now imagine you live in New Bark Town and are about to receive a special starter Pokémon from the Professor. This Pokémon is very likely to be your best friend for most of your life. Which do you pick?

a) The cute little mousy thing with fire on its back that evolves into an evil erupting lizard that CLEARLY WANTS TO KILL EVERYONE THAT LOOKS AT YOU? (yes, this is the one I have. Later I did get to train a Totodile, and it was pretty fun. So I may go Water type next time.)
b) The (also) cute alligator with monster teeth that evolves into a Lean Mean Biting Machine?
or c) The weak generic green whatchamacallit with a useless leaf on its head and a retarded smile that evolves into a sissy freak with PRETTY FLOWERS (uh-huh, totally threatening) and a worse movepool than a Magikarp?

I wish I could've saved my friend S then. She chose Chikorita, and promptly ditched it after the first gym in favor of a Pidgey.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Chikorita, honestly, did anybody ever find this pokemon useful? I mean the only reason I have one is to finish my complete collection of having every starter pokemon.

Chikorita. Hard to beat the first two Gyms in Crystal when I tried to do a solo Chikorita run. I gave up...

I don't like any of the Sinnoh starters! They're all ugly, have too much going on design-wise, and I don't like thier moves. Also, I'm with May, Treecko is FREAKY! ITS EYES AAAAAH.

I love Pikachu as a pokemon, but it was a pain to play with in first gen. so brittle, god forbid that it takes a ratatta's/raticate's hyper fang without fainting or a sludge attack, but noooo.

Yeah, I'm glad you can at least Palpark over other starters should you have chosen Chikorita. I even raised the fucker to a level 100 Meganium and I've had it in the box for over a year.

Snivy. it learns no good moves at all. THe only reason people pick it is because of the popular smugleaf gimmick people made about it. Chikorita actually got better in HGSS it could actually make a good moveset. IDK why people are saying Chikorita has an awful movepool, Snivy's is much worse.

I'm sorry but Chikorita is not a good choice whenever I was playing the games. There was never a need for it.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom