• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
The monkey can suck it!

Also, I don't understand the Chikorita hate. She's awesome

probably because meganium is the worst fully-evolved starter? bleh, it's just my opinion.

as a follower of the franchise ever since the time the first gen being released, i can safely attest that the first two gen had the most mediocre starters overall. also i dont get the hate on the monkey, because at the end of the day its final evo is much more useful than say a charizard ever was.

that being said, i will without any doubt pick chikorita as the wors– wait i forgot that pikachu was your starter on yellow.

so its the subpar mascot mouse then. what a joke.

i would have to say pikachu. i would rather have a caterpi or weedle.at least they evolve into something useful and can actually evolve! in yellow it has to stay a pikachu wtf we're not supposed to be ash in those games

I have to say Mudkip, but not because of Mudkip, because of it`s evolutions. They are just ugly : P Mudkip is cute though.

Chikorita line is cute, but moveset they have is really poor.

All the Mijumaru-haters, speak to my signature : D

Mijumaru looks...meh, and Pikachu is a bad Pokemon for a starter.

What the heck is with Chikorita hate? I know Meganium looks crappy but it's a good cleric.

Mijumaru looks...meh, and Pikachu is a bad Pokemon for a starter.

What the heck is with Chikorita hate? I know Meganium looks crappy but it's a good cleric.

I'll say this again leave the Isshu starters out of this until we learn more abou them

I think Mudkip and Chikorita. Never really liked those two, but I voted for Mudkip because at the time, I had kinda forgotten that Chikorita existed. :\

heh heh heh. If we go by the poll, Squirtle seems to be the best starter

What's with all the piplup hate? Empoleon is a boss.

I'd have to say Chikorita. If you lose to the first 2 gyms and you're not a freaking fire breathing dragon, you suck big time.

heh heh heh. If we go by the poll, Squirtle seems to be the best starter

Hells yeah.

The monkey can suck it!

Also, I don't understand the Chikorita hate. She's awesome

Chikorita don't have advantage over ANY of the Johto gyms, and it's weak to/resisted by 6 of them, that leaves Chuck and Whitney, Whitney is Whitney so it's not good there either, the only thing it's good at is beating up Chuck's Poliwrath. And the Elite Four is not much better, Chiko is beaten by 3 of Will's Pokemon, Koga kills it. 4 of Karen's Pokemon also beat it and then Lance can humiliate it one last time.

And most of it moves are support moves, which are not useful during the story because hard hitting is the preferable option against the Artificial "Intelligence".

I say either Cyndaquil or Chikorita. Cyndaquil because its severely outclassed by all other fire types. Worse, it has the same stat layout as Charizard who atleast has Bellydrum. Typhlosion is in no way 'bad' but there are so many better ones. Atleast it looks cool.

Chikorita because it too is outclassed in almost everyway.

Why do people hate Piplup, besides anime? It's wicked! Or, Empoleon is.

I never saw what people liked about with Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur

chikorita, its cute etc. but useless.
and swamper don't like him that much, but who doesn't like mudkipz.
not going to vote for the new ones, since we haven't seen much of them.

I feel I enjoy all of the starters. I've used them all at one point or another and I'd have to say Mudkip and Chimchar are my least favorites from a combined design and playability standpoint.
Swampert is just nasty looking to me and I'd take the Torchic line over Chimchar's any day.

Can't really vote fairly for a gen 5 starter.

Not true, actually. The Poision typing adds Psychic as a weakness, and negates Ground as a resistance. It's about the same.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom