• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
BTW, Oshawott's line finally seems to be getting a lot of love in my area. Maybe it's something about the whole "battle unicorn" idea.
Actually, it might due to the whole "samurai theme" the designers gave to the Oshawott line. Which many people seem to love Samurais. :-D

I really think Chimchar is the worst starter. It is SO ugly. What's the point of a fire monkey! What the h**l was the designers thinking of?

Chikorita isn't exactly the best starter around, but how it's hogging all the votes away from Oshawott and Tepig is beyond me.

Sorry Chikorita, but I'll never forget the torment you put me through. You'll never trouble me again. May God have mercy on anyone who has the patience to play through the game with you.

pikachu. hands down, pikachu. i just dont like the thing. it is pathetic. i dont think i have ever tried to have pikachu apart from the time when i got him from the pbr mystery gift event( it surfs). i would say pikachu is the worst of the bunch. the only good and decent move it can learn is volt tackle and i dont want to got to trophy garden and catch endless pikachu until i get a light ball.

Totodile, purely based on its design and in the anime. I just struggle to find anything nice about a crocodile. However Sandile doesnt bother me ^_^

Chikorita. Horrible evolutions, absolutely useless. Just take a look at meganium's face and you will know why i don't like Chikorita family...

I hate piplup..Why?
Because i kept soft-resetting for modest nature because that its best nature.. and i lost to barry in the first battle itself because tackle wouldnt hurt him. Then he doesnt turn into empoleon for years. And after turning into empoleon,its so slow that it keeps losing to electrics and gliscor.
Prinplup also looks horrible.

I like chiko more than snivy

I REALLY dislike Pokabu/Tepig. It's really annoying, it's design isn't too good, and we really don't need another fire/fighting type starter evolution.

Personally, I can appreciate almost all of the starters in some way. The one that I like the least, though, is the Tepig line. Whereas the all the other lines have at least one or two Pokémon with appearances that I like, I'm not really a fan of their designs at all. The other problem that I can think of is their being the third Fire-Fighting starter chain in a row, but some of that is them just being the most recent one.

Making a note here that Treecko/Grovyle's final evolution and both of Mudkip's are unappealing to me.

I don't see how people like Turtwig so much. It's ugly in my opinion.

And I can never get attached to it either.

What difference does its appearance make? Is there some sort of new gameplay element I am somehow unaware of?

Chikorita is the worst-ish starter competitively, and Turtwig is the second. Charmander is third worst.

Meganium has never been used much competitively, but that might've been dut to oversight (scanning Bayleef and Meganium as you read)... anyway, the other two have problems that Eviolite is hard-pressed to solve (although both gain their secondary types in their final stage, neither of their middle stages are very good defensively--though Grotle can be a decent physical wall, and can do other unique things...)...

Pokabu (fourth) and Oshawott (fifth) come next (awkward dual attack stat distributions, low speed), and I'd place Bulbasaur at sixth. The rest are all very useable--but Meganium and Samurott, and, on a dare-y kind of day, Emboar: I'd venture to use those guys in OU too. (Venusaur could be sneaked into OU to do one or two things though.)

Chikorita, because I think that starter is sort of useless. Second would be Tepig because it's another fire and fighting type starter.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom