• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst starter?

Which starter is the worst?

• Total voters
Since I've played some Gen V games, I'm going with Snivy line. I just don't like it as much as Oshawott and Tepig and I'm not really a big fan of it's movepool. Really, the only thing I do like about it is it's final evolution design. That and it seems to be one that has to overcome adversity in all of the Gyms. I can think of more gyms where Snivy is screwed if you don't have something to counterbalance it's strengths and weaknesses. I count 6 gyms, 5 if you take out Striaton since everyone is screwed there for Snivy.

I say Pikachu, being that I don't count it as a legit starter. Plus I don't like him that much.

Totodile. I played through Gold my first time, but that was just because I really liked water types at the time. Even then, I thought him and his evolved forms were ugly. In addition, he wasn't that great. Most of the other water starters have been much better in my opinion.

Chikorita.

I have never had the patience to raise it in GSC. It's either weak to or not very effective to at least 6 of the 8 gyms in Johto, and by the time you get to Kanto, you'll (usually) have better Pokes by then that could outdo Chikorita/Meganium.

It's good for a challenge, but I just have no patience in it.

Otherwise, I like its and its evolutions' designs, but the rest of it is no.

I would have to say Mudkip because once it evolves in Swampert, it has 4x weakness against grass (Sceptile can with its grass moves) and now 2x effective against fighting because it's also a ground type and Blaziken can beat Swampert with fighting moves and Blaziken is much faster than Swampert.

I would have to say Mudkip because once it evolves in Swampert, it has 4x weakness against grass
So? At least Swampert has only a weakness of 1 type. Thats better than a type combination that adds more type weakness to the game. Also Swampert is unaffected by one Mudkip's weakness Electric. Thanks to its ground typing.
and now 2x effective against fighting because it's also a ground type and Blaziken can beat Swampert with fighting moves and Blaziken is much faster than Swampert.
Ground is not 2x weak to Fighting. Swampert gets normal damage to Fighting attacks. And Swampert could easily destroy Blaziken.

So? At least Swampert has only a weakness of 1 type. Thats better than a type combination that adds more type weakness to the game. Also Swampert is unaffected by one Mudkip's weakness Electric. Thanks to its ground typing.

Ground is not 2x weak to Fighting. Swampert gets normal damage to Fighting attacks. And Swampert could easily destroy Blaziken.

No wait nevermind, well atleast Blaziken's faster.

Based on stats: Chikorita
Based on design: Chimchar
Based on the anime: Piplup

And I also kinda don't like Pikachu. Aside from being overrated trash (starting in the Johto arc), it kinda screws you over in Yellow (because unlike the anime, you can't set off the sprinklers to weaken Brock's Onix).

Since I've played some Gen V games, I'm going with Snivy line. I just don't like it as much as Oshawott and Tepig and I'm not really a big fan of it's movepool. Really, the only thing I do like about it is it's final evolution design. That and it seems to be one that has to overcome adversity in all of the Gyms. I can think of more gyms where Snivy is screwed if you don't have something to counterbalance it's strengths and weaknesses. I count 6 gyms, 5 if you take out Striaton since everyone is screwed there for Snivy.

couldn't have put it better myself. Once i got Serperior i shifted her out :/

I'm honestly going to have to say Turtwig. I never really liked it or so saw it very appealing...and I don't like it's typing either. Don't get me wrong, it and it's line are creative and definitely great Pokemon, but if I had to pick they're the least favorite of mine.

Snivy. It really doesn't have anything special about it, barring its DW ability. Even so, all it can do then is spam Leaf Storm.

Snivy for its terrible movepool for both offensive sides, even for a subseeder. He truly deserves better.

This should've been multiple choice

Anyway, I hate oshawott because of it's design. IT'S NOT CUTE

The other starters look so adorable and makes me spend several hours just to choose which I should pick. Not to mentions their evos also look okay. LOLZ

But oshawott? I didn't even bother looking at his pokeball.

I liked it for the "U mad?" face it had back when we were all 'mirin' the starters before anyone got to use them in game, but I have to say that Snivy sucks ass. Oshawott and Tepig I simply didn't choose for looks, but god if they don't work better than the green serpent they must suck like a portal to a world plagued by Black Death.

I don't know. I don't think I'll vote on this due to uncertainty, but I would probably pick Chickorita. None too strong, none too interesting, I love Totodile to death, etc.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom