• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Team Rocket Disguise?

almost every single one of them is painfully obvious. By now Ash and co. should be able to identify them in his sleep through 12 ft of concrete. I mean, how oblivious can you get? I used to think hed learn, but I fear that day will never come

This one from DP4, Nando's debut ep:

3yx3ewl.jpg

Yes, this was an actual disguise that fooled Ash and co, believe it or not.

The worst part about this disguise is the big red R is clearly visible on both of the Rockets. I seriously began to question Ash and co's intelligence after that episode.

The invisible costumes from Holy Matrimony. That was the least effective disguise in the show itself, but it wins my award for the most memorable - which I can't give to James's inflatable boobs from Holiday at Acapulco, because it'd be WAY too predictable.

Well, for me, any outfit where they seem to be in "Clark Kent" mode. Put on a suit and glasses, and all of a sudden, you can't recognize 'em. How lame.
What about the one where James dresses as a girl and both him and Jessie wear skirts and have orange hair? That one was creepy..
They were dressed in ganguro style, which was popular in Japan at the time, even though it had been around prior to that. Bright hair (orange in TR's case), dark or tan skin, and all that. The fad seems to have died or calmed down over the years, though. I don't even hear much about it anymore. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Jynx's original design (where her skin was black), was based on manba style or either that yamanba style. I forgot which was which. Both are just more extreme versions of the whole ganguro look, as the skin tends to be darker, the hair brighter or wilder. In a way, though, the disguise wasn't that bad.

The one already mentioned, though, that has to be the obvious winner. You have to be completely brain dead not to know that it's them.
The invisible costumes from Holy Matrimony. That was the least effective disguise in the show itself, but it wins my award for the most memorable - which I can't give to James's inflatable boobs from Holiday at Acapulco, because it'd be WAY too predictable.
Well, for that episode, it was supposed to be a reference to Kabuki theater. Kurogo are stagehands who stand behind the actors on stage and act as their shadows and are supposed to be giving off the impression that they are "invisible" to the audience as they aren't actors and all that and how the audience isn't supposed to pay any attention to them, which James' parents did. If I'm not mistaken, I'm sure they did this for Noh plays too.

Seems early Pokemon eps referenced Japanese culture quite a bit.

Last edited:
Been watching a lot of pokemon on the computer. So this has come to mind.

What is the worst disguise that team rocket has tried? I have to say in kanto when they made James dress up as a girl or maybe when they made meowth dress as a Sunflora.
A bush!

Meowth as May and Wobbuffet as Max. Enough said.
The worst part is it worked and they fool May’s neighbors to the point they couldn’t figured out who was the real one having both pairs next to each other. Even though May was extremely short, didn’t have a nose and had like 3 fingers in each hand. And Max was blue and couldn’t talk. Even the real May was confused.

But there was one in diamond and pearl where they wore a vest over their uniform and glasses and called it a day. And it worked too.

The worst part is it worked and they fool May’s neighbors to the point they couldn’t figured out who was the real one having both pairs next to each other. Even though May was extremely short, didn’t have a nose and had like 3 fingers in each hand. And Max was blue and couldn’t talk. Even the real May was confused.
That was also the episode where an entire city bullied a ten year old because he wanted to challenge the Gym Leader and May was declared winner of a battle over Ash after Torchic injured him and the corrupt ref declared her the winner (which she was happy about--that was actually one of my first AG episodes so I had a rather low opinion of her for a while).

Basically everyone in that city was both hilariously dense and horrible people and I was rooting for the TRio.

Edit: The weird part? They saw through their disguises in Vermillion City despite them being comparatively decent to later ones.

Last edited:
That was also the episode where an entire city bullied a ten year old because he wanted to challenge the Gym Leader

Objectively, this sounds mortifying. Admittedly though, I enjoyed it because Hoenn Ash was quite bratty-especially when it came to prioritizing the group's destinations with his Gym challenges. I'm not sure if that was a dub thing, but I'm glad that aspect of his personality toned down considerably in later sagas.

Objectively, this sounds mortifying. Admittedly though, I enjoyed it because Hoenn Ash was quite bratty-especially when it came to prioritizing the group's destinations with his Gym challenges. I'm not sure if that was a dub thing, but I'm glad that aspect of his personality toned down considerably in later sagas.
AG Ash felt sort of like he was being written as going through the early teen phase; he was more mature than in the original series in a lot of ways (in that very episode he was at least happy the town liked Pikachu even if they still hated him) but was also more aggressive and a bit moody at times.
I think the issue where he got into arguments about destinations could be because he wasn't used to having someone with their own goals following with him; they had to make detours for May's contests while Brock and Misty (and Tracey) were mostly happy to follow him.

I think he got better about those issues in the Frontier arc but it's been a while, and took another jump in DP.

I'm not sure which one is the dumbest since they're all ridiculous, but I'm gonna say that I miss those early days when Trio wouldn't fool Satoshi and the others with those costumes.

Not that I don't like them, in the contrary, I love the desguises, it's just it seems a little dumb for the heroes to never see through them.

On this subject, people often cite the twerps recognising the TRio in the Pikachu vs Raichu episode as a noteworthy occasion (or evidence that Satoshi didn't used to be so dumb in early Kanto or something). I have just rewatched that episode and they're only shown to recognise them AFTER Musashi and Kojiro start the motto together! Surely that doesn't really count?!

On this subject, people often cite the twerps recognising the TRio in the Pikachu vs Raichu episode as a noteworthy occasion (or evidence that Satoshi didn't used to be so dumb in early Kanto or something). I have just rewatched that episode and they're only shown to recognise them AFTER Musashi and Kojiro start the motto together! Surely that doesn't really count?!
I'm not a 100% sure but I believe there're other episodes the same thing happens and Satoshi doesn't even become suspicious. Can't give an example as well since the disguises fooling everyone is something that probably happened over 500 times already.

From the top of my head I can remember instances of Satoshi-tachi recognizing them (or almost) when they accidentally or intentionaly call them "Twerps".

I'm not sure which one is the dumbest since they're all ridiculous, but I'm gonna say that I miss those early days when Trio wouldn't fool Satoshi and the others with those costumes.

I'm not exactly sure if it was dub-only thing or not, but I could have sworn Ash and co. didn't recognize them when they gave them the S.S. Anne tickets, or when they reached Saffron City.

I'm not exactly sure if it was dub-only thing or not, but I could have sworn Ash and co. didn't recognize them when they gave them the S.S. Anne tickets, or when they reached Saffron City.
Yeah, they didn't. But now that you said it the St. Anne episode came before the Aopulco episode, that's what I believe's the last time Satoshi recognized the Trio in a disguise.

Pokemon World's citizens had actual intellect they never would've fallen for them.
Not even intellect, just basic functioning eyes.

I couldn’t see AG due to the erratic airing of my country's dub at the time, and I haven’t bothered to see the series since, but the episode summary... I'd have shut down the television halfway through the episode I had been subjected to that rubbish (when I was very well within the "target audience" of 10-13). That episode sounds like trash.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom