• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Way Ash Has Lost The Pokemon League?

PokeDot517

Reaction score
Worst way Ash lost the Pokémon league?
---------------------------------------
If you've been a long time fan of the Pokémon anime like me, you may think that the worst times throughout the series are the league championships because of the you-know-what that happens to Ash every time he competes...sigh.

Anyways, What's the worst way he's lost the league in your opinion? I ask this because I'm currently watching all the league episodes from every saga in the anime to not only cry at the sheer repetitive nature of Ash losing the league but to prepare for the Kalos league and this thought came to me.

I'd probably say that the worst way he lost was the Sinnoh league. I thought Tobias having all legendaries was a REALLY cheap way for Ash to lose because if Ash could beat Paul his hardest rival yet, I don't think he would suddenly lose to just some ordinary competitor. They had to create an impossible battle for Ash.

My brain utterly broke during the Unova league with the battle between Ash and Cameron...worst battle I've ever seen in the ENTIRE anime yet. Completely disgusted by how Ash and Cameron were just throwing out Pokémon willy nilly without thinking about strategy, type advantages, etc like who puts an Oshawott up against an Hydraigon? And the fact that Ash lost against Cameron a guy who didn't know you need eight gym badges to compete in the league, didn't know the Unova league is held in ya know...Unova, didn't know to bring six Pokémon to a full battle, didn't know to register...r-really? I know Ash is an idiot but he actually loses against this guy...bullsh*t.

Anyways I can say that the losses against Harrison with his Blaziken and Tyson with his Meowth were disappointing but were acceptable because they were just ordinary trainers that were just better and more powerful than Ash.

As for the Indigo league loss...I dunno. Yes Ash's Charizard disobeying his commands and sleeping in the end was a very underwhelming and rapid way for Ash to lose but...I guess it's a worse way to lose that Tyson or Harrison but not as bad Tobias and Cameron.

I just hope Ash wins the Kalos league but we all know what's most likely going to happen... :(

My humble opinions of course. :)

Last edited:
Kanto by a long shot. Yes Tobias had the legendaries, and yes the Cameron battle was rather underwhelming, but at least they were battles of some merit. The Indigo League was barely even a battle due to Ash's Pokemon being exhausted. Not to mention Charizard being the useless jerk he was known to be in the anime at the time.

It is the Indigo League loss that is the hardest to watch Ash deal with, because everything was pretty much out of his control.

I would definitely say the Unova League is his worst loss. He didn't battle with any strategy, and frankly, didn't seem to care that much about the outcome. He also had one more pokémon than Cameron and still lost, which is just... disappointing, really.

I know a lot of people were disappointed with his loss against Tobias, but I didn't really mind. He was going to lose either way, and if it was against a regular trainer we probably would have been left with the feeling of "ugh, he was so close!". So either way people would have been upset. Plus, the battle was entertaining and he did manage to take down his Darkrai, something which nobody else had done.

His loss in the Kanto League was embarrassing, yes, but it was valid and something that he needed to address as a trainer. Plus, it was his first league and placing as well as he did was good, to say the least.

His losses in Johto and Hoenn weren't disappointing or embarrassing at all, in my opinion. They were both good battles to watch and you could tell that there was strategy and work put in by both sides.

So yeah, definitely the Unova League.

His loss in the Kanto League was embarrassing, yes, but it was valid and something that he needed to address as a trainer. Plus, it was his first league and placing as well as he did was good, to say the least.
Actually, that's true. His loss in Kanto provided a much needed learning experience, which probably allowed him to 'wake up' and realize his shortcomings.

I would definitely say the Unova League is his worst loss. He didn't battle with any strategy, and frankly, didn't seem to care that much about the outcome. He also had one more pokémon than Cameron and still lost, which is just... disappointing, really.

As Life said, to me losing to losing in kanto, jhoto, sinnoh, and heonn something acceptable, but losing to cameron this studip person who is must not allowed to register after lating is unacceptable, unforgivable and furious.

How this person won a single match or a single gym badge. If you asking me, then losing to this guy means I need to back to home and never show you my face again.

1. This guy must not allowed to register after lating, however Ash became stupid and asked Joy. Why did you do that Ash? And Even if you did that, Joy must not accept; because it must be a limit to registration so Why did you allowed Cameron to compete Joy?

2. This guys must not have a singal pokemon; because there is no connection (communication) between his stupidly unforgivable person character and his pokemon So how did he got these pokemon and got a badge or won a single match - I am sure these pokemon gave themselves to him; because he can't do a single thing so they say if we leave him alone then he will die no doubt.

3. Using Hair tie is unforgivable idea too.

4. Did you see his embarassing win against Bianca (Bel)? She must beat him 2-0; because she had a great idea when she used Iron Defense but she lost to first pokemon. Then she show him another great idea by using attract and then beat Samurat - But how a final stage and strong pokemon like Emboar lost to riolu.

5. Beating Ash is most unforgivable thing, because Everything he did is wrong by wrong. Using 3 disadvantages (2 losts) and one beat unfazeant (How riolu did that I don't know) Flying must have a good match against fighting type like riolu (if lucario, then it can happen but riolu i don't know how) + He used a secret weapon in first pokemon (how did you use a secret weapon if first, Are you stupid or maybe you didn't know the meaning of secret weapon) + He used a copy cat to challenge Snivy, Are you stupid? Even if he can use that, however snivy is a grass type so using copy cat means using a final attack snivy did which means using a grass type and because Snivy is grass so she must not affects by grass type attack - Also, Snivy did everything to riolu but he still didn't deat and also evolved so snivy lost to lucario - Finally, He beated ash with 5 pokemon How this can be?

6. Finally, after all that she lost easily to that man who had a eve group (6-3)

Worst, as in the most glorious display of incompetence? Unova, of course. Ash even had an advantage, yet he still threw that to the breeze and went down in flames. The snoozing Charizard and Tobias were diaboli-ex-machina that he had little control over, and to his credit, he did take out that Darkrai... no small feat in both anime AND game context.

For me it's neck and neck between the Kanto and Isshu Leagues.

And to be honest, I never minded Tobias. I feel it was better way to lose and it was a good battle in general, IMHO.

Last edited:
Tobias curb stomp and losing a 3v6 come to mind. (as he beat two of them in 1 shot by Cameron was stupid enough to throw out those with a 4* weakness)

His loss to Ritchie was pretty bs too with sleep being a ko and Charizard cbaing.

The Unova League was easily his worst defeat. Cameron was such an idiot who didn't even know anything basic like what a full battle was, how many badges he needed or that the Unova League would actually be in Unova. Ash had an advantage over him with his team and actually had more Pokemon, but he still lost. It was just painfully bad, especially when Cameron proceeded to lose against a team of Eeveelutions. The way Ash lost in the Kanto League was more frustrating than flat out bad if that makes any sense. It was mostly frustrating due to how if he didn't spend so much time fighting off Team Rocket, he might have been able to win, but getting to the Top 8 in his first Pokemon League would have been too high too, especially given his skills at the time.

There wasn't much wrong with how he lost in the Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh Leagues. I don't even mind Tobias. He was incredibly overpowered with his Legendary Pokemon, but I still think it made Ash's defeat easier to deal with. If he had lost to a regular trainer after finally beating Paul, I think it would have been more annoying, but here, he got to go down in a blaze of glory against Legendary Pokemon, so it was a lot cooler to watch.

Isshu for sure, it felt like the writers tried the hardest to make the battle shitty as possible, including not giving us the satisfaction of a 6 vs 6 battle because Kotetsu only brought 5 Pokemon.
Nobody can white knight this battle, not even the most hardcore fans.

It really comes down to "what are you looking for in a loss"? In terms of entertainment value, I prefer Unova to Sinnoh-the battle with Tobias was such a forgone conclusion that I had little interest in it, while the (admittedly contrived) twists in the Cameron battle kept me more engaged, even though he clearly was a lesser opponent.

Unova, no question. Ash was so stupid in that battle that it reminded me of when I played Crystal when I was three and took nine tries to beat Bugsy. I've gotten better, but for Ash, it doesn't help that CAMERON WAS AN IDIOT, TOO. I don't really mind the other losses; it was understandable in Sinnoh because it wasn't really his fault, he just got completely unmatched. Relying on Charizard in Kanto was dumb, but it was his first tourney, and he most likely got a bit cocky from getting so far. Johto and Hoenn's losses I have no issues with whatsoever.

Hmmmm, Well out of them all I'd have to say I hate Unova's loss. It literally made me stop watching until the XY series started because I was just so done at that point xD

Its a tough answer really, because there are many times he's lost a league and for whatever reason, watching his loss was rather painful, embarrassing, downright disappointed, or just infuriating in one way or another.

Lets take a look at his first league loss. This one was pretty bad, because not only were his Pokemon exhausted the whole battle, but Charizard absolutely refused to fight. This just cost Ash the match which was not only embarrassing, but disappointing. It was his first league and he was a rookie, so its understandable.

Looking at Johto and Hoenn...There's nothing really wrong with these losses. Ash just fought against two trainers who were slightly better than he was. He fought well against Harrison and Tyson, but in the end, Charizard and Pikachu just fell short of beating Blaziken and Meowth. These were very acceptable.

THEN YOU GOT SINNOH. This was an infuriating loss honestly. I feel like Ash was cheated out of a victory here by pitting him against a guy I think shouldn't have been allowed to compete with the Pokemon he used. It was unfair to all the trainers in the league because Tobias had these Pokemon that are meant to be stronger than regular Pokemon. Ash was at his peak here and he had a great team. He could have won the whole thing or have made it to the final match, but the writers couldn't let him make any further progress because they wanted to rush to start up the train wreck that was Best Wishes. Sure Ash tried his best and took down Darkrai, but it was absolutely infuriating to watch him get curb stomped by Tobias and his legendary Pokemon, which should be banned from leagues. I was pretty furious with this one really.

Lets take a look at Unova next...Fucking Cameron...The idiot who only brought 5 Pokemon to a full battle. This match was just awful. The choreography of the battle was poor and there was little to no strategy involved. Ash and Cameron continually made awful choices through the battle and it just looked bad for both of them. Everything about this battle was irritating and the fact that Cameron only got a lucky evolution made it worse. Not to mention he should have been disqualified for not having a 5th Pokemon. Just...Awful. A horrible ending to a horrible league saga and not to mention, it showed how much Ash regressed as a trainer.

I'm gonna say either Sinnoh or Unova. Sinnoh was unfair as fuck and Unova was so infuriating. Lets hope things go better in Kalos presumably by December or early next year.

I'd say the Kanto loss against Richie would always be the worst way to lose for me. While it made sense to do that to showcase how much more Ash needs to improve as a trainer, I just thought it was an unfair way to lose just because Charizard wouldn't listen to Ash. Like that scenario was pretty much a non-battle and pretty underwhelming way for Ash to end the league.

The Unova league was pretty bad too. I really don't like the way they made Cameron as a character. It was also very confusing as to why the writers made Cameron use 5 when he had a 6th pokemon. Especially since even if Ash were to lose, all they needed to do was to have one of Ash's pokemon one shot Watchog and then lose to Lucario at the end. I think the writers just tried way too hard to make Cameron be a dumb but successful character type of trope when it really wasn't needed. However, I prefer this ever so slightly to the Kanto league loss because at least Ash got to battle a bit before going down.

I remember that the Sinnoh league loss was pretty unpopular when I first watched it. I think it's probably one of my favorite losses actually. If only because at the tail end of AG, Ash got to battle all three Regis by going up against Brandon (even though the first battle was when Ash was possessed). So I thought it was nice to see Ash end his Sinnoh journey by going up against legendaries. Because at that point, he beat his rival Paul (who I think is probably one of his best rivals ever) in a three episode battle. Like if Ash were to lose, I'd rather see him lose to pokemon that were the next level of difficulty than to another trainer with regular pokemon. And to see that Ash was the only one to beat Darkrai out of all the trainers in that league...at least he got those brownie points.

Really, losing to Tobias is cool to me
I like that finally someone had a legendary pokemon and challenge Ash and as Hidden mew said : "If he had lost to a regular trainer after finally beating Paul, I think it would have been more annoying, but here, he got to go down in a blaze of glory against Legendary Pokemon, so it was a lot cooler to watch."

Unova, the reasons are myriad and frustrating. It's like the writers though they couldn't top Sinnoh's for a climax and instead tried to top it for the most polarizing loss in the anime's history.

Back
Top Bottom