• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Way Ash Has Lost The Pokemon League?

The only ways Ash lost that I actually liked were his matches against Harrison and Tyson. As a person who avidly hates legendary spamming, I just didn't like it when someone came sweeping in with a Darkrai, and it's ridiculous that Ash was the first Trainer after all this time to ever beat it. There was just nothing interesting about Cameron's battle, especially given that Cameron only had five Pokémon, and the battle with Charizard against Ritchie was a bit painful to watch.

How would Goodra be in his Unova team?

It'd be a struggle for him to find the exact same Lapras... who barely battled.

Lapras and Heracross are 'unevolved' by the way.

Are you seriously arguing that it's better to use a Snivy, Oshawott and Pignite over Goodra, Heracross and Lapras?

No. I'm aruging that it's impossible for Ash to have used Goodra in the league. I'd use Pignite over Lapras, Lapras would be low levelled.

How would Goodra be in his Unova team?

It'd be a struggle for him to find the exact same Lapras... who barely battled.

Lapras and Heracross are 'unevolved' by the way.

Are you seriously arguing that it's better to use a Snivy, Oshawott and Pignite over Goodra, Heracross and Lapras?

No. I'm aruging that it's impossible for Ash to have used Goodra in the league. I'd use Pignite over Lapras, Lapras would be low levelled.

The point I'm trying to prove is how much BS it is that participants in the Pokemon League use weak Pokemon instead of the best teams they can come up with. At this point it seems like a plot device for Ash not to win the Pokemon League and become a Pokemon Master. It's bad writing, even for a kid's tv show.

That's only Ash.

Everyone else takes the league seriously to at least not use a team with 5 NFE pokemon in a top 8 match.

It would be cool if Ash would once take down 5 of the foes pokemon, even a mega, and with full weakened 6 pokemon team then to lose to the sixth - that is a legendary.
This would be something.

Yes the Battles against Cameron, Richie and Darkrai where to short.
(fans want more battles, some longer, some short, but average longer and more)

The battle against Richie was the worst by far. I mean Cameron was a novice, but managed to gain ground swiftly, which is just like the player character in any NPC, a brand new rookie getting their first Pokemon, doesn't even know how to battle or catch them, and then by the end of the year, this person is apparently the strongest trainer in the region (as champion) so I don't find Cameron's success that hard to swallow.

I think Tobias and his Darkrai (not to mention that lati) were shoe horned in at the last minute as no doubt they had another plan for Ash, (maybe face the Elite Four and Champion the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, maybe he was going to win and a new trainer would start the new BW series, BW was meant to be all brand new, no old characters/Pokemon etc and Ash had demonstrated some great skill in Sinnoh, and they seemed to be gearing up for him to make an E4 Challenge or at least face Cynthia again.

The worst for me was his battle with Richie, he lost simply because his Pokemon fell asleep and couldn't be bothered to battle, it was a stupid ending and very anti climatic to this big journey that has been building up for months.

Unova >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kanto > Sinnoh > Hoenn/Johto
I hope Ash brings back older Pokémon in Kalos League, mostly because of the 20th Anniversary and writers can't ignore what they created earlier (well yes, but pls no). But I think that SatoSmogonfrog, Sonic Wyvern, Lucha Libre Bird, Bird Jesus, and the Electric Rat are a pretty overpowered team. It'd be even more overpowered if he brought back Mega Charzilla Y or Mega Grass Smugface (Sceptile). But I think it could be good to end ASH'S series now, and make him establish in Gen 7 Region and his son/daughter could continue the journey with a lil Pichu.

Kanto because losing the league with a disobedient pokemon is just wrong. Unova because Ash losing to Cameron was a setback to what he did in Sinnoh.
The only part of Sinnoh league I didn't like was Tobias using legendary pokemon because that is completely unfair to other trainers who don't use legendary pokemon but at least Ash landed in top 4.

I still say that losing to Cameron was the worst way to go. Ash gave it everything he had, wasn't a complete noob as in the Kanto days, messed up Cameron's "flawless" plan by actually defeating the secret weapon of Hydreigon, had Riolu backed into a corner by Snivy, and still loses just because the writers loved Lucario too much. And this is against a guy who thought that full battles were 5v5.
The guy went into a full battle in the league quarterfinals with only 5 Pokémon. And won. Absolute rubbish. There was no other excuse outside of lazy writing and goddammed plot armor.

I actually haven't seen ANY of his League Losses except the Johto one, which I saw when it originally aired like over a decade and a half ago, so I don't remember it too well.

But I'd say they're all pretty bad:

- Indigo: Charizard causes Ash to be disqualified due to his disobedience. Total copout, since he'd have to go to Johto anyway, there's no need for him to lose.

- Orange: He actually won that one, which is what makes it so bad. The only league he won is the one they specifically created for him.

- Johto: He loses because he faces an unknown Pokémon. Since Ash doesn't know its strengths and weaknesses, it makes sense, but it's still a copout since most Pokémon's strengths and weaknesses are unknown to him, due to only having trained like 20 at that time.

- Hoenn: He loses to a Meowth. A MEOWTH. Something he and Pikachu have been fighting (and decimating!) since DAY ONE. Knowing he would be going up against a Normal-type, and only ever having owned two Fighting-types and one Ghost-type, this would've been the PERFECT opportunity to call back his Primeape from Anthony, his Heracross from Oak or his Haunter from Sabrina (this one is more unlikely, since it's implied if Haunter leaves Sabrina, she'll go psycho again.) This loss is probably the most embarrassing.

- Sinnoh: He loses to TWO legendaries. Not even a full TEAM. He loses to TWO legendaries, that he could easily take down. And that's because of his lackluster team for that battle. He ALWAYS, ALWAYS has to use Pikachu. NO, ASH! He should've had Heracross on his team (a Bug-Fighting) to DECIMATE the dark-type Darkrai. And Glalie would've been perfect to take down the Dragon-type Latios.

- Unova: I read what happened just now in this thread. Pathetic. The guy didn't even have any idea on where the league was being held or how to freakin' enter. HOW PATHETIC THAT ASH LOST TO HIM.

And Kalos will be even more pathetic still, because Ash now has a reservoir of 25 fully-evolved, extremely powerful Pokémon to choose from for conferences (if Noibat does evolve into Noivern, and Goodra and Primeape can be recalled), but he'll only use his current team plus PIKACHU and get his hyperactive little butt kicked right on the edge of glory. Again. For the 6th time.

- Sinnoh: He loses to TWO legendaries. Not even a full TEAM. He loses to TWO legendaries, that he could easily take down. And that's because of his lackluster team for that battle. He ALWAYS, ALWAYS has to use Pikachu. NO, ASH! He should've had Heracross on his team (a Bug-Fighting) to DECIMATE the dark-type Darkrai. And Glalie would've been perfect to take down the Dragon-type Latios.

Actually, Heracross was his first choice against Darkrai. After being hit by Dark Void, he landed a super effective Megahron via Sleep Talk but was then ruined by Dream Eater.

Ash only knew about Darkrai, Latios was completely unexpected. He simply had no way to prepare for Tobias's other five Pokémon and I assume most other trainers would have struggled like he did if they'd also gotten past Darkrai. The best choice against Latios amongst his chosen six was Gible but he'd already fallen to Darkrai earlier.

Actually, Heracross was his first choice against Darkrai. After being hit by Dark Void, he landed a super effective Megahron via Sleep Talk but was then ruined by Dream Eater.

Ash only knew about Darkrai, Latios was completely unexpected. He simply had no way to prepare for Tobias's other five Pokémon and I assume most other trainers would have struggled like he did if they'd also gotten past Darkrai. The best choice against Latios amongst his chosen six was Gible but he'd already fallen to Darkrai earlier.

Exactly. An unevolved Gible fell to a full-fledged Legendary. This is the kind of rookie mistakes Ash makes, especially if he already KNEW Tobias had a legendary Pokémon on his team.

Exactly. An unevolved Gible fell to a full-fledged Legendary. This is the kind of rookie mistakes Ash makes, especially if he already KNEW Tobias had a legendary Pokémon on his team.

I am sorry, even if Ash brought Infernape and Charizard, I think they will make exactly zero difference to the outcome, and at most the Legendary take down count will be three. 2 to 6 or 3 to 6 is the same to me, both is a loss to Ashs side. So I don't even care. And you acted like Gible was weak. I am sorry, this Gible took down a Power Tricked Shuckle and a Dusknoir in a Trick Room, credits is where credits due, I will never consider Gible any weaker than Ash's other Pokemon.

And Pikachu took down a Regice and tied a Latios. Its just his power level seems very inconsistent. But you do realize its the writer's decision? Ash will lose anyways because of the script. Pikachu is doing good bearing all the blames, imagine if it was Charizard in the said battles? Ash had to lose, so Charizard will lose as pathetic as Pikachu, and I am sure the flying lizard fans will be more pissed than ever. It doesn't matter which Pokemon it is, its always the script.

'Why he didn't use [insert Pokemon]' equals 'Why he didn't lose with [insert Pokemon]' so I don't even understand the complain on this subject.

The worst I think is the Unova League, just because the battle is very lackluster, cliche, and overall dumb. And the fact that Cameron is the worst person to lose to in the entire league. I'd want him to lose to Bianca or Stephan to be fair.

Last edited:
I would definitely say the Unova League is his worst loss. He didn't battle with any strategy, and frankly, didn't seem to care that much about the outcome. He also had one more pokémon than Cameron and still lost, which is just... disappointing, really.

I know a lot of people were disappointed with his loss against Tobias, but I didn't really mind. He was going to lose either way, and if it was against a regular trainer we probably would have been left with the feeling of "ugh, he was so close!". So either way people would have been upset. Plus, the battle was entertaining and he did manage to take down his Darkrai, something which nobody else had done.

His loss in the Kanto League was embarrassing, yes, but it was valid and something that he needed to address as a trainer. Plus, it was his first league and placing as well as he did was good, to say the least.

His losses in Johto and Hoenn weren't disappointing or embarrassing at all, in my opinion. They were both good battles to watch and you could tell that there was strategy and work put in by both sides.

So yeah, definitely the Unova League.
I agree mostly, except two things: He didn't HAVE TO lose in Sinnoh, it was his 4th league, he has already won Orange League and Battle Frontier, he battled like a grown up and had an amazing learning curve as both person and trainer and he had amazing pokemon in his arsenal, some he forgot though as always. He lost because writers didn't want him to win and wrote BS character with legendaries, yes it was impressive Ash defeated two of them, would have been more impressive if he had won the whole thing vs Tobias and here is how. A trainer like Tobias has two aces, but probably the rest of his team is second rate cause all of the XP and training focus goes to Darkrai and Latios. So ash brings down those 2 and has only 1 pokemon left and wins 1v4 and wins the league. That would be epic. And I would love to see Ash vs Cynthia.
Secondly, yes the Ash vs Harrison fight is awesome, but it's like Ash forgot completely about type advantage of fire vs ice and fire vs steel although he has previously fought both in gyms and used a fire type. So wtf he didn't use Charizard earlier in the fight vs Harrison's Sneasel Steelix? Both weak to fire. Easy wins and he would have Totodile and Noctowl to use vs Blaziken and could win the match. But OK he has logic to save best for last, but why he doesn't order Charizard to fly around and use flying type moves and Dragon rage? Instead he repeatedly puts Charizard on the ground and makes him use Flamethrower over and over again, only using Dragon rage to block Blaziken's Flamethrower, as if he couldn't use regular flamethrower of his own to do that. That's something that was poorly written AGAIN just so Ash loses. Epic battle. But stupid loss that could have been avoided.

I would definitely say the Unova League is his worst loss. He didn't battle with any strategy, and frankly, didn't seem to care that much about the outcome. He also had one more pokémon than Cameron and still lost, which is just... disappointing, really.

I know a lot of people were disappointed with his loss against Tobias, but I didn't really mind. He was going to lose either way, and if it was against a regular trainer we probably would have been left with the feeling of "ugh, he was so close!". So either way people would have been upset. Plus, the battle was entertaining and he did manage to take down his Darkrai, something which nobody else had done.

His loss in the Kanto League was embarrassing, yes, but it was valid and something that he needed to address as a trainer. Plus, it was his first league and placing as well as he did was good, to say the least.

His losses in Johto and Hoenn weren't disappointing or embarrassing at all, in my opinion. They were both good battles to watch and you could tell that there was strategy and work put in by both sides.

So yeah, definitely the Unova League.
If it wasn't clear I agree the Unova league loss was the worst, but then again that was the worst Ash ever, felt like a zombie without brains, what did we expect lol? If someone watches for the first time I think you can skip the whole Unova series. And go straight to Kalos XYZ, it would make more sense to go from Sinnoh Ash to Kalos XYZ Ash, cause in Unova it's a 5 year old Ash not 10 year old and experienced trainer, even if the writers want us to forget he has previous experience.

Two things

1) Ash lost the Hoenn league to a Meowth with hats and boots. He lost the league to the same species of Pokémon he has to defeat pretty much every other episode...

2) Ash lost to a kid who swapped Swanna into Pikachu, Ferrothorn into Pignite, and literally forgot they could bring a maximum of 6 Pokémon, so they brought 5 instead. To rub in more salt on that wound the kid lost to a Monoeevee team in the round right after, making Unova's conference league winner some random guy with a full team of eevee/eeveelutions.

Take your pick but I think these two are it.

1) Ash lost the Hoenn league to a Meowth with hats and boots. He lost the league to the same species of Pokémon he has to defeat pretty much every other episode...
Going off this idk how people can say at that it was 100% Tyson's "ace" or his absolute strongest member of his team when it was at full health when it was brought out but barely defeated Pikachu.

Ash got screwed out of winning the Kalos League. I always felt Alain didn’t win, someone wanted Ash to lose.

Back
Top Bottom