• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would a complete reboot hinder your enjoyment of the anime?

When there exists massive potential, unused ideas and lot of directions through which this anime, Ash and every other characters right here and right now could be taken.

IT'S.NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN

Those characters are done, finished. They will not appear again as main characters, people need to get over it.
When its not characters and current show itself, but status quo and stale static formula dragged by predictable outlines and directions characteristic for pokemon series which is turning people away from following it.

I mean, shows like Precure and Digimon still follow a formula, they aren't goind to sudenly become masterpieces but a new cast is still enjoyable.

It's okay to miss old characters but you shouldn't hold on "what it could be", Pokeani characters aren't even that interesting for me to want to watch them for over 300 episodes neither they are allowed to do much besides things related to Pokemon.

IT'S.NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN

Those characters are done, finished. They will not appear again as main characters, people need to get over it.

You don't know that and it would be nice if you did not speak for the writers or the whole Fandom; it's your opinion and that's all it is, please stop trying to ruin other's hopes with your negative attitude. thank you. :)

You don't know that and it would be nice if you did not speak for the writers or the whole Fandom; it's your opinion and that's all it is, please stop trying to ruin other's hopes with your negative attitude. thank you. :)

I'm annoyed at people saying it shouldn't be a reboot but characters coming back which is more nosensical is a perfect rational idea.

I'd be for a reboot but not until Ash is given the proper character development along with rejoining and getting romantically involved with either Misty, May, Dawn, etc. defeats TR for good, (including Giovanni) and finally achieves his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master, marries one of his girls and the character is retired as a 100 % complete Pokemon Master Champion with his head held high.

The new protagonist would still have underdog traits but maybe different ones from Ash. He'd also idolize Ash and wish to be like him someday. Ash and friends would also show up occasionally and help the new protagonist.

So I'd all be for a reboot but first they have to have Ash's character come full circle, reach his goal and sit upon his throne as Pokemon master before they do so.

I'd be for a reboot but not until Ash is given the proper character development along with rejoining and getting romantically involved with either Misty, May, Dawn, etc. defeats TR for good, (including Giovanni) and finally achieves his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master, marries one of his girls and the character is retired as a 100 % complete Pokemon Master Champion with his head held high.

The new protagonist would still have underdog traits but maybe different ones from Ash. He'd also idolize Ash and wish to be like him someday. Ash and friends would also show up occasionally and help the new protagonist.

So I'd all be for a reboot but first they have to have Ash's character come full circle, reach his goal and sit upon his throne as Pokemon master before they do so.

Well XY&Z is already making progress in that regard. Though I think he would be walking into the sunset as a traveling trainer rather than sitting on a throne.

I'm annoyed at people saying it shouldn't be a reboot but characters coming back which is more nosensical is a perfect rational idea.
The premise of this thread is our personal opinions about a reboot. No one is talking about what is rational or likely, simply about what they'd prefer. It's very clear what you'd prefer, so kindly allow others to express the same without jumping down their throats.

IT'S.NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN

Strong indication how its not going to happen only reveals lack of care, incentive and long term planning going among ranks of writers and producers to change direction of pokemon series.
Where there exists more depth and emotion in group interactions, more unpredictability and variety inserted in storylines and unresolved conflicts. Followed with strong continuity and more more connected and plot driven development.

If those in charge of pokemon anime don't have ounce of desire to fix mess and graving issues existing within current pokemon anime timeline and continuity, than this doesn't give much consolation and guarantee how we could expect much better work from alternate pokemon show.
Coming of as cheap knock of with even worse characters and set up than what we have now.

Furthermore just because its not going to happen doesn't mean it shouldn't. Providing actual build up and closure to several unjustifiably abandoned and forgotten previous major characters. Making their course, impact, development and help given to Ash, story etc look in retrospective incredibly insignificant and obsolete. Given how legacy, their plots and existence is all but erased.

I mean, shows like Precure and Digimon still follow a formula, they aren't goind to sudenly become masterpieces but a new cast is still enjoyable.

It's okay to miss old characters but you shouldn't hold on "what it could be", Pokeani characters aren't even that interesting for me to want to watch them for over 300 episodes neither they are allowed to do much besides things related to Pokemon.

And that's ok for those who are looking for short term fun and easy way out where characters don't last for long and are frequently changed with new shows being regularly made detaching themselves from previous ones. But for those like me who want very long strong overarching adventure where each previously introduced plan and storyline builds on itself. Where anime is embellished with long lasting character development and continuity. Where we have stable cast with each member being treated as vital and irreplaceable part of show so that story cannot go forward without it.
All enveloped with meaningful and memorable storytelling. Something pokemon anime was envisioned to be. Being in its core long running anime ala style of Naruto, One Piece, Dragon ball etc, with journey happening over extended time(regardless of writers doing awfully bad and poor job from it).

Complete reboot is just a big NO for those like me. Who are too emotionally attached and invested on Ash, older characters, this pokemon series, timeline and continuity just to see it instead of being fixed and changed for better. Discarded away like trash in favor of alternate pokemon series with which I am 99% sure I wouldnp't even bother to get into and start following religiously.,

I don't want alternate pokemon anime. I want better work made out of already existing resources, protagonists and unused material through which just as great, evoking and profound storyline,progress could be achieved. As if it would be case with complete reboot if we work under presumption of new set up and characters being given proper care and attention with all parameters aligning under perfect conditions.

Most of all after 20 years if anything I feel few years from now pokemon anime as whole should end and be given spectacular ending. Wit no remakes happening afterwards. Because I want to see grand finale and denuaement occurring in my lifetime as selfish as this may sound. And with incredibly long service Ash was given as main protagonist, I think is only fair and appropriate that ultimate ending happens with him, his traveling companions and friends. Since they were those who started whole pokemon craziness, played role in developing it, making it worldwide recognized and accepted. Deserving to have role in its sunset as well.

Call me irrational or emotional(which is good thing showing how i actually care), but this is my stance toward this.

I don't actively watch the anime, but thinking about it I think getting rid of Ash would hinder Pokemon as a series in general. Pokemon makes a lot through it's merchandise. The face of Pokemon has been given to Pikachu. Pikachu took his place as mascot, do to his incredible popularity, which is because of the anime. I meet a lot of Pokemon loving kids every day at work, because my store sells quite a bit of Pokemon based merch. When I talk to these kids, the majority started their love of Pokemon through the anime. That's how I started my love of Pokemon. If the anime was to reboot, they would have to give the main trainer a Pikachu, which would feel redundant. If they got rid of Pikachu, the face of Pokemon would be getting less attention. With the loss of of Pikachu, the series could possibly loose a lot of love, and Pokemon could fall. Now it might not happen, Pokemon could find a new face to represent it, but it would never bee the same as it was. I don't want to see them get rid of Ash because I can't stand the though of what would happen if we lost Pikachu.

It probably wouldn't. Featuring someone other than Ash in a different way could be a nice change of air. Maybe it could be a solo quest. Maybe it could have a huge cast of characters and feature them in split ways. Maybe create a story like the manga where the badge quest isn't necessary. Idk. But even though I've both complained about Ash and fangirled over Ash for many years, I'm not going to be sad if he retires. I've seen a lot of anime/manga continuing on with the same characters for 10+, even 15+ years, and most of them are either suffering from too much popularity preventing them getting a decent closure and thus pitifully dragging on their stories to the point of writing carbon copied episodes, or got a horribly messed up ending as a result of all that suffering. There's such a thing as knowing when to end and giving a good send off in all its glory before it declines and ends in a shabby way that makes everyone and their dogs regret.

Do you guys think that one of the issues in the Pikachu element of the discussion is that the franchise's mascot isn't just any old Pikachu, it is Ikue Ohtani's Pikachu? Her voice is used in all the Pika merch isn't it? It would be weird for the very same Pikachu to be travelling in the anime with anyone other than Satoshi.

I'd be totally okay with a reboot because it's the actual concept behind Pokemon - the catching, training, battling, travelling, etc. - that interests me more than its current cast of characters and storylines and ultimately at this point my only investment in the show is to see if Ash finally wins a damn league or not. But the reboot itself would have to be more than just a reskin of the current anime - they would need to try new and different things to what they're currently doing, like actually bringing character arcs to a natural conclusion and forming a narrative that doesn't disregard it's own continuity. In other words, it'd have to be a project with a new director and team of writers. It's pointless to do one without new ideas being brought to the table.

I'd also be very okay with a Pokemon rewrite that improved on what's there while eliminating all of the filler but that's an even more remote possibility than a reboot.

Do you guys think that one of the issues in the Pikachu element of the discussion is that the franchise's mascot isn't just any old Pikachu, it is Ikue Ohtani's Pikachu? Her voice is used in all the Pika merch isn't it? It would be weird for the very same Pikachu to be travelling in the anime with anyone other than Satoshi.

Hold on a second. Are you implying that the Anime!Pikachu VA extended her job role to consistently voicing the franchise mascot is the reason to keeping Anime status quo? I don't see the validity of this statement, even it maybe just an assumption.

Besides, when an anime is rebooted, it is unreasonable that the new protagonist will have the character-wise exact same Pikachu possessed by his predecessor (nor, any old pokemons possessed by Ash Ketchum). If Pikachu is really that marketable, they may as well make the new protagonist obtain a new Pikachu of his own. Personally I wouldn't mind even it is voiced also by Ikue Ohtani, as I personally don't think they are the same Pikachu despite they have the same voice. Or alternatively not exactly Pikachu, but Ikue Ohtani can voice any Pikaclone the new protagonist happened to obtained.

All I can say is: Maybe so, maybe not.

I am still neither for nor against such a thing happening. But I'll admit that, unrealistic and impossible as this'll sound, I'd like a future saga written Western-style, or guest-written by a Western writer. That could end up with some interesting results.

I honestly would enjoy a reboot. Seeing another Trainer finally go through the League or Pokédex (or both) would be a nice change.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind another series entirely with its own stories away from Ash and Team Rocket. And I mean something more than Pokémon Chronicles.

I will be bluntly honest: no, I wouldn't like a reboot and I'm sure I may follow the next new protagonist at most before dropping the series, right before the arrival of the third protagonist.

In fact, after reading the many mentioned series, this is precisely what happened during those series, where I have in fact abandoned all of them after the reboot: Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon, Zoids, etc. These are all series that I have abandoned. Why is that? Because, after some time, they became too different and distant from the original concept.

There is nothing wrong in refreshing a formula, mind you. In fact, at times, doing things a bit differently can help make the story more intriguing and renew interest. However, if it isn't done properly and the continuity begins to matter less and less, then the reboot may risk to alienate the older fans, resulting in an actual drop of interest. I know, newer fans may not mind as much since most of them may not know the roots, but I don't think alienating the older fans is the solution. After all, shouldn't the producers aim to get a bigger audience? So why limit themselves to the "rebooted audience" if they can have the interest of both the old and the new generation?

Now, I don't think Ash will be replaced any time soon, just like Super Mario doesn't leave the spot to a potential Super Mario Jr., but rather than have the whole anime completely overthrown or get an expy of the current anime, I'd rather have two Pokémon anime series at the same time, with the original anime being aimed at kids and diehard fans and the other series being a retelling of the games aimed at a more mature and varied audience. I personally think that would be the ideal solution.

Last edited:
Potential reboot could only make me even more excited.

Not the biggest fan of this canon tbh.

I don't actively watch the anime, but thinking about it I think getting rid of Ash would hinder Pokemon as a series in general. Pokemon makes a lot through it's merchandise. The face of Pokemon has been given to Pikachu. Pikachu took his place as mascot, do to his incredible popularity, which is because of the anime. I meet a lot of Pokemon loving kids every day at work, because my store sells quite a bit of Pokemon based merch. When I talk to these kids, the majority started their love of Pokemon through the anime. That's how I started my love of Pokemon. If the anime was to reboot, they would have to give the main trainer a Pikachu, which would feel redundant. If they got rid of Pikachu, the face of Pokemon would be getting less attention. With the loss of of Pikachu, the series could possibly loose a lot of love, and Pokemon could fall. Now it might not happen, Pokemon could find a new face to represent it, but it would never bee the same as it was. I don't want to see them get rid of Ash because I can't stand the though of what would happen if we lost Pikachu.

Not only Pikachu though. The new protag will likely also get super marketable and popular mons, like Charizard and Greninja (Meaning, whats the point).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom