• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would a sudden shiny change your team?

would a sudden shiny change your team?

• YES! come on, it's shiny!

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No, but it's still nice that I caught it

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • maybe, depends on the pokemon and/or its potential

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters

flaming infernape

the ultimate fire primate
Reaction score
Ok, you've just started your game, you've gotten your pokeballs, and are on your way to the first badge. You are suddenly attacked by a wild pokemon, and it's shiny! You successfully catch it and you feel whatever you would feel if you caught one.

Now the question comes. If you already had a planned-out team of pokemon you wanted, would you rearrange it to make room for your super-lucky catch?

For me, I would, and have. Because of two very lucky catches, my FR hall of fame included a shiny Pidgeot and Gengar.

I do that all of the time. When I first found my shiny Shroomish, I had already caught another Shroomish, but I immediatly traded it in for the shiny. Also, when I found my shiny Abra, I added him onto my team. I did this with countless others as well

It would depend on the Pokemon. If it was a Bidoof or something hm slave-like, then no I would just catch it.

Frankly, after I went through all my trouble to train my regular Pokemon, I do not want to just ditch it for some shiny. I got a shiny Zubat, but I still use a regular Crobat because I trained that one up from the beginning of the game.

You have a point. I guess I wouldn't either if I were in the same situation, but if it was reletively near my team level, I would definately consieder a change, even if it is a bidoof or whatever.

It would depend on its Evs or IVs. I had a shiny sableye I caught, but it was not great for battling very much so I never changed my team to include it, and it was lv50 like most of my team when I caught it.

So if it were not that great, I'd catch it, good pokemon, I'd use it in my team. Same as any pokemon really.

How would it possibly depend on its EVs when all wild Pokémon start with an EV count of zero.

For me it depends on where at the game I'm at. I trained a shiny Beedrill in Leaf Green because I caught it as a weedle early on. If it was after I beat the Elite 4, it would depend on whether I like it or not.

Nope. My Pokémon are EV trained. I don't need any of them to be replaced for unnecessary reasons. Besides, we're just talking about alternatively coloured Pokémon. They aren't that big a deal.

Unless you're into being unique, of course.

I have to say, all my shiny catches have been after the E-4, so this has never happened to me. But, if something of the sort did happen...

Hellz yes!

Frankly, after I went through all my trouble to train my regular Pokemon, I do not want to just ditch it for some shiny. I got a shiny Zubat, but I still use a regular Crobat because I trained that one up from the beginning of the game.

Something like that happened to me. On my LG, I had raised a Crobat to around level 70 when a shiny Zubat appeared. I wanted the green Zubat, but I didn't want to abandon my Crobat. The solution: I raised both, but with different movesets. They kicked a$$

Well it would have to depend for me, whether it was a regular shiny of a PokéRadar shiny. If it was a regular 1 in 8192 shiny, then yes, I probably would and if it were a PokéRadar shiny it's probably one I wanted for my team anyways, so...

Yes.

Unless it were something that I really liked, I would probably ship it off to the PC, never to be heard from again except for on message boards when I would proclaim "I have a shiny *Pokémon* in *Version*" in those "How many shinies do you have?" threads.

If it had a good nature or even a decent nature I would use it. For example, my shiny Medicham and Mew are Docile and Mild, respectively, which aren't good natures, but they aren't bad natures either. However, I won't use my shiny Beedrill, Crobat, or Linoone, since their natures are Modest, Calm, and Sassy, respectively.

It would depend on what the Pokemon was. It would have to be the same kind of Pokemon that I use.

Prior to my current restart of Pearl, all my Shinies came after the Elite Four.

Going by just my (currently) shiny Gyarados, I'd say yes. I intended on grabbing a Remoraid for Byron, but when I saw that sparkle, it all changed. :)

I always just save them up for trading......I'd also leave it untouched.

Certainly not.

I put alot of effort into finding the right Pokémon with high IVs, the correct nature, ability and possibly gender. Plus I put alot of effort into getting the correct moves.

Besides, most of the shinies I come across only have average battling ability or lower then average. So I wouldn't consider ditching a perfectly good Pokémon just because something came along that's shiny.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom