• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would it be worth compiling non-filler episodes in the Pokemon Anime?

henrymidfields

Prime Minister of Shoyo 昇陽国内閣総理大臣
Reaction score
I'm thinking about catching up to speed with the Pokemon Anime, but I haven't watched anything after Johto's conclusion. And maybe there's some of us who's thinking about doing the same thing.

I remember there was a thread in Smogon's PokeAni subforum that discussed and compiled filler episodes years ago. Could we do something similar here? Perhaps give us a starting point to jump into, or help us catch up to speed with the story essentials without having to spend hundreds of hours doing a marathon run?

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea but people would need to agree on what makes an episode non-filler. Some are obvious (captures, evolutions, Gym battles, episodes with major rivals, league episodes) but there's some grey areas.
For instance does a game character appearing make an episode non-filler even if it has no impact on the plot? Like when Hoenn's Elite Four Drake appears; the episode doesn't affect anything and only comes up against over a decade later in the most recent series.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea but people would need to agree on what makes an episode non-filler. Some are obvious (captures, evolutions, Gym battles, episodes with major rivals, league episodes) but there's some grey areas.
For instance does a game character appearing make an episode non-filler even if it has no impact on the plot? Like when Hoenn's Elite Four Drake appears; the episode doesn't affect anything and only comes up against over a decade later in the most recent series.
Maybe set it into different tiers:
  • Essential episodes - as you mentioned
    • Captures/Evolutions
    • Gym, League, or Contest battles
    • Episodes with major rivals
    • Any other episodes that gets re-discussed/referenced within the same or the very next seasons
    • Any episodes where non-single-episode-specific characters join or leaves Ash's travelling group
  • Optional Episodes: Any of the following that does not satisfy the tier above
    • Appearances of game characters
    • Episodes that only gets referenced two season arcs after or later
    • Other episodes that may or may not show character development
  • Filler Episodes: Obviously does not satisfy the above two.

Okay, I'll have to confess. Another reason why I'm asking this is this: I'm also thinking about writing an PokeAni-based fanfic at some point in the future, and I'd like to be able to fact-check for consistency. Not to mention, with past characters like Dawn have come up in the current season, I'd want to see relevant past episodes to get the full story about said past characters. In either case, it would help me (and anyone else watching the anime again) having a set of essential episodes to start off.

How about we do something like this?
  • Essential episodes
    • Captures/Evolutions
    • Gym, League, or Contest battles
    • Episodes with major rivals
    • Any other episodes that gets re-discussed/referenced within the same or the very next seasons
    • Any episodes where non-single-episode-specific characters join or leaves Ash's travelling group
  • Optional Episodes: Any of the following that does not satisfy the tier above
    • Appearances of game characters
    • Episodes that only gets referenced two season arcs after or later
    • Other episodes that may or may not show character development
  • Recommended Filler Episodes: Does not satisfy the above two, but recommended by the fansites/forums.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom