• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would the anime be as successful today if they replaced Ash early on?

To someone, Ash Ketchum is the reason they still cling on to the anime despite it consists of many major flaws. But to someone, Ash Ketchum is oppositely the reason they leave the anime and refuse to watch it again (It may include other reason as well. But being the protagonist of the show, he is the representative of the entire anime, of course representing the flaws as well).

So, as many should see in here, the existence of Ash have both the downside and the upside. So by replacing Ash, the outcome would be just like what Darthbane2007 said, it would be a tossup of 50/50 chance of hit or miss. Hence the key factor could changed that winning probability doesn't lie in the sole existence of one fictional character, but lie in the metas such as qualities of scenario-writings/plot-planning/voice-actings/musics/graphics, and most importantly the concern and passion from the producers' side of wanting to produce a good story which truly entertains the audience, rather than simply wanting to produce a marketable show of having the ability to milk out money from the audience.

If the producers side can do like what Dragonball, Naruto or even what Sailormoon had did, take continuity into consideration during plot planning, let the protagonist grow continuously (both physically and mentally), after one challenge the next coming-up new challenge will always be higher level than previously, so not just the protagonist is reach a higher state consecutively, but so as the antagonist, less of CoTD, but make a few selective recurring characters and significantly plot-important characters more outstanding in terms of their existence, such as let them come back for important plots or having a few character-centric episodes, and most importantly!!! Let the characters drive the plot, but not the plot drives the characters. In that case I would agree, letting Ash continue being the sole protagonist of the show would be more successful.

If the animators and scenario-writers can do like what Gundam series and Precure series had did, not just simply replacing protagonist for each saga, but each single protagonists are individual not just simply carboncopy of previous one and not stereotyped based on the first one, each have their own background and own personalities that distinguish themselves from each other, the story plot of each saga are individual not just simply following the same pattern as the first one, and of course extended to the antagonist side as well, each saga will have some new breakthrough which makes each saga significantly different from one another, and most importantly!!! Let the story end at the time where it should had ended according to the planned plot, do not elongate it unnecessarily (especially for the sole reason of it became popular so elongate the show can milk out more money). In this case I would have rather agree, replacing Ash would have make the anime much more successful.

But of course, no one can predict the future, so the above-mentioned best outcome may or may not happened. Back at that old time of 1999~2000, who could have imagined that letting Ash continue being the sole protagonist of the show would results in today's super-flawed anime where that despite many still watches it out of nostalgia, but more than half were in fact watching it on a sour note? In the otherhand, who could guaranteed that by replacing Ash would not result in bad (if not bad, then 'unsuccessful' would be a better word) series anime such as Yu-Gi-Oh, where the new sagas were trying to copy the success of first DM saga, so inadvertently new protagonists and new story are somehow like a bad copy of Yugi and his story, which oppositely alienated the old fans where many were uninterested to watch new series as they knew it would be more or less just like Yugi's story.

So, replacing Ash Ketchum or not is not the sole factor to determine would the Pokemon anime be continuously successful and popular, one need to consider other factors as well.

As a personal opinion, even up to nowadays, I still think (and believe) that replacing Ash with Jimmy at the latest of Orange Islands before Johto would allow Pokemon anime to be continuously successful and popular. At the very least, no more the current super-flawed anime full of plot-holes that will suspend one's suspension of disbelief, and that seemingly never-ending journey with a fixed formula which took away interests of many audience could have a chance of breakthrough. And not yet to mentioned, in fact there are a bunch of current audience watching Pokemon anime for the Pokemon creature, but not Ash Ketchum himself.

From what I saw from Legend of Thunder, the story was a bit more character-centered and plot was rather character-driven, which from narratology POV, is a sign of well-written story. Although I would have also agreed that Jimmy was not as laughably interesting as Ash (simply because he is not an impulsive pighead believed in spirit and friendship conquers everything, but modest and unpretentious where building his skill on plainly accumulating efforts), but I think his interactions with Marina and Vincent was more realistically interesting, a different kind of interesting from the comedic Ash-Misty-Brock group (and including the moronic TRio). If it ever get extended to a full-length anime, I would have high hope in his story, of course not just in his interaction with his friends, but also in his confrontation with the entire Team Rocket organization and most importantly the Rival.

Also unlike long animes that were adapted from long mangas on-going for decades long, and unlike TV-original animes that have no adaption source but yet made out to be decades long from the very start, Pokemon anime has an adaption source, which it was not manga but originated from a game series, where that game series uses different protagonist player (consist of both male and female) for each different generation. So I do not understand what is the problem of replacing Ash Ketchum, as the audience who had ever played the game (even not playing it, but at least know about it a little) would had expected change of casts from the beginning.

Last edited:
I just want to throw a thought experiment out to those who believe that the anime would be less popular had they rotated protagonist every generation. The Pokemon games, unlike some other Nintendo linked franchise rotate protagonist every generation. Certainly, the anime might do far more to attach it's audience to a character than a game (although this is something, that I think can be disputed and contested). However, if we were to apply the same logic to the Pokemon Games, does this suggest that the Pokemon games would have been more popular, had Pokemon been run more along the lines of Zelda or Mario, where instead of Link and Mario starring in almost every game, we have Ash/Red being the same starring protagonist, generation after generation in every main-line game.

Secondly, I would like to suggest that you cannot divorce the popularity of the Anime from the popularity of the video games. While it's certainly likely that both have a two way causality on one another, given the demographics of the Pokemon playerbase vis a vis the anime, I'd suggest that the direction of entrance into the Pokemon franchise is more from Video Games to anime, rather than anime to Video Games. As such, it makes me wonder whether the continued presence of Ash might firstly - alienate those coming in from the video game entrance, especially if there's no game-counter part travelling with Ash - there simply isn't someone to relate to, to put yourself into the shoes of. Furthermore, it also makes me wonder what those coming into the Video Games while being exposed to the anime first actually think when they realize that they are playing a protagonist with no analogy to Ash, nor is there any Ash analogy within any generation ever since Generation II (or Gen IV, if you consider HGSS).

If Pokémon games were to have the same starring protagonist, then what happens to his old Pokémon in the new games? You see, unlike Mario or Zelda or Metroid, Pokémon does not revolve around the protagonist. The real focus are the Pokémon themselves and the team you make. The protagonist, on the other hand, is a featureless avatar that a player would put his or her shoes in to be immersed in the world of Pokémon. Because of this, it is far more easy to simply have a new protagonist avatar as oppose to using the same over and over and not ask questions about his past adventures (especially since Red does not have the access to reincarnation like Link and Zelda do).

As for your second point, Ash's presence is a grandfather's clause. He comes from a time where the anime was the dominant face of Pokémon, surpassing the games by a long shot. Those of my generation are more likely to remember the adventures of Ash, Misty, and Brock traveling across the world, meeting new Pokémon, and defeating Team Rocket than of the video games. Only recent days has the games ellipses the anime in terms of popularity, but Ash is still a recognizable protagonist to this day (and heck, his game incarnation Red is doing fine with the game audience despite being playable in only two generations). Not to mention that Ash has a distinguishable personality from the beginning (unlike the avatar trainer in the games), and thus in theory can still be relatable to audiences of newer generations in the same vein as Mario or Spiderman. Of course, it depends on how he's handled.

For me, I came into the video games in Generation IV, long after I've gotten into Pokémon through the anime. My first game was Diamond and it was not a surprise that the male protagonist is not Ash. On contrary, I was more surprised to see Ash (or Red as he is now known) in the games when I first watch someone play Pokémon on a Gameboy.

Prolly would've been more successful if they replaced Ash. Now, I can tolerate him but there was a time that I wanted him to piss off. There's also that dynamic. When you write a character to fail over and over again and "reset" his brain, it is more than just wanting a change for the sake of change now...

I would also say the anime was bigger than Ash Ketchum...

Ash Ketchum IS the Anime.

Weather you like him or not, Ash and his Pikachu are the mascots of the Pokemon franchise. You see Ash on a lot of pokemon products that aren't anime related, and they even made a game based on Ash (Pokemon Yellow).

Team Rocket are the problems. Either they need to make TR more useful (Like they did for part of the Unova season), or replace them.

After recollecting my thoughts on this subject again, i think better question would be. Would pokemon anime be more succesful if branch of pokemon company responsible for its production had more courage to try out new ideas with same characters such as Ash?

Take main protagonist through deeper character development exploring on its past, personality and review of its own journey.
Treated this show as continuity based story which builds on itself over long period of time. Where learned experiences from past and knowledge transfer to new generation as opposed to resets we dealt with over past several years. Where traveling companions have chance to be fleshed out to satisfying degree remaining relevant in series(either staying or having recurring role) rather than replaced, unfinished and abandoned like they had no impact at all.

Not let plots go to waste making something of them allowing for more exciting and thrilling environment in which narration of characters and journey takes place. Etc.

Because by fixing this issues, any negativity and detest one part of fandom feels toward Ash would be either gone or decreased making him compelling character to wider group of people than he was/is in reality.

At end of the day Ash is fictional character. Non existent animated creation(based on Red, but still having distinct features attributive just to him) whose actions are controlled by scripts and direction in which they wish to take their product.

Thus not being accountable in my eyes for poor writing or eventual lack of direction in which pokemon story as whole is set within.

Granted i can understand that its in human nature(irratioinal part of our brain and processing of things) to take frustration on fictional character and everything they may have been disappointed about anime so far associating it with "bad writing". However one must realize how our own perception about something does not transfer to anyone else and no matter how vocal some may be. They dont necessarily reflect general consensus about fandom over said subject(if there is any consensus at all).

What i do know is that Ash long existence regardless of how his journey, development, following and continuity has been handled in anime so far. Left personal stamp on pokemon series, perpetuating his own existence within it.

To the point of becoming icon which represents anime with who people would associate it. Set up foundations to create brand around itself by having character to who people could grow attached to, want to stay tuned in anime to see him grow, explore on characterization and advance career forward until things come to conclusion. Developed loyalty among viewers and eagerness to stick within show and spread their experiences to wider group of fans(because if there wasnt any truth in it, we older fans wouldn't be still around watching it).

Which may have played factor why this anime even survived for so long due to sense of balance and security existence of stable protagonist/hero can provide on table.Despite all disappointments, let downs and questionable sometime good, but bad as well decisions executed by poke staff.

Now following exact same character for 20 years caused substantial amount of fans to grow sick of him. Being hard to maintain audience interest toward same main star if there are no gripping storylines or creative character development.

But personally i can understand and appreciate from their side decision to keep Ash as permanent hero because i don't think i would have stayed in pokemon interested and i firmly have doubts that it would ever became this popular if it was treated as one of those one time trick series which constantly reboots itself after few years following basically same concept but with different cast.

Especially when Ash as character had/still hasmassive potential in his character and premise around which story revolves.

Bringing me to point how there is no guarantee in new protagonist taking Ash place, completely new cast, storyline and setting cutting all ties to previous series. With no legacy aor identity present around themselves would create better results than Ash stay did. Not if theres no incentive to break status quo in which existing anime series, Ash character and atmosphere is set in either.

Conclusive evidence of what kind of long term consequences Ash departure and complete revamp could cause cannot be said with 100% certainty. Because i could be wrong and Ash early departure may have worked.

But just like there exists franchise incarnations which constantly reboot being successful. There exist many examples where replacing whole cast and universe in which story takes place only alienated fans losing respect for writers and any intererst they might have(prime examples being Yugioh, Beyblade, Digimon depending on generation etc ). Either becoming shadow of former glory or just plummeted failing to ever step out of shadow of original casts and roots of those respective franchise.

As several examples of other franchises going back to its roots to regain popularity shows. Such as remake of Sailor Moon, Yugioh movies focusing on original series characters(Yugi and Kaiba)as announced release for 15th anniversary will contain. Digimon doing brand new series through sequel of original cast from Digimon adventure in their teen years going in new adventures.Etc.

Leaving such impact on its audience and personal signature, that even several years afterwards very frst main stars still enjoys biggest support.

Something which is noticeable with pokemon as well, due to highest demand existing exactly for original cast reunion. With anime often being primarily connected to very first cast(especially Ash).

Representing potential danger of new series with new protagonist instead of Ash, other characters people grew to adore and timeline they got accustomed to collapsing.

Risk if i was writer would think twice before making. Especially during pokemon heyday when popularity was grossly huge(outpacing competition of many similaar prpducts in terms of globalization and recognition) with people being much more attached and affiliated with protagonists than it may seem to be case now.

As Brock leaving for Orange Islands proves resulting in fandom repercussions about Japan being racist for replacing his character.

Misty departure causing huge backlash among fandom being disappointed by abrupt departure with unfinished stoiry, relation with Ash, her fears and likable personality with many quitting anime.
Etc.

So to replace Ash early on who had i dont think im exaggerating by saying higher popularity than this two combined was definitely not risk which could be overlooked just like that.

I don't think the Pokemon anime wouldn't be as successful over the years. I think many have been endeared with Ash and Pikachu. I believe they make the best duo.

Tropes are Tools. Replacing the main protagonist is a good thing only when it makes things better and the replacement is good even when not being compared to his/her predecessor. Take Yu-Gi-Oh for instance where Yusei turned out well while they royally screwed up when they made Yuma.

If they end the anime on a good note with closure for Ash's story and start anew with a character like Alain then it would be fine but if it was someone like Cameron then we're screwed.

Tropes are Tools. Replacing the main protagonist is a good thing only when it makes things better and the replacement is good even when not being compared to his/her predecessor. Take Yu-Gi-Oh for instance where Yusei turned out well while they royally screwed up when they made Yuma.

If they end the anime on a good note with closure for Ash's story and start anew with a character like Alain then it would be fine but if it was someone like Cameron then we're screwed.

If it was how Best Wishes was written, then we're screwed even with Alain (he doesn't even deserve to act according to a horrible plot like that D: ) But I don't think replacing Ash with someone like Alain would have helped anyways. Alain appeals to the viewers because 1) he's older, mature, experienced, and serious 2) he's an attractive teenager with an interesting backstory 3) he's starring in the special side stories, which are more action packed and compact. If we were to see Alain on his quest as the main Pokemon series, we would either see a more serious version of a pokemon trainer's journey dragging on for 200+ episodes with a bunch of unnecessary fillers that are either a hit or a miss and complain about Alain like people do about Ash anyways, or get a compact 24 episode epic and see the end of the series early.

Last edited:
If it was how Best Wishes was written, then we're screwed even with Alain (he doesn't even deserve to act according to a horrible plot like that D: ) But I don't think replacing Ash with someone like Alain would have helped anyways. Alain appeals to the viewers because 1) he's older, mature, experienced, and serious 2) he's an attractive teenager with an interesting backstory 3) he's starring in the special side stories, which are more action packed and compact. If we were to see Alain on his quest as the main Pokemon series, we would either see a more serious version of a pokemon trainer's journey dragging on for 200+ episodes with a bunch of unnecessary fillers that are either a hit or a miss and complain about Alain like people do about Ash anyways, or get a compact 24 episode epic and see the end of the series early.

It was pretty much the Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal of Pokemon. A classic example of how change doesn't always make things better. To me I would see a series starring Alain having episode titles like the special manga with the chapters being VS (insert opponent) since Alain aims to beat every mega in existence. Though with new generations always being in the woodwork his journey will never end if more megas keep getting made.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, my views on whether Ash should remain is mixed. Frankly, I'd prefer that he remain for the time being, now that the games have overtaken the anime in popularity. Besides, the X & Y anime has gotten awesome and a tiny bit more "mature", especially after the recent captures of Luxio and Goomy, and their evolutions (plus Serena's new character design and her Fennekin evolving). Best Wishes was a nightmare that made us beg for a new protagonist, but we're getting better now.

Personally, it's the merchandise (other than the games and manga) that's the problem. Before Best Wishes, 99% of it was anime based. If they do a more neutral theme in merchandise, then maybe Ash would have better respect.

Probably would be. Pokemon is a brand name, slap it onto anything and it will sell regardless of what is being sold. Ash isn't in the games and they still sell millions.

Personally, it's the merchandise (other than the games and manga) that's the problem. Before Best Wishes, 99% of it was anime based. If they do a more neutral theme in merchandise, then maybe Ash would have better respect.

Was the Pokemon merchandise anime-based before BW? I think they shifted to game-based starting from AG/GenIII time, or maybe even starting from Johto/GenII time.
No, more correctly speaking it should be Pokemon-character-based. Except TCG cards which is a category on its own, 90% of the plushies, toys and merchandise sell in Japan Pokemon Center(s) were based on the Pokemon species themselves, not really a specific Pokemon used by a specific character in the anime nor in the game.

Was the Pokemon merchandise anime-based before BW? I think they shifted to game-based starting from AG/GenIII time, or maybe even starting from Johto/GenII time.
No, more correctly speaking it should be Pokemon-character-based. Except TCG cards which is a category on its own, 90% of the plushies, toys and merchandise sell in Japan Pokemon Center(s) were based on the Pokemon species themselves, not really a specific Pokemon used by a specific character in the anime nor in the game.

That's Japan. They've got plenty of Pokémon canons there to justify the merchandise. In the West, the merchandise was anime-based because the anime was too well-known, and kids asked for stuff relating to the anime rather than the games. And IIRC, merchandise was still anime-based during Generation IV, but began to shift to games following the release of Platinum. But merchandise isn't as big now, and here in Australia, they only sell in video game stores and Japanese-themed shops.

I just feel like Ash's character is developing more in XY then in any of the previous seasons. Also I'd be sad to see Ash leave, I grew up with seeing him it would be weird seeing another main protagonist.

I think it can be even more successful than having Ash. People keep complaining that they are bored with Ash, and look at the Mega Evolution Acts-- they don't have Ash but seems to be quite well received.
I think as long as they have Pikachu somewhere, not having Ash is not a problem at all.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom