• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you be interested in a NFE-Pokémon-only game or game mode?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I was thinking... Would you guys be interested in a Pokémon game that follows the exact same base structure of the main series games (beat gyms, defeat villain team, challenge Pokémon League), but with first (and maybe middle) stage evolutions only?

I was thinking it could be something like Pokémon Let's Go: a separate main series branch. Or alternatively, (like Unown Seer suggested) this could be a game mode in the Let's Go series instead of a separate branch.

Would you be interested in such a game or game mode? Which NFE Pokémon would you like to use?

Last edited:
I'd like to have that as an optional mode in the Let's Go series (that is, making the opponents follow the same rule), but I've never tried it in the games we have now. I'm playing Stadium 2 now and Little Cup should be fun.

I'd like to have that as an optional mode in the Let's Go series (that is, making the opponents follow the same rule)
Instead of creating a third core series line, I would have preferred if such feature was provided by certain items or such to let the Pokémon have the stats of its evolution when it reaches to a certain level.
I really WANT these now. C'mon Game Freak!

Last edited:
I'd like it and use it, as I have lots of Pokemon in which I prefer the basic or second stage to the final stage. However I don't have any hopes for that as it doesn't seem like a priority for them, even though it has been shown to "work" in all series of the anime.

I did used Phanpy in an Emerald run, and he was stronger than you'd think. If you overlevel a bit and give it an Everstone to your unevolved Pokemon you will be fine by most of the run. Not applicable to games without held items. :sneaky:

Here is my ideal team of first stage Pokémon:

Gastly
Cyndaquil
Pichu
Gible
Totodile
Spinarak

What first stage Pokémon would you guys use?

Last edited:
I wish it weren't just first stage because I prefer Clefairy to Cleffa - the babies!!! lol

But a format that would make Teddiursa viable immediately gets my attention. I wonder if he would work the same way as Phanpy in Nicolas721's playthrough.

I'd like to keep it to at least middle stage evolutions, since there are a lot of them I'd like to use, for the first stages... not so many.

You can't really have both as it would defeat the purpose of leveling out the play field. They would need to be separated.

The likes of Scyther and Murkrow could be in the second stage category as they definitely fit the mould.

I wish it weren't just first stage because I prefer Clefairy to Cleffa - the babies!!! lol

But a format that would make Teddiursa viable immediately gets my attention. I wonder if he would work the same way as Phanpy in Nicolas721's playthrough.

It has a decent Attack of 80, learns Trash by leveling up and Earthquake, Brick Break, Aerial Ace and Rock Slide via TM in Gen VII, and it has similar moves in the other generations. You should be fine in a normal playthrough. :D Metagame wise I don't really know.

There's competitive tier "Little cup" based around level 5 unevolved Pokémon only. I haven't really played it too much but it could be interesting, I guess. Playing through a main series game with only NFE Pokémon could be interesting as an extra challenge, but I feel like making an entire game where you have to do that would be pretty obnoxious.

So I thought about the Pokémon whose base stage appeals to me...

My team would be (if we're talking all Generations available)

Pichu/Pikachu
Eevee
Starly
Honedge
Larvesta
Zorua

I'd probably go with...

Magnemite
Krabby
Tangela
Snorunt
Sandile
Swirlix

Just to use Pokémon I like without a bunch of type overlap. Probably wouldn't be a great team lol

Here are some more first stage Pokémon I would like to use: Bulbasaur, Abra, Omanyte, Elekid, Magby, Treecko, Mudkip, Starly, Sandile, Joltik.

But my ideal team remains: Gastly, Cyndaquil, Gible, Pichu, Spinarak and Totodile.

Last edited:
I think that would be a great new challenge type run to do... I mean I already have a Nuzlocke, Wonderlocke, Monotype, and Gift/Trade (A run where you can only use in-game gift and in-game trade pokemon on your team) runs I'm currently doing in Platinum, Y, Black, and Crystal respectively and a non-fully evolved run would be great for a RSE/ORAS run.

I don't typically like unevolved Pokemon as much as the evolved ones, but I'd like to use:
Rhyhorn
Dratini
Totodile
Shinx
Hoothoot
Mienfoo (shiny)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom