• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you be satisfied if in Legends: Arceus, you fight the titular Pokemon in a new form...

Does this sound good to you?

• Total voters
I wonder if Zacian can dethrone Mega Rayquaza?

I understand that they are presently on equal footing in terms of Showdown singles, both being the sole residents of the Anything Goes format as a result of sheer power. Though they're both horrifically powerful, Mega Rayquaza seems to be slightly more suited to setting up using either Swords Dance or Dragon Dance, while Zacian has the speed and immediate power to go in for the kill off the bat. The former also has slightly more flexibility in terms of being able to choose an item, notably Choice Scarf.

Last edited:
But it's like, I can quote Cynthia's bonus dialogue about ancient humans being "shaken to the core by power they couldn't understand" until the moon turns to dust, but it's never going to overcome the more popular notion in fandom of Arceus as the Ultimate Supreme Pokémon that Definitely Created the Universe. Personally, I rather like the idea that there's this really strong and elegant-looking creature that undeniably has some power to create life in specific settings, but is that the extent of it, and did people of old times merely extrapolate their own meaning from that, or are we really only witnessing a fraction of its true power? Even Arceus's stats and the type-changing mechanic feel surprisingly low-key to me, because wouldn't you expect "PokéGod" to be utterly unstoppable and overpowered? Instead, it's definitely strong, but it's stats are just well-rounded across the board (a next-step-up from the likes of Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, etc.), and the Multitype mechanic is a technical illustration of its universality rather than being the Pokémon equivalent of something like Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Exodia, an instant-win condition. It's not like it's "all types at once" or "super-effective against everything" or something blatantly extreme like that. Instead, it's like, "Here, you can use up your item slot to have a really strong Ice STAB." To me it feels just a slight notch above Mew's "can learn every move" and "can use Transform to take the shape of every other Pokémon" aspects.
I once read a TV Tropes Wild Mass Guess (extremely out there theories) with something along these lines. It suggested that Arceus does have general creation powers, but that’s as far as its “divine” powers can actually go; it creates, but it isn’t omnipotent.

It's also stated the reason Cyrus needed the Red Chain was because catching Dialga and Palkia in Poke Balls would prevent them from fully utilizing their time-space powers, so for all we know, that applies to Arceus as well.

I think the new form should have lower stats and an alternate ability. I think keeping the form in the 700s in terms of stat should be a good start, can be usable by the player, and the boss spot can just be filled by some kind of non-Pokemon creature that you can't catch. I was a little bit disappointed that Ultra Beasts were catchable because they would've been great for individual non-usable Pokemon, not having another Pokemon's form ruined just for the sake of a boss battle.

This is not even an answer to the question posted by the OP, i just think making basically God catchable or even just being able to see it was a bad idea. It greatly diminishes its mystique and aura when you can just casually catch it and make it obey your every command.

Of course this argument can be directed at other pokemon, specially the Creation Trio, but i think when it gets to God, that maybe should be where it needs to stop. There's also the argument that Arceus might not be all powerful, hence why it can be even caught and used in battle by someone, and maybe that would help me be fine with it. I would like if this game would actually give some concrete info about it, but i guess the ambiguity of it is the point.

I do like its design though, and the fact it can follow you in HGSS is always hilarious.

Maybe the game will explain the whole Arceus = god thing.

Like the game acknowledges (in cut content, mind you) that there's more than one Arceus in the pokemon world. Maybe it's just a very rare breed of pokemon with mystical powers beyond human comprehension and whoever built the ruins started to worship it as a god when it's not really God itself.

Maybe the game will explain the whole Arceus = god thing.

Like the game acknowledges (in cut content, mind you) that there's more than one Arceus in the pokemon world. Maybe it's just a very rare breed of pokemon with mystical powers beyond human comprehension and whoever built the ruins started to worship it as a god when it's not really God itself.
That makes sense. It's not a god, but ancient humans worshiped it and called it a god.

The Ruins of Alph clan understood all too well that Arceus was merely a figment of the Unown's imagination, but the Spear Pillar folks were in denial.

I'd probably prefer some sort of battling gimmick over a new form. Maybe something like Totem battles, where Arceus summons allies to fight/support, or you have to fight all eighteen forms in succession, and each battle has a gimmick (Grassy Terrain for Grass!Arceus, you start with Bad Poison at the start of the battle with Poison!Arceus, etc.). Then again, this would depend on whether or not the battle system in Legends is different for other core series games.

I think the new form should have lower stats and an alternate ability. I think keeping the form in the 700s in terms of stat should be a good start, can be usable by the player, and the boss spot can just be filled by some kind of non-Pokemon creature that you can't catch. I was a little bit disappointed that Ultra Beasts were catchable because they would've been great for individual non-usable Pokemon, not having another Pokemon's form ruined just for the sake of a boss battle.
Still think it would be interesting to fight a boss with heavy stats.

I see no reason why arceus can't be the god Pokemon just because you can catch it. Its not the first time an rpg has had you kill (in this case catch) a God. You can justify it as arceus acknowledging you and wanting to join you on your journey for awhile. We even saw Arceus on screen create life in the sinjoh ruins( not just any life either a legendary Pokemon that controls time space or antimatter) you can't unwrite that.

I see no reason why arceus can't be the god Pokemon just because you can catch it. Its not the first time an rpg has had you kill (in this case catch) a God. You can justify it as arceus acknowledging you and wanting to join you on your journey for awhile. We even saw Arceus on screen create life in the sinjoh ruins( not just any life either a legendary Pokemon that controls time space or antimatter) you can't unwrite that.
This, plus there are plenty of reasons to actually limit the power of a god whenever anger of said god sets in.

If anything, fighting Arceus without a new form would be uncreative since everything would be the same as in the DS games.

But here is the thing: It has to be the same as in the DS games, unless BDSP explains why the new forms of LA doesn't exist anymore (Which the games won't do, since they come out before LA, and they aren't gonna spoil LA in BDSP).

For this reason alone, Arceus having a new form in LA makes no sense, unless its explained in-universe it lost the form (In the same game no less, since you can't explain it in the OG's or the remake), which makes the new form pointless, if it loses it in the same game.

But here is the thing: It has to be the same as in the DS games, unless BDSP explains why the new forms of LA doesn't exist anymore (Which the games won't do, since they come out before LA, and they aren't gonna spoil LA in BDSP).

For this reason alone, Arceus having a new form in LA makes no sense, unless its explained in-universe it lost the form (In the same game no less, since you can't explain it in the OG's or the remake), which makes the new form pointless, if it loses it in the same game.
They can't spoil it but they can tease it. Say you find a book in canalave library that vaguely hints at a Pokemon more powerful than arceus only for it to be arceus but with its form that was lost to time.

If anything, fighting Arceus without a new form would be uncreative since everything would be the same as in the DS games.
Not really considering that the battle mechanics are somehow different. Given the apparent lack of abilities, they are going to incorporate Multitype in another way, possibly by having Arceus move around and switch plates during the battle. It could be fun and less cheap than slapping a new form onto it just because fans expect that.

Arceus randomly having a new form would be pretty typical for Game Freak, though. These are the people that use the multiverse as an excuse for every retcon. I am not very optimistic about this game not contradicting anything from the DS games (including the Sinjoh Ruins), considering that I never once got the impression that Sinnoh was mostly barren as recently as (around) 200 years ago.

Last edited:
How about just a combination of all the plates that grants Arceus every type? Lockstin & Gnoggin did a video on this and came up with the following type effectiveness chart:

Immune: Normal, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Ghost, Electric, Psychic, Dragon
4x Resist: Grass, Bug
Resist: Steel, Dark
Normal: Flying, Fire, Water, Ice
Weak: Rock, Fairy

Pretty OP and fitting for the God of Pokemon, but not unbeatable or insanely crazy, he can still be reliably hurt by a third of the types in the game, it just gives him that certain Godly aura about him. Basically, bring a Mega Diancie if you want to defeat a God.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom