• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you buy a Nintendo Wii U Pokemon RPG?

Wii Pokemon RPG?

• Yay

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
If it it were like the Orre games and dropped silly badge quest, then yeah it would definitely get me interested in a Wii U. I wouldn't buy a Game Freak developed console Pokemon game though. I've found myself tired of Game Freak's reliance on the same old formula and their steadfast refusal to change it. They're at a point where it doesn't matter if the games don't sell as well. They've already made a fortune over the past 19 years. They can afford to change up the formula.

I think removing the badge quest from Pokemon main series games would be like removing the guns from a first person shooter. It's possible, but then it's not really the same game.

No, it really isn't the same thing. Guns are a defining gameplay element, without them the gameplay wouldn't really work (or at least be harder to justify). But badges? Not so much. The core part of the formula is exploring and battling, those are the things that every Pokemon game needs to have to be a Pokemon game. The badge quest is merely a tradition that Game Freak perpetuates, it's not a natural part of the gameplay. A Pokemon game can still be a Pokemon game without badges.

If it it were like the Orre games and dropped silly badge quest, then yeah it would definitely get me interested in a Wii U. I wouldn't buy a Game Freak developed console Pokemon game though. I've found myself tired of Game Freak's reliance on the same old formula and their steadfast refusal to change it. They're at a point where it doesn't matter if the games don't sell as well. They've already made a fortune over the past 19 years. They can afford to change up the formula.

I think removing the badge quest from Pokemon main series games would be like removing the guns from a first person shooter. It's possible, but then it's not really the same game.

No, it really isn't the same thing. Guns are a defining gameplay element, without them the gameplay wouldn't really work (or at least be harder to justify). But badges? Not so much. The core part of the formula is exploring and battling, those are the things that every Pokemon game needs to have to be a Pokemon game. The badge quest is merely a tradition that Game Freak perpetuates, it's not a natural part of the gameplay. A Pokemon game can still be a Pokemon game without badges.

Yes, it can. But the badge quest is a defining point of the main series games. If we are talking about bringing the main series to home console instead of just 3DS, then it needs the badge quest.

But, none of the side series games have the badge quest... Mystery Dungeon might make a good home console rpg.

Yes, it can. But the badge quest is a defining point of the main series games. If we are talking about bringing the main series to home console instead of just 3DS, then it needs the badge quest.

But, none of the side series games have the badge quest... Mystery Dungeon might make a good home console rpg.

You're missing the point. The badge quest isn't a necessary part of the gameplay formula, it's simply there out of tradition. You can remove the badges and it can still stick to the same gameplay style, so that's not really a defining gameplay element. The main series is more defined by its exploration and battle mechanics, not some artificial system of progression.

You're missing the point. The badge quest isn't a necessary part of the gameplay formula, it's simply there out of tradition. You can remove the badges and it can still stick to the same gameplay style, so that's not really a defining gameplay element. The main series is more defined by its exploration and battle mechanics, not some artificial system of progression.

The badge quest IS a necessary part of the main series. Get starter, travel the region collecting eight badges, battle an evil team - all of which have no style, battle the league and complete the pokemon. Those are the elements that define a main series game, just as cars define a Need for Speed game.

That said, i would like to see a choice as to how to progress. Travel the region collecting eight badges... or eight ribbons. Like badges, ribbons would unlock obedience, field HMs, and move the story on. When you collect 8 of one or 8 of the other, you can challenge the league or the grand festival (or both if you collect all 16).

But without the badge quest, it's not really a main series game anymore.

The badge quest IS a necessary part of the main series. Get starter, travel the region collecting eight badges, battle an evil team - all of which have no style, battle the league and complete the pokemon.

Then how do Colosseum and XD exist? They have the same gameplay style, and yet there's no badges. Badges are only there because Game Freak said they need to be there, aside from that there's no other reason for their existence. You can design a Pokemon game and not put badges in, you can gauge a player's progress in ways besides how many badges they earn, and they can easily be written out of the storyline (in fact, they don't play into the storyline much to begin with). All of these things you brought up are things that Game Freak decided that the series should have, not things that are necessary for the gameplay to work.

Those are the elements that define a main series game, just as cars define a Need for Speed game.

Again, that's not an accurate analogy. A car racing game wouldn't work without cars to drive, but a Pokemon game can still play similarly without badges.

While I don't see the Gyms and Badges ever EVER going away for the main series handhelds, it is possible to substitute it for a different yet similar setup. Take Mt. Battle in Colosseum and XD, for instance. Both games share the same turn-based gameplay style of the main handhelds, you have a typical team of 6 that you can level up to become stronger, you can teach them moves like you would in the main series, they have a Pokémon Center and Mart, ect. Only differences between Colosseum/XD and the main handhelds is that Mt. Battle replaces the Gyms/League formula, and the method of catching your 'mons. So in a sense, Colosseum and XD are considered part of the main series. And putting it bluntly, I feel that the fans who insist otherwise are stubbornly refusing to have an open-minded view of it.

So in a sense, Colosseum and XD are considered part of the main series. And putting it bluntly, I feel that the fans who insist otherwise are stubbornly refusing to have an open-minded view of it.

Colosseum and XD are side series games. they weren't even developed by Game Freak.

Core series - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Part of: Generation III side series

Yes! My friend and I were just recently talking about something like that. He was leaning more toward another Pokemon Stadium (which I think is redundant, considering we basically have a Pokemon Stadium for 3DS) and I was more in favor of an RPG. I like the idea of another, less restrictive, more open-world Colosseum/XD, but I DO NOT want some spin-off RPG like Conquest. If they could reinvent Kanto with a different story in a Wii U Graphic-ed RPG, I would play the crap out of that thing. Imagine a totally 3rd person Console-Zelda-esque 3D Pokemon world. How awesome would that be? Thank you.

TEMMEC

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom