• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you buy a Nintendo Wii U Pokemon RPG?

Wii Pokemon RPG?

• Yay

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Jackygamer91

Reaction score
A game similar to Pokemon XY and the rest of the RPGs on handheld but with better graphics (PS4, PC etc level) and third person instead of overhead.

I would buy a Wii-U just for this game. Even if it was more similar to Colosseum and XD in terms of game mechanics, I still would.

I don't own a Wii U, unfortunately. I might consider purchasing one, but only if the RPG was identical in design to those on the handheld. I won't bother with another Colosseum or XD.

Nope. As I don't have a Wii U, I'm not open to spending the money on the console + game itself just for some pretty graphics. If they were to change the formula/mechanics, then perhaps I'd be a bit more lenient on spending a lot of money.

I might consider purchasing one, but only if the RPG was identical in design to those on the handheld. I won't bother with another Colosseum or XD.
Identical? I understand wanting an open world, but do we really need to see more of the same formula with prettier graphics?

I might consider purchasing one, but only if the RPG was identical in design to those on the handheld. I won't bother with another Colosseum or XD.
Identical? I understand wanting an open world, but do we really need to see more of the same formula with prettier graphics?

That wouldn't be the smart move anyway since it would cannibalize sales of the handheld games. If they're going to go for a console RPG it should have similar gameplay in a different style, like what Colosseum/XD did.

I'd be up for an enhanced version of that formula that has more Pokemon and more areas to explore. If they can make open world work, that'd be great as well.

If Nintendo do anything to do with Pokemon on the Wii U, it’ll be to release older games on the Virtual Console to test the waters. Minimum effort, maximum return. They should gauge the demand for those rereleases as to whether it’s worth bringing the IP to a console that, according to Nintendo is expected to sell 3.6m over the course of the financial year.

Last edited:
Probably not, setting aside that I don't own a wiiu. I would want much much more from a game than "like the handhelds but with better graphics" and I also don't really want the common "add more regions/region specific things" because that'd just end with a really bloated grind of a game.

Now if they made a game that was focused on something different in some way or another from the main franchise, that doesn't feel like a mini game or a bunch of mini games packed together and does a good job at it I might buy something like that. Unfortunately most of their console titles don't meet those requirements (I feel many of the pokemon console games are just feel cheaply/lazily done to in comparison to their main titles)

I think I'm super biased in this department though. Rogue-like, Strategy, Puzzle, and RPG are all genre's of game I'd rather play on a handheld (or the PC). I don't typically find "better graphics" to be a very big motivator, even for a franchise I love as much as pokemon.

This'll need more going for it than better graphics. As far as I'm concerned, that's just some really pretty icing on the cake; there needs to be more to it than that. Like @Bolt the Cat said, I'd like something like XD or Colosseum, where the gameplay and overall feel of the game is pretty different from the handhelds. Give a player a limited amount of Pokemon and have nothing but double battles... this formula made those two unique and a bit challenging.

Still, if I was going to buy an entire system, I'd need more than one reason to do it. Even if the Pokemon game was good, I probably wouldn't get a Wii U just for it. There isn't much on that console that interests me.

Hell yeah, I would. Sounds great. Something at least as big as Colosseum/XD, with some Battle Revolution/Stadium gameplay options too.

Well, no. Not necessarily identical. But close enough. I think the formula is tried and true and although the general progression of the main series games can get dry at times, it's what Pokemon is. I'm not saying that some more creativity wouldn't be appreciated, but I'm by no means upset with what we have.

I should have asked for a much, much stronger story in an RPG on the WiiU. Ideally it would be a game with an 8 Gym Badge progression, but mixed in are plenty of other tasks and mini-games and the like. That's all I'm looking for, to be completely honest. I have less time now than I used to, so naturally I'm less picky.

I guess when it comes to a Pokemon RPG, it could mean either something like the main handhelds or Colosseum/XD, because both are classified as RPGs I guess.

What I would really want for a Wii U RPG is a game that's based on the ReBURST manga. I've probably said that a few times before, but I think it would be awesome. Fuse with your favorite 'mon and be like some sort of Poke-superhero? Sign me up. I would honestly take that over a Pokken game, that's just how I feel.

I'm certain it was stated before that a console Pokemon main title was never considered because Nintendo's handhelds just seem to always grab more sales and attention. That's where I really love the idea of a console RPG for Pokemon - it can be taken in any new direction because it's much more experimental and isn't restricted to the same conventions tied so closely to the main games.

I'd probably play it. I loved Colosseum and XD.

Kanto Warriors

Run around the region as you favorite Pokemon defeating hordes of Team Rocket grunts who are trying to capture your commander. AKA Pikachu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a serious note though, I always liked the idea of having a closed arena Pokemon game where you actually control your Pokemon. I mean, you see so many off-the-wall wins in the anime why not make the games like that? [emoji14]
I would be the most monstrous Caterpie you ever had the horror of facing.

Well, I'm so close to buying a WiiU for Smash alone, so if there was anything Pokemon WiiU related in sight I'd probably have one already, even if it gets released sometime in 2016.

Well, I'm so close to buying a WiiU for Smash alone, so if there was anything Pokemon WiiU related in sight I'd probably have one already, even if it gets released sometime in 2016.
Pokkén will almost certainly have a Wii U version by next year.

It would be nice to have anything where you can hook up your handheld game to a console game. Oh, how I long for a Stadium-esque game, though an RPG game like Colosseum would be nice, too. If it had both Colosseum and Stadium combined... le sigh... I can dream. ^^

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom