• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you consider yourself a happy person?

Freesia

At your service~
Reaction score
Would you consider yourself a happy person? Are you satisfied with your life the way it is currently? Do you worry about the future and if so, does it impact your life now? Speaking for me I'd consider myself pretty happy. I have a family, friends, and hobbies, but sometimes when I'm bored and there's nothing to do I get a little sad and start having negative feelings about myself. Overall though I would say that I am pretty happy most of the time.

As much as I want to be a happy person, the reality is I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to have a loving family and great friends. But since I've moved out of my home state, things haven't really gone too well. Nothing world shattering or tragic, but I've kinda been trapped in some kind of existential crisis, like nothing I do, no matter how hard I try, will ever amount to anything when I'm older, and I'll never be the person society wants me to be. Discussion of the future scares me, because I want to be a writer or a mangaka, but my writing skills aren't exactly polished despite years of writing, I have no idea how to go about publishing, and my art skills are sloppy at best. Plus, I've been job hunting since January and I've gone through 8 interviews, but I haven't been hired. I feel so bad, like I should know how to drive, cook, own a house, know about mortgage, or have a job by now, and I'm 23 years old! I know my parents aren't going to be around forever, and the thought of them suddenly dying and leaving me behind terrifies me to no end. Plus, I didn't make any friends at my old school, and my friends are still in my old home state, living their own lives, and since I live so far away, I can't be with them as much as I want to. I haven't seen some of them in years, even though we still communicate on Facebook. But it feels so much better when its in person.

So...yeah, I try to be happy, but my not-so-ideal life circumstances kind of prevent me from seeing the positives in life.

*sigh* This is a difficult question for me. As someone who has both borderline personality disorder and schizoaffective disorder it is extremely difficult for me to self-regulate my emotions, thus making it so any little thing can become a "catastrophe," and my happiness level can vary wildly from one minute to the next.

Right now I'm super-stressed out over classes starting tomorrow. I'm taking six really hard courses and my only support system is my boyfriend and he's currently doing his mandatory military service back in Korea so I'm basically having to rely on my non-existant self-regulation lolcat. Being stressed makes me say things that sound like I'm suicidal even though I'm really not. Of course, I'm only thinking those things, so it's not like I'm telling anyone that I feel that way so I'm not doing it for attention. Self-regulation means when one little thing goes wrong you can accurately assess that it's just one little small insignificant thing. Lacking it means one little thing ends up in a giant cascade of how everything has gone wrong, is going wrong, and will always go wrong forever aaaahhhhh. But I know that I am a capable person and a smart person and fuck that noise, I am going to murder this semester and come out on top (I'm also stubborn as hell so I guess that helps a lot).

In general though, I think I'm pretty happy. I'm a hell of a lot happier than I used to be, that's for damn sure. When I'm not in one of those everything-is-going-to-faaaaaaail maelstroms, I'm actually the happiest I've ever been and I really like where my life is going.

I can't really complain about how things are going in my life. =) I've got some fun hobbies to keep me occupied when I'm feeling down in the dumps. I've got my family, my friends, my pets... lots of people and things to keep me happy. I'm not afraid of my future. I'm more excited for it than anything. I will sometimes catch myself becoming sad and/or angry when I read about current events and it's a shame that I have to be ignorant of the world just to be happy. I guess that's where the "ignorance is bliss" phrase comes from. I'd rather be blissful and not ignorant at the same time, but it's hard. XD

As humans, we all cannot be happy 100% of the time. It's our human nature to feel all kinds of emotions.

Not really a possibility given the way I exist. My brain and emotions are very finicky and constantly unsatisfied. Even when I seem happy on the surface, things can often build up and spiral out of control. Merely existing in any stable way requires strict emotional regulation and care not to overtax myself, which doesn't allow me to quite live a normal life. (I can't work, for instance.) My own inadequacies and stark limitations cause a constant low self-esteem and feeling of uselessness, ensuring that I haven't really been able to be a happy person for most of my life.

On the bright side, things have improved massively. I have found a life partner who provides much needed stability and guidance. I finally have animal friends who I take care of and love me the most. And I'm more productive than ever... although that last part is largely due to boredom/loneliness (because I have no other friends aside from my husband and neither does he) and a constant need to feel useful that isn't easily satisfied. Still! Considering the large amount of turmoil I've suffered, it means a lot. And I appreciate it.

So long as I'm being myself and doing what I like to do, I'm definitely enjoying life.

Would you consider yourself a happy person? - Yes, for the most part.
Are you satisfied with your life the way it is currently? - Not completely but on second thoughts it's not that bad overall.
Do you worry about the future and if so, does it impact your life now? - Of course, but I am trying not to let it get to me. I probably wouldn't be as happy if I was thinking about that more.

No. I've been a bit of a gloomy person most of my life, I think. The past few years, though, it's been getting hard to even remember the times when I've been happy. I try my best to be friendly and funny toward people, but I think I'm actually worse now than I was when I was younger. I have this weird jealousy toward people who are happier and more confident than I am. I wonder how obvious it is to other people that I'm a deeply bitter, frustrated, and lonely person on the inside.

Now? No, I'm not happy now, and I never was. Though I feel like I've been becoming significantly happier this last year, especially within the last few months, and it's bound to become drastically better within the next year. Even then, I'm not entirely sure what to expect of myself emotionally, considering how disturbed I am

I'm not satisfied with my life per seé because there's too much for me to accomplish yet but notalot of time to do so, a.k.a life goals, BUT I'm happy, maybe it's because I know what I want for myself and what I can and can't do, have my 2 feet on the ground and my ideas up high, that's how I roll

On the whole, yeah, I think so. Is my life glamorous? Am I particularly successful? No, not really. But I've got a helpful family, my girlfriend and I are basically perfect for each other, I have lucked my way through a number of life's big hurdles, and I haven't had to deal with a lot of otherwise common problems, so even for as much as I complain about the various inconveniences and minor troubles and stressful work weeks I find myself faced with, I can't really say I've got it all that bad. It's just that I've just got a very prosaic brand of good fortune.

Last edited:
I am not a happy person. I am not satisfied with my life. I am worry about the future.

I guess I would consider myself happy. I mean, I'm not the happiest someone could ever be. I could easily come up with a giant list of things that I want to happen in my life. But, most of these things are superficial. I don't have a romantic partner nor a job, which are things people seem to consider "essential", but I'm only 16, so I don't really need to worry about that just yet. I'm pretty confident in my skills anyways so I'm sure I will be able to handle myself fine in the future. I may not be one of the most popular people in my school, in fact I'm quite awkward near most people, but I have my small circle of friends who are always there and that's enough for me. I can't complain about my family either. So yes, I'm happy. :)

Considering the self-inflicted injuries I've given myself since no one seems to care...no.

Id say I'm more happy then unhappy in life right now. Over the past year I've improved on my depression significantly but there are still times when I'm just not okay for no reason. I have a handful of friends I've made this past year that I hang out with and I am more deeply involved in my hobbies and interests now so my happy times happen longer and more frequently now. Currently I'm okay with my life the way it is. It could use improvements but its by no means bad. I'm worried about the future because I haven't really made any headway into a actual career. I know I cant stay at my current job forever because its just not enough money but I have been at it so long its just very nerve wrecking thinking of leaving it one day. Plus I haven't really found any particular field of study I'm happy with that Id want to go to school for a degree for.

I would consider myself happy. I've had a good last 12 months, yet I'm continuing to make strides. I've been on DDP Yoga for a week and I've felt the best than I have in years. I've learned to live and be happy with myself and not feel so isolated and alone. I used to really let those feelings get to me, but over the last year I've found ways to keep myself happy and motivated.

To give an example, last weekend I was supposed to hang out with a friend. She owns her own cleaning business and is very busy. We made plans to hang out for a week and we made plans - she put it on her calendar. Needless to say, she didn't show up. It's not the first time this happened. In the past, something like this would upset me and ruin my night because I would get angry, depressed and spend hours focusing on what happened and not do anything else. Don't get me wrong, I was a little raffled - but I reflected on all of the positives in my life and I went home and enjoyed an evening to myself - watching Pokemon believe it or not.

There is so much that I still want to accomplish and I have dreams and goals, but I also realize that I have a good foundation and I'm grateful for it. For those who haven't found happiness yet, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Would you consider yourself a happy person?
Depends. My mood is constantly changing so I mean sometimes I am and sometimes I'm not; I wouldn't say it really leans one way though.

Are you satisfied with your life the way it is currently?
It's not bad. Two things I would change but I'm working on them.

Do you worry about the future and if so, does it impact your life now?
Nope.

Honestly I'm a pretty emotionless person. '^^

probably not. i can be funny and happy at times around friends but most of the time i just sit in my room wondering where my life went wrong and dissociating for hours. god i sound so fucking emo saying that lol but its true. my life is pretty pathetic honestly. i dont know. kinda hard to be happy when youve experienced a lot of trauma and have several debilitating mental illnesses because of it

I think a general feeling of happiness can be closely tied to self-esteem. Because of that, I find that the older I get, the easier it is for me to feel content. As I've gained more world perspectives and learned how to deal with new challenges, I think I've become overall more mentally balanced.

I still have a number of things I want to accomplish, and a number of things I think I probably should've accomplished long ago. The difference now, in contrast to my late teens/early twenties, is I'm able to focus on all of the great things that I can and do make happen, rather than dwell on my persistent shortcomings. Like the rest of us, I'm always striving for self-improvement, but sometimes it's much easier to make those improvements happen if you wait for the right timing. I think it's helpful to be just as patient with yourself as you are with others.

One thing I find that keeps my spirits high on a day to day basis, is making life in general dynamic. Sometimes this is done for you, e.g., I'm currently acclimating to a new job that's both fun and challenging. It's taking most of my focus, but that's okay, because I'm learning and trying new things. It could be that sometimes the opposite is true as well, though. Life may grow increasingly monotonous by the day, and then you have to create your own dynamism. I think these are the perfect opportunities to develop new skills, hobbies, or lifestyle changes.

I'm both excited and apprehensive about what will happen from here forward. As I'm attempting to transition to full independence (perhaps a bit behind schedule :p), I know I'll have lots of opportunities to make myself happy, but I also know it'll be very easy to screw them up. All I have to rely on are my wits and my own personal blend of cynical optimism. Hopefully I can take what I've learned and use it to create my own destiny. And if I fall flat, it'll only make me all the wiser, improving my chances of success for round 2. Whether or not I'll be able to sing the same tune when I'm face to face with it all remains to be seen, but all anyone can do is try.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom