• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Ever Consider Using Pre-Gen V Pokemon in BW Before the E4?

I got a wingull in a trade before Burgh, and he evolved and i used him through the whole game. So, yes. :D

Never. I prefer playing with the regional Pokémon when I play it, it feels more right. I transfered a few Pokémon after the Elite 4, though.

I always use the new gen's monsters exclusively during my first playthrough, and use the rest of them during replays. That can go on for a while, because over time I tend to gain new favourites and grow to like ones I initially had no interest in thanks to all the alternative media.

That said, at some point I will end up using old favourites during a playthrough, but it's usually not until a few years after the initial release of the games. By that time, I'd have tried out all the new 'mons I was interested in anyway.

Short answer; No, not until a few playthroughs.

No I haven't in Black version. In the third version I maybe would breed egg moves from previous generation pokémon for a generation V pokémon or breed dream world abilities but I would not use a pokémon which is not in the regional pokédex unless you could catch or recieve it before the elite four like I trained a level 1 Giratina from Sinjoh Ruins in Soul Silver after defeating Morty. In Emerald version I also bred and evolved a Feebas, a Pichu with Volt Tackle and a Cacnea before I could catch them by trading from Sapphire which are all in the Hoenn regional pokédex.

I really don't care. I choose a pokemon on four criteria: moveset, stats, aesthetics, and whether or not I've used it before. Best qualifier for that slot in my team wins.

If the best pokemon there is is a pre-Gen V pokemon, so be it.

On my first playthrough I use the best of the new gen pokes and only use old gen pokes if I have extra room or time. Subsequent playthroughs all bets are off.

My current White team has a DW Luxray with Magnet Rise, indeed. Not as awesome as Eelektross, but grows faster, so it's OK for non-competitive play.

Absolutely. I'd like to make a team of all non-Unova Pokemon to go throughout most of the game. :-D

I would go out of my way to avoid using them pre-E4. I want to experience Unova/Isshu as it was originally intended.

Nah, I usually try and stick with pokes native to the region anyway.

I didn't use any of the older Pokemon because I already had my team planned beforehand and wanted to use the native Pokemon. But once I finished the game, I transfered loads of pre-Gen V Pokemon.

Would and am, although I always intend to keep it to a bare minimum and I've only just caved because damnit, I got myself a Modest Feebas finally and I'm damn using it, especially as I want an Ice/Water sweeper anyway. First playthrough I insist in keeping it region-only Pokemon, though.

The only game where I have used Pokémon not in that region's Pokédex is SoulSilver (I haven't played it much, but due to the PokéWalker, my team at Olivine is Feraligatr, Ampharos, Dragonair and Metang). Other than that, I always stick to only using Pokémon in that region's Pokédex; heck, with most games, I only use new Pokémon (so I even snub old Pokémon in the regional dex).

There are two possibilities where I would consider using old Pokemon: mono-Teams and Egg Moves.

Mono-teams are very hard to complete because certain types cannot access all the Pokemon of that time. Some, they are lucky because you can get that type during playthrough, like Normal (Lillipup, Pidove, Audino, Minccino, Deerling, Watchog, Bouffalant), Grass (Snivy, Deerling, Cottonee, Petilil, Pansage, Sewaddle, Ferroseed, Maractus, Foongus) and Water (Oshawott, Tympole, Frillish, Ducklett, Basculin, Alomomola, Panpour), but some aren't like Rock (Roggenrola, Dwebble and one of the fossil Pokemon) and Ice (Vanillite, Cubchoo and Cryogonal). Getting new members will give the team more variety, which I want.

Egg Moves: some of the new Pokemon are locked out of getting Egg Moves, so none of the new Pokemon gets Spikes, so I need another Spikes user that can be bred on to the new Pokemon. Ferroseed, for example, cannot learn Spikes on its own, so it needs to get it from Cacnea.

Thanks for reading.

I'm using a Pikachu through my current play through of White, just because it's my favorite Pokemon. That's it, just this one none Unova Pokemon. I refuse to use the Entei, and Suicune I transferred over to get Zoroark. Since I think using Legendary Pokemon, is kind of like cheating.

I didn't catch any till after the elite 4 in White and thats what I plan to do in Grey and Black. Really made it possible to connect with the new pokeon and accept them for their strengths.

Absolutly. Then I wouldn't have to bother training any new pokemon. I could just sweep through all the gym leaders with my level 50 plus tortera and quilava.

I don't think I would. Gen V introduced so many guys I think I liked picking from all new guys for the game. I ended up using all new ones for my playthrough of white.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom