• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Have Preferred Pokemon: Sword and Shield The Series Over Journeys?

I dropped off at the start of Unova, only really started watching again with Journeys but I'm going through XY at the moment and seen a few episodes of SM
Respectfully, I’m not sure why you’re making a claim if you haven’t watched the episodes. In SM and DP he also had 2 starters. XY and Advance were the only ones where they were “evenly distributed”.

Alright, I’ll take the bait because it really feels like you’re baiting at this point. And if Ash should get Grookey then what?
Then I'll be disappointed in the writers not fully commiting to changing up the status quo with Ash's captures. Thankfully there is still the chance of the monkey going to more fitting trainers

Sooner Koharu or Go gets Grookey the better. No more starters for Ash
Kurolegacy is right. You've been going around in circles with Hidden Mew and after dropping things for a couple days, you come back to this thread baiting people by making statements about Ash and starters the way you are.
Thankfully there is still the chance of the monkey going to more fitting trainers
Like this.

Then I'll be disappointed in the writers not fully commiting to changing up the status quo with Ash's captures. Thankfully there is still the chance of the monkey going to more fitting trainers
If that’s all that it takes in order to disappoint you when Journeys has done some legitimately disappointing things, things that have been pointed out in this very thread, you have some ridiculous standards for this series knowing full well that Ash is the face of the anime first and foremost and that the purpose of the series is to be an advertisement.

A reminder on posting etiquette - please read
Alola, folks!

This thread seems to be devolving into the wrong direction, so here are several points that every user needs to keep in mind:

• Not everyone is going share your opinion and that is okay.
  • You can respond to another user's opinion with your own in disagreement, but it must be done in a respectful manner.
  • If you have tried and failed to change someone else's opinion with your own, the best thing to do is move on; beating a dead horse amounts to nothing.
  • If there is a user who makes posts you do not agree with, you can always ignore that user with the ignore button. Focus your posting elsewhere.
With all of this being said, we PokeAni staff expect this thread to continue forward politely, respectfully, and on topic.

Anyway, I'm fine with the current format and choose it over a standard Galarian series. Hopefully that and Go stays for Gen 9 :)

I starting watching the series right after it was first announced, but then stopped only to pick back up later once it had more development.

I will say that I was a bit surprised to see that it wasn't focused in one specific region as most of the other seasons are, but it kept things a bit interesting. The only thing I really didn't like as much is the sudden change in activity that was the main focal point from one episode to the next. For example, one episode they're in Kanto going on a bug marauding spree, and the next they are in Sinnoh doing a race. I didn't really prefer the sudden unannounced jump from region to region, but I sort of took that as they were just exploring with what Ash was already supposed to be very familiar with from the past.

I would like to see more of Galar focused on in the anime, but if they don't get to that now, it may be a chance to show up in a different form later on. But, for the most part, the series is enjoyable.

I think a big part of this series problem could have easily been solved by having Ash and Goh doing research in Wedgehurst for Professor Magnolia instead of Professor Cerise in Vermillion City. Someone else said this here but I forget who it was.
Really raises the question of why they didn’t just do that especially when Go’s partner was a Scorbunny and Koharu has a Yamper. For all that, they might as well have been from Galar.

As much as I enjoy PM 2019's new formula (not its execution though, just the idea), a series fully based on Sword and Shield'd interest me. Of course it'd probably mean going back to the COTD scenario, but imagine a more traditional saga with Galar's gym quest? The strategies Satoshi could use with the Daimax thing, his battles being watched by a bunch of people, he having to wear the uniform, the league itself, etc...
Not mentioning the possible role of Team Yell and Mary (I'd suppose she'd be one of Satoshi's rivals), Dande and Sonia appearing way more often, Beet participating and getting kicked out of the league, among others. And like others said, a better fleshed-out Black Night.

I'd rather see this series in the XY style, with Satoshi wearing a red jacked instead of the usual blue one, and possibly travelling with Yuuri and Yarow (people were guessing those two were gonna be the new main characters before the reveal of PM 2019).

It's a shame really, with how entrenched the Gym Challenge is as practically a national sport in Galar, the writers could have done some real interesting things considering Ash isn't a voiceless stand-in for the invincible player:

You could have Ash be the expected favourite to win due to being the Alola Champion only to be uncomfortable with the extra pressure on how he looks and acts as a commentary on child celebrities. Alternatively you could have audiences and the other Challengers be antagonistic towards Ash due to being seen as an "outsider" who couldn't win the League in his homeland of Kanto so he goes around entering other Regions' Leagues to scrounge some glory.

Considering the first part of IoA makes more sense if played before becoming the Champion, you could actually show Kabu being "the wall" as in-game dialogue hypes him up as by having him narrowly clutch a victory against Ash who afterwards is diligently rewatching the match on his Rotom Phone to see where he went wrong only to absentmindedly give the wrong directions to the Cabbie who takes him to the IoA where the mix-up of Mustard's "new student" occurs. (Having part of IoA during the Gym Challenge also breaks up potential tedium of the more railroad-esque nature of Galar's Gyms.)

Finally by being firmly in Galar you could explore things the games couldn't/didn't in order to enrich the Region - Such as the infamous Minor League even if it was just explaining how it works or even have Allister be the Fourth Gym Leader whilst Bea is training to qualify and decides to travel with Ash. The Monarchy(?) that may or may not exist if Sword/Shield hair duo are anything to go by and maybe get some clarity on if the First King maliciously covered up the Doggos existence to make himself the Hero. Lastly of course all the wonderful Galar Pokémon that Ash and team would meet and potentially capture, I drool at what could have been possible...

Last edited:
I think a big part of this series problem could have easily been solved by having Ash and Goh doing research in Wedgehurst for Professor Magnolia instead of Professor Cerise in Vermillion City. Someone else said this here but I forget who it was.
I suggested that..Even when the premise of Journeys was announced I was SO sure they’d have Ash and Gou researching for Professor Magnolia. But then they took the most boring option.

Of course it'd probably mean going back to the COTD scenario,
We're already back to CotD scenario. This series is rife with CotD and PotD.

Yes. Galar gave them a LOT to work with.
But nope, it's based it off the lame-but-REALLY-popular mobile app, right down to having a character NAMED AFTER IT, who awkwardly bring its mechanics to the Show when it never fit in the first place.
To add insult to injury, they kept SM's formula. That was a necessary evil for SM, but here really it's annoying and even worse...

Yes. Galar gave them a LOT to work with.
But nope, it's based it off the lame-but-REALLY-popular mobile app, right down to having a character NAMED AFTER IT, who awkwardly bring its mechanics to the Show when it never fit in the first place.
To add insult to injury, they kept SM's formula. That was a necessary evil for SM, but here really it's annoying and even worse...

I never understood the notion that Journeys is based off Pokemon Go. I can see why people initially came to that conclusion with Goh's name and the way he captures Pokemon, but based on what I've seen of the series, saying that it's based on Pokemon Go is a pretty huge exaggeration. Aside from the Go style capture and maybe Raid Battles, there really aren't a lot of Pokemon Go elements to the series.

Although, I agree that keeping the formula for SM in Journeys was a bad choice. It was a necessity in SM given the huge cast size and staying primarily in one location made more sense given the setup for SM. It still would have been nice to explore more of the other islands more often, but Alola still felt distinct and the emphasis on family within its culture worked with Ash basically having his own Alolan family. It doesn't quite work in Journeys when aside from Goh and Chloe, none of the other characters in the lab stand out and having a base to come back to at the end of nearly every episode is at odds with the whole world traveling setup the series has too.

Last edited:
Not really unless it had been handled differently instead of being the same pattern that we dealt with from Kanto through Kalos. I like that this saga is trying something different because the constant run of 20 fillers > gym 2-parter > 20 fillers > gym 2-parter > 20 fillers that used to go on for 3 to 4 years per saga was just too much.

Eh I'm okay with this series. Sure a Shield and Sword saga sounds good on paper but it would depend on the execution of all the ideas and I don't have confidence in the writers so I can't say that it would turn out that great especially if Fujisaku would be in charge of some episodes still.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom