• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you have rather had Z or ORAS knowing only one would exist?

Z or ORAS

• Z

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • ORAS

Votes: 37 66.1%

• Total voters
I'm disappointed that they didn't have enough Emerald content, especially when HG/SS did incorporate Crystal elements and I was so looking forward to battling in the Battle Frontier again, but having original content isn't bad. If anything, it helps to make OR/AS stand out more as their own game instead of just being R/S with a new coat of paint. They're still recognizable as R/S remakes, but they have their own content to help make them more distinct and worthwhile for both long time fans and new ones.
Not to mention the Delta Episode's ending where it was mentioned, or at the very least implied, that the original RSE exists in its own universe. I really like that because it makes games like RBY, GSC and RSE still "canon" to their own respective universe instead of just retconned.

Last edited:
They wanted to allow fans to complete the Pokedex between X/Y and OR/AS, which is why they included a bunch of Legendary Pokemon.

More importantly, it allowed all of those Legendary Pokémon to be obtained with the blue pentagon. So this probably would have happened regardless of whether the next game was OR/AS or Z, because those Pokémon needed to be made useable in official battles.

That was the issue with gen 6. They over filled both pair of games with too many pokemon which is why we didn't get another game or two. They just jammed both pair of games with pokemon without thinking it through. That is why we didn't get Z or sequels. Not to mention all mythical pokemon getting released each month.

I'm sorry but I would have prefer Z cause there are things like the ghost girl that appeared in both pair of games, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves not available, Zygarde's forms, AZ' Floette, Ash's Greninja, Lysandre's fate, locked rooms of the powerplant, train station at Couriway Town and others that I forgot or can't think about at the moment. This is my opinion though.

That was the issue with gen 6. They over filled both pair of games with too many pokemon which is why we didn't get another game or two. They just jammed both pair of games with pokemon without thinking it through. That is why we didn't get Z or sequels. Not to mention all mythical pokemon getting released each month.

As far as the too many Pokemon issue goes, that probably would have happened regardless of whether we got Z or OR/AS. I assume that in this hypothetical situation, the sixth generation still lasted only three years, which could be one reason why we could only get one or the other, so that would have happened anyway. I think that you're assuming too much in that they were jamming Pokemon into the games without thinking it through. I'm pretty sure that they already knew by that point that OR/AS were the last games of the generation, so that would be another reason why they had so many Legendary Pokemon. They weren't doing that just for the heck of it. Sun/Moon would have already been well into development by the time OR/AS came out, so that wasn't why we didn't get Z or sequels.

As for the Mythical Pokemon being released each month, that definitely would have happened regardless of what game came out. That is part of the 20th anniversary celebration. I'm not quite sure how that's a bad thing anyway, especially when many of these Pokemon wouldn't have been available for new or recent fans.

Alexander said:
I'm sorry but I would have prefer Z cause there are things like the ghost girl that appeared in both pair of games, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves not available, Zygarde's forms, AZ' Floette, Ash's Greninja, Lysandre's fate, locked rooms of the powerplant, train station at Couriway Town and others that I forgot or can't think about at the moment. This is my opinion though.

Honestly, out of all of the things people wanted resolve from X/Y, the ghost girl seems kind of low. I just thought that she was there to be creepy and unsettling. Nothing more and nothing less. The locked rooms of the power plants and the train station also seem a bit too minor to get upset about for me. Getting upset about Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves doesn't make quite much sense to me when that was just revealed through someone hacking into the game. It's not like Game Freak promised to do something with them via an official announcement only to change their minds later. Same with AZ's Floette. Ash Greninja form was never even shown in the games, so getting upset over that seems kind of odd. Out of all of the forms, that probably has the best chance of appearing in a future game due to how mysterious it is compared to Zygarde forms and Greninja's popularity. I've already talked about the Zygarde forms plenty of times today, but they aren't the best things in the franchise or that they absolutely have to be in the next games or else the franchise is ruined.

As for Lysandre's fate, it was implied that he either died or gain eternal life like AZ did depending on which version you play. And it's not like he's the only evil leader with his fate in the air. They did that with Giovanni during the second generation and even HG/SS left his fate vague. Cyrus's fate was also left undetermined, especially in Platinum, so I'm not sure why Lysandre's fate needs to be resolved completely.

I understand that you want these things resolved, but I still don't understand why you think all of that is so much more important than what we got in OR/AS, aside from this just being your opinion.

Unless they were to do a X2 and Y2, I really don't think Z would have told us what happened to Lysandre after. It would have still left his fate up in the air. Doesn't help that we have contradicting hints in both versions.

As far as the too many Pokemon issue goes, that probably would have happened regardless of whether we got Z or OR/AS. I assume that in this hypothetical situation, the sixth generation still lasted only three years, which could be one reason why we could only get one or the other, so that would have happened anyway. I think that you're assuming too much in that they were jamming Pokemon into the games without thinking it through. I'm pretty sure that they already knew by that point that OR/AS were the last games of the generation, so that would be another reason why they had so many Legendary Pokemon. They weren't doing that just for the heck of it. Sun/Moon would have already been well into development by the time OR/AS came out, so that wasn't why we didn't get Z or sequels.

In fact, they specifically say in the OR/AS guidebook that they wanted to enable players to complete the National Dex within Gen VI. So yeah, that definitely wouldn't have changed even with Z.

Which in a minor way also makes more sense to do with two regions than with one. I mean, every Pokémon ever being available in Kalos alone, even if it were between X/Y and Z? Logistically, that just seems kind of weird.

I'm not quite sure how that's a bad thing anyway, especially when many of these Pokemon wouldn't have been available for new or recent fans.

Some of them in particular, like Mew, Shaymin, and Manaphy, really needed it anyway because it had been so long since their last distributions.

Honestly, out of all of the things people wanted resolve from X/Y, the ghost girl seems kind of low.

OR/AS at least shows us that she was alive some years prior to X/Y. We just don't know the circumstances of her demise. But if we were to never find out, that wouldn't be a big deal. We never learned what those handful of indecipherable characters in the Abyssal Ruins meant, either, although in a case such as the ghost girl's, sometimes *not* knowing the details makes it all the more interesting. Anyway my point is that minor mysteries like these really aren't enough to justify making a certain game over a different one. And how do we even know that Z wouldn't have just done what OR/AS did? There is no guarantee that it would have elaborated on her any more than OR/AS did.

Getting upset about Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves doesn't make quite much sense to me when that was just revealed through someone hacking into the game.

The way that I see it, we are literally not allowed to feel anything at all about Thousand Waves/Thousand Arrows. Because I reiterate - for all intents and purposes, they don't exist. We shouldn't know they exist, and in accordance with that, Game Freak is not acknowledging their existence. As is standard procedure with leaks and datadumps. If we peek at it, we are free to go nuts with our speculation, but whatever conclusions we prematurely draw from it are solely on us.

As for Lysandre's fate, it was implied that he either died or gain eternal life like AZ did depending on which version you play. And it's not like he's the only evil leader with his fate in the air. They did that with Giovanni during the second generation and even HG/SS left his fate vague. Cyrus's fate was also left undetermined, especially in Platinum, so I'm not sure why Lysandre's fate needs to be resolved completely.

And really, what's even left to do there? A line of dialogue saying, "Yeah that bloke's fertilizer now" doesn't justify making a whole game. And they can't just roll with the idea that he's immortal, because that doesn't fit with what happens in Y.

Honestly, I think his story is pretty complete as it is. We dashed his plans and tried to reason with him, but him being the haughty, passionate egomaniac that he is, he decides to throw a tantrum and kamikaze himself. And depending on the game, he either dies (in Y) or gets cursed with ironic immortality (in X... although an argument could be made that he is most likely an immortal puddle of smashed organs, but that obviously wouldn't clear the E rating). I wouldn't even call it open-ended... it's certainly not like Cyrus who remains unapprehended and vows to realize his plans one day.

Doesn't matter anyway since ORAS is the the last games of gen 6. I am going to stop talking about Zygarde now because it is winding me up when brought up and I am unintentionally annoying people which I apologize for. Can only hope for the best.

OR/AS easily. They are are an amazing love letter to the original R/S.
Pokemon was initially supposed to end with Gen II, but after the unimaginable, roaring success of the games both in and outside of Japan, they decided to continue the franchise. R/S are the games that made the first step for the rest of the entire franchise, and what ambitious, amazing steps they were. Remaking such an important step for the franchise for a new generation to experience and enjoy is fitting given the great demand for them, especially when you consider that the 20th Anniversary was 15 month away from OR/AS' release date.

Then there's also the fact that OR/AS made the National Pokedex completable within Gen VI.
it also gave us the best version of Wallace

If Z was just a rehash of XY, then ORAS by far. Plus I would've chosen a return to Hoenn regardless.

I would have preferred Hoenn sequels with elements from Kalos (really just AZ and Zygarde). They took the easy way out with remakes, even though the Delta Episode shows that there was potential for a new story. I understand why they did it (the demand on social media), but I hope they're going to be more innovative in the next generation.

But if we're speaking hypothetically, XY should have been better games to begin with.

Alexander said:
That was the issue with gen 6. They over filled both pair of games with too many pokemon which is why we didn't get another game or two.
You got it backwards. They filled both pairs with all the non-mythical Pokemon because they had no plan to add another game.

Last edited:
I would really enjoy Hoenn sequels, actually, but not *instead* of the Hoenn remakes that we got. All the "relive your nostalgia!" factor that is so well done in ORAS, would´ve been lost in sequels. We needed the nostalgia ride, before thinking of potential sequels.

But Hoenn sequels would be cool in the future, actually.

But Hoenn sequels would be cool in the future, actually.
I don't really see Hoenn sequels as anymore likely than sequels from any other past region (which I don't see as likely). It would be cool if they were churning out an unlimited number of games, but I don't really see sequels of past region games as a part of the future formula. If the game is going to be totally different, why not just go to a new region anyway. The point of the remakes is to have nostalgia and then add some features that make something that was really good even better. I don't really think a sequel 10 years later makes a whole lot of sense and I don't ever see two consecutive releases of an old region ever occurring either.

I don't really see Hoenn sequels as anymore likely than sequels from any other past region (which I don't see as likely). It would be cool if they were churning out an unlimited number of games, but I don't really see sequels of past region games as a part of the future formula. If the game is going to be totally different, why not just go to a new region anyway. The point of the remakes is to have nostalgia and then add some features that make something that was really good even better. I don't really think a sequel 10 years later makes a whole lot of sense and I don't ever see two consecutive releases of an old region ever occurring either.
I just meant it as a hypothetical possibility: not only for Hoenn, but for any past region, really. I am sure people will feel nostalgic and want to revisit their favourite regions *again*, in the future, and sequels seem more likely than re- remakes for satisfying the fans. But it is just a possibility.

ORAS. I never managed to play all the way through the original Ruby, so it felt like completing unfinished business.

(in X... although an argument could be made that he is most likely an immortal puddle of smashed organs, but that obviously wouldn't clear the E rating).
For some reason, this made me flash back to a scene from Jackie Chan Adventures.

Z (or ideally X2 and Y2) without a doubt. I hated RSE back then for GF's stupid decisions in its geographic anachronism, and they've failed to recitify this in ORAS. Why, in the first place, they didn't actually base the region on Hawaii, or somewhere more suitable than Kyushu (which is NOT tropical!) is beyond my reasoning. Why they didn't downplay the tropical bits, do some actual research (like they did for XY, an overseas region!), and actually Japanify Poke-Kyushu - I can only conclude that GF's been lazy.

Z, no brainer. I hate Hoenn and didn't like RSE. The only reason I got AS at all was because of Mega Lopunny and Mega Gallade. Although I did like the Dexnav and secret bases in ORAS.

I have to go with ORAS over Z. Despite ORAS forcing us to side with the evil-ish team's rival team (which is, by the way, ALSO evil-ish) instead of accurately showing both teams' good and bad sides and keeping the player relatively neutral (WHICH I completely understand that they had to do it both because of Delta Episode which arguably works better for Rayquaza than Emerald does AND because of where the Primal Reversion battle happens, but still), there was a lot of cleanup that went into ORAS that RSE sorely needed.

Now if only we could get mix-and-match doubles again like we could have in Emerald.

I have to go with Z myself.

Now don't get me wrong: I like ORAS but Kalos needed something. It's supposed to be the main star in this Gen--it's the main Gen VI region--but it is freaking overshadowed by Hoenn of all places? What gives? I would have rather liked to have seen GF clean up Kalos than polish Hoenn; Hoenn remakes could have waited a little while but Kalos needed some shoring up badly. Which of course, we probably won't get.

I have to go with Z myself.

Now don't get me wrong: I like ORAS but Kalos needed something. It's supposed to be the main star in this Gen--it's the main Gen VI region--but it is freaking overshadowed by Hoenn of all places? What gives? I would have rather liked to have seen GF clean up Kalos than polish Hoenn; Hoenn remakes could have waited a little while but Kalos needed some shoring up badly. Which of course, we probably won't get.

To be fair, we were expecting RS remakes in Generation V but got smothered by more glorious Unova. This balances things out when looked at retrospectively.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom