• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you like to see another Pokemon Tournament within Episode N?

Would you like to see another Pokemon Tournament within episode N?

• Total voters
Surely Episode N won't last until the start of the Gen 6 anime, so maybe they'll have a short tournament after Episode N and before the next Gen - and PLEASE let Ash win ;_;

I guess im in minority when i say how i didn't thought every tournament in BW was bad. Admittedly way in which Club battle and Junior Cup were executed being poorly paced and full of short contrived battles, ridiculous outcomes etc doesn't give much hope for something meaningful being made out of another big competition. But i actually liked Clubsplosion tournament which aside from enjoyable interactions between characters had decent and likable battles. Especially finale between Sawk and Throh which felt like one of complex, detailed battles we used to follow in DP. For most part that event was done right.

So personally i wouldn't mind another tournament, but only if writers decide to do expansion from world tournament introducing sequel from Junior Cup. Such as Senior competition which would involve bringing some of previous characters and gym leaders back staying more faithful to concept which event on global basis represents involving competitors from all parts of world. As opposite to cheap, rushed mess we got in form of Junior Cup.

That way it would also be open doors to return of fan favorite companions like Brock, perhaps even Paul and good old redhead who we haven't seen for ages. Call me old fashioned but there are some past characters i would definitely like to see again having unfinished business like Misty who knows how to shake things up and bring life into dynamic. And competition on global basis like world tournament would be ticket to warrant their return and get more development.

Concurrently another tournament could also serve as refreshing break from whole Team Plasma story and N serving as detour, way to fill up time between entanglement and climax of whole plot .
Something which would be nice and interesting way to give viewers something else on table to prevent becoming bored of current story and tie up possible loose ends left with rivals.

Speaking of which perhaps its just me but such early drop from league and open ended way in which Trip and Ash rivalry was left indicating another clash in future, implies how this wasn't last we might see from Ash main rival in Unova,. Granted Ash already defeated him, but imo it would be amusing if revenge from Trip side wanting to settle down bills with Ash was used as inducement for continuation of their adversary. Although im not sure how much this could be pulled of in conceivable and engaging manner.

Surely Episode N won't last until the start of the Gen 6 anime, so maybe they'll have a short tournament after Episode N and before the next Gen - and PLEASE let Ash win ;_;

I don't see why they wouldn't have Episode N last until the next series. Another short tournament would only be four or so episodes and it would feel odd to have a smaller-scale tournament end the series, instead of the League, and since they made a big deal about Episode N, I think that they'll just focus on that arc for now instead of throwing in another small tournament at the last minute. I unfortunately could see them doing that in an attempt to give a farewell to Iris and Cilan, but I would prefer for them to not do that just because of how bad most of these tournaments were. Even Ash getting a win won't really be enough for me when the tournament itself has a poor chance of being entertaining.

I don't see why they wouldn't have Episode N last until the next series. Another short tournament would only be four or so episodes and it would feel odd to have a smaller-scale tournament end the series, instead of the League, and since they made a big deal about Episode N, I think that they'll just focus on that arc for now instead of throwing in another small tournament at the last minute. I unfortunately could see them doing that in an attempt to give a farewell to Iris and Cilan, but I would prefer for them to not do that just because of how bad most of these tournaments were. Even Ash getting a win won't really be enough for me when the tournament itself has a poor chance of being entertaining.
The Gen 6 anime would probably start in Fall at it's earliest, and that's around 8 months - 32 episodes... I guess they COULD dedicate the the whole 30 something episodes to N. Not that I'm complaining XDD But I just want Ash to win SOMETHING after that horrible Unova League that literally failed the anime in itself.

The Gen 6 anime would probably start in Fall at it's earliest, and that's around 8 months - 32 episodes... I guess they COULD dedicate the the whole 30 something episodes to N. Not that I'm complaining XDD But I just want Ash to win SOMETHING after that horrible Unova League that literally failed the anime in itself.

I don't expect them to start the next series until October and I really could see them dedicating thirty episodes for the N/Team Plasma storyline. There's not many other options for them to go beyond that and not really enough time for another arc. While Ash winning something would be nice, I still wouldn't want to deal with another small tournament arc in this series. Even Ash winning it wouldn't make it worthwhile to sit through another tournament with rushed battles and cheap victories. I'd much rather see them not handle another tournament arc and just go back to making another sidequest in the next series.

Judging from merchandise releases for February and beyond, there's a fairly high likelihood of Virgil returning--something I would argue was a given in any event. So it's possible that the context could be another PWT taking place in Hodomoe City. Actually, we shouldn't rule out the possibility of a few old Gym Leaders/Champions returning for this; the merchandise over the next few months may be telling in that regard.

Am I the only person who hates tournament arcs, not just in this series but in general?

They're freaking plotless wastes of time that are a chore to get through. Seeing characters fight each other in the same stadium for an entire month (assuming the show isn't pre-empted any during that time) because the writers are too lazy to figure out a better way to get these characters to interact with each other isn't even the least bit fun. I would much rather see Satoshi battle Kenyan because he wants to test his rival's strength than see him forced to go up against him because they were chosen to battle each other in a random drawing.

And that's not even taking into account how terrible the BW tournaments have all been.

I'll take four unpredictable "filler" episodes in which the pokemon learn new attacks or evolve over having to sit through twenty minutes of Don George talking about how exciting everything is any day.

Well, a lot of times Tournament Arcs (in other series) introduce quite a few new interesting characters, and are great to showcase the various powers of the cast and such. But I agree series, such as Kinnikuman, turning into Tournament Series can get a bit stale.

This true but Who would they have in this Tournament since they wrote out some of the Rivals Already.

Am I the only person who hates tournament arcs, not just in this series but in general?

They're freaking plotless wastes of time that are a chore to get through. Seeing characters fight each other in the same stadium for an entire month (assuming the show isn't pre-empted any during that time) because the writers are too lazy to figure out a better way to get these characters to interact with each other isn't even the least bit fun.

DP's tag battle tournament...?

Diamond and Pearl Tag Tournament ROCKED, but it wasn't all tournament battling, we also had meaningful character interaction and the Chimchar subplot being wrapped up.

If we're to go by merchandise for the next few months, then Virgil should have a fair likelihood of returning--something I think we can all agree is necessitated either way by the fact that not once did he and Satoshi battle, nor did his Eievui evolve. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a PWT scenario in Hodomoe, but he could just as easily simply appear and help fight off the Plasma-dan.

Gaburias is one of the Pokemon featured on various pieces of merchandise--Shouwa Note for example--alongside Episode N Pokemon such as Lizardon and Rayquaza, so that could point to Shirona returning for PWT; however, Flygon, Bohmander, and Archeos are also featured and they don't belong notably to any PWT character, so it's possible that all four could simply come under the ownership of Iris. (Lucario and Sazandora are featured too, but that may simply be because of Kotetsu)

Last edited:

They're freaking plotless wastes of time that are a chore to get through. Seeing characters fight each other in the same stadium for an entire month (assuming the show isn't pre-empted any during that time) because the writers are too lazy to figure out a better way to get these characters to interact with each other isn't even the least bit fun. I would much rather see Satoshi battle Kenyan because he wants to test his rival's strength than see him forced to go up against him because they were chosen to battle each other in a random drawing.

And that's not even taking into account how terrible the BW tournaments have all been.

I'm not sure if the other tournament arcs in previous series have been too bad. The Tag Battle tournament in DP was awesome and while the Whirl Cup was pretty lackluster for the most part, it didn't feel like a waste of time, at least compared to the BW tournaments. Though, with the BW tournament arcs, it really does come off more like the writers can't figure out how to have the characters interact more without a tournament to bring them together. Having Ash battle the rival characters just because they run into each other would be better than simply going through a couple of rounds in a tournament to get to that match.

Dogasu said:
I'll take four unpredictable "filler" episodes in which the pokemon learn new attacks or evolve over having to sit through twenty minutes of Don George talking about how exciting everything is any day.

Considering how many of the Pokemon in BW need more training to learn more attacks or evolve, that would have been a much better use of time than spending a handful of episodes on these tournaments, even with how the second one was relatively decent for the most part.

Quattro ~ Bajeena said:
Diamond and Pearl Tag Tournament ROCKED, but it wasn't all tournament battling, we also had meaningful character interaction and the Chimchar subplot being wrapped up.

...which they could have achieved without locking everyone in a stadium for the better part of a month.

I thought the Tournament Arc was a great place to work the Chimchar plot in though, and all the battles rocked.

I'd like to see a Tournament, but given that most of the rival plots of Best Wishes have been concluded (Trip, Bianca, not sure about Stephan) or have stagnated (Burgundy and Georgia) it leaves scope for only about six characters in each tournament, which, for Best Wishes, is pretty small. I would like to see Ash beating Cameron and Virgil, and definitely challenging N.

As long as it isn't as shockingly bad as the Junior Cup and Unova League were, then I'm for it. It would be even better if Ash uses Charizard there and getting a win over Cameron would be a real treat to watch after that BS ridden battle.

Quattro ~ Bajeena said:

...which they could have achieved without locking everyone in a stadium for the better part of a month.

I don't really see any other situation where Ash and Paul would willingly work together. And I think it was the perfect way to spearhead the whole chimchar trade plot.

As shitty as BW tournaments have been, I only want a fourth one to see if the writers could somehow right their wrongs. I love Georgia and Burgundy as well as Bianca so it'd be really nice for them to get some proper closure. It would also be nice if this final tournament Ash would use reserves from other regions and just keep the starters and Scraggy in this one.

Bottom line, I only want a fourth tournament so the writers could potentially do it right and give fans something to look forward to by Generation 6. Have Team Rocket participate, bring back an old face(without screwing them over like you did Dawn), give Ash's pokemon some more development.

To tell the truth, I'm not digging this N' arc too much. Yes the trio is nice and Charizard's return should be interesting but in terms of quality it's wishy-washy.

I'd welcome one last BW tournament, but one done right. Maybe tag or double battle? 3v3? One on ones got tired, so no more of that please.

As far as possibility of another tournament popping up goes, i have to agree with everyone who hope how in case of happening we wont be dealing again with one on one battles. While it seemed nice and refreshing at start after awhile it became just plain formulaic and repetitive not delivering much excitement or diversity in pokemon battles. Two on two per say would be much more appreciated to see opening door for more complex, strategic matches with competitors having to evaluate what pokemon to send and at what time.

That said while chances are small, i still hope we rather get expansion from World Cup concept in that case rather than another Don George competition. Since it would allow for more diverse competition, if were lucky return of some previous characters or gym leaders and be opportunity to have reformatory test from disappointment Junior Cup was promoting idea of evetn on global basis in better, filled with dignity light.

Although if we receive tag competition like we had in DP being one of new features in Don George competitions for change i wouldn't complain. Pairing between main characters and rivals working together as team and overcoming differences would be interesting to try out imo.

I'm not sure if the other tournament arcs in previous series have been too bad. The Tag Battle tournament in DP was awesome and while the Whirl Cup was pretty lackluster for the most part, it didn't feel like a waste of time, at least compared to the BW tournaments. Though, with the BW tournament arcs, it really does come off more like the writers can't figure out how to have the characters interact more without a tournament to bring them together. Having Ash battle the rival characters just because they run into each other would be better than simply going through a couple of rounds in a tournament to get to that match.

Agreed about Hearthome tag tournament, being easily among my favorites. I liked team pairing being enjoyable to see two rivals like Ash and Paul team up and work together for change, and it also fit nicely with story of abandoned Chimchar which later come over under Ash wing. Or Brock and Holly who worked great together as team having enjoyable interactions. And there's of course group of Dawn and rather creepy Conway which certainly gave run for its money to Ash and Paul.

Battles were very good for most part and sometime if done right tournaments can be of great benefit for story, have companions interact and bond more together etc promoting that healthy spirit of sport/competition between them. Which DP tag battle executed very nicely.

Although i liked a lot Whirl Cup too being one of my favorite tourney arcs. Granted it did seemed a bit rushed cramming too many things in only few episodes and i expected more from it. However whole backstory and concept being portrayed as some sort of league for water pokemon was creative and unique in itself. Most battles were enjoyable for most part, set up was nice and interactions between characters like Ash and Misty filled with belaud and competitive fire facing eventually each other being interesting imo.
Most importantly it had purpose behind it being linked with her water master career.

More than i can say for most tournaments in BW unfortunately.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom