• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your kid after a Pokemon?

I was think I could abbrieviate a Roselia's name to Rose. Rose seems like a nice name for a kid :)

Hm...may have to take Surferboy's example, shorten a Pokémon's name to sound more human-suitable. Like, say, Kecleon, make it Leon.

Would I do that no. But in a fantasy world I can imagine "Ms. Tranquil please come up to the board" or "Mr. Snivy - please answer the question"

Druddigon, Axew, and Grovyle may be good names for a boy. Shaymin could be unisex. Meloetta, Chansey, Roselia, and Altaria could be girl names.

Are you serious? Why would I name my kid after a Pokemone? They would get bullied so much at school, and I do not want to be the cause of my childs suffering.

Um no, but if I were to name him/her after a pokemon, the pokemon must be black and blue in color, because that is what my "kid" would end up like. If I was stupid enough to give him/her a name like that, it isn't the end of the world. There is this place called the Merkin Counselling Center, who deals with people with dumb names. I think the slogan was "Don't murder your parents, come to Merkin Counselling Center"? I don't know, it was one of those YDKJ commercials in volume 4 of the game.

Oh yeah. Because naming a child Snorlax or Conkeldurr would make them SOOOO popular.

ha. ha.

But some names are exceptions. Eevee or Evie would be adorable. Roselia is definitely an exception. I've used Kirlia in one of my stories before, not Pokemon, idk I think it's a cute name. xD

Let's see. Ledian sounds kinda like a name. I think Cresselia would be a cool name. Plus it could be shortened to something like Cressy or Chrissy. Altaria could be one. Bannette? Kinda sounds like a girl, but ehh idts. Munna could be one. It sounds kinda cute. Umm, Swanna...maybe? Swanna = Anna. Meloetta could be a possible one too.

Yes I looked through the Pokedex xD

Lol imagine naming your kid Shuckle. Haha...Hooooboy, would that be bad.

Actually, Altaria isn't too bad of a name for something that's not-a-Pokemon.

I'd consider that. Definitely a middle name if anything.

Only names that are based on actual words/real names are acceptable.
Ex: Altaria is just a feminized version of Altair, a constellation. It's also the name of a band, a transport system, etc.
Roselia, Kirlia, Deino...they're ok.

Naming your kid Mewtwo or Zoroark? No.

Meloetta and Altaria sounds nice... Other than that, not really. Even though I love Victini, I sure ain't naming a kid Victini XD

Anyone who chooses a name that's obviously a Pokemon to name their child worries me and probably shouldn't be allowed to have children tbh.

simple answer NO

The Kids would just get embarraseed and bullied at School like

"look it Turtwig,hahahahaha" and "Mr.Turtwig would you please meet at my office NOW!!!!"

it would sound weird and what if my children would try to be President?

"so the candidats for the President possesion is Mr.Obama, Miss.Clinton and.... Mr.Turtwig???

it would be embarrasing to be named after a pokemon.....

No.
I mean seriously who would name their kid after a pokemon? I mean naming your child from a video game character is showing that your not taking anything seriously with raising a child.
I mean it depends....
If your naming your child after a anime character I wouldn't care but I a otaku and that's just how things go XD
But naming your kid Naruto is a big no-no!

Thinking about this in a completely logical way, (because as a fangirl it would be my dream to be named Pachirisu :XD:) if it sounds like a human name than yes. Eevee, Kirlia, Roselia, Shaymin, Deino, the rest...perfectly logical names.

If I met someone named after a weird Pokemon, say...Exeggutor (random), there would be this reaction: slightly insulting giggling, then feeling guilty, then giving the guy (I hope) a high-five for an awesome name. I'd applaud such names. I hope people wouldn't be immature enough to bully someone for having a Pokemon name. :-/ Sure, a lot of laughing, but a name shouldn't be a significant enough reason to hate on someone too harsh...right?

To the list of names I contribute: Kakuna, Paras (agreed with previous person), Abra (seems fairly possible), Chansey (agreed), Starmie, Jynx, Mew, Ledian (agreed), Marill (I think I've seen this before...), Blissey, Linoone, Starly, Staravia, Burmy (I had a knitting teacher named Mrs. Burmy), & Archen. Plus all the others mentioned before. Plus a whole other list for ALTERED Pokemon names. And Japanese ones.

Wow, long post, lol. :shy:

Sure. Some of the names actually work like Kirlia, Altaria, Natu, Xatu, and Roselia. I think one of my classmates back in elementary school is actually named Xatu.

I might name my child Ledyba or Ledian. Those names sound unique yet not too over the top to me.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom