• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you purchase newer Generations on VC?

Would you purchase Gen III/IV/V on the VC?

• Yes

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters

Arcalargo

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not advocating that Nintendo abuse us for our money, but would you purchase the Gen III, IV and V games on the VC if they were made available?

Before you call me an idiot and ask why would they do something so stupid, just think of how much easier it is to transfer using the Transporter box by box instead of 6 at a time. Plus it would make things a lot easier for transport and storage. Let me know what your thoughts are on this below.

I find it hard that they would release those games on VC. The Pokémon from those games can still connect with the recent games... As hard and expensive that may be. Still, they are hard to get, so that makes them valuable and rare, and as a collector, I think they should still be rare.
Anyway, would I buy them?
Probaly not, because at that point I'll probaly already have them on their cartridge forms, so I won't really feel the need to buy them, unless they do a "there will be a Mythical distribution if you buy the games", where I'll then be all over that.

Maybe, but only if it would be Emerald. That's still a maybe though. I don't think it would be a smart move, money-wise.

Gen I and Gen II were more nostalgic and inaccessible, thus why they were such a boon on VC. Gen III and later, not so much.

You can still buy Gen IV and V games.

My mentality concerning later generations being put on the VC is a bit different from how I thought of Gens 1 and 2. In the case of those games, I was 1200% in favor of it because I am a huge stickler for historical preservation and because once they proved that they were able to do it, I really wanted to see the transferring chain restored (and it mostly was; granted, Gens 1 and 2 have to bypass 3, 4, 5, and 6, but now they can go anywhere forward starting from 7 - and to me, that's still a wound healed, regardless of the scar).

Gen 3 I feel is fairly likely to get VC-released anyway, but not for a while. Would I buy them? I don't... really need them since I have the GBA games, but I guess it would be a small comfort to know that the clock wouldn't die or anything in RS. It's a pet peeve of mine when features in the game just go comatose due to obsolete hardware.

That's even more of a factor with the Gen 4 and 5 games due to their features' reliance on Wi-Fi services, but even then, it would be a lot harder for me to justify the purchase since I have actively replayed those games very recently with no issues. And I don't think a Gen 5 VC could ever recreate the Dream World as well, so it would still be missing something big in terms of "recreating the experience" for me.

So, Gen 3 = let's say 50/50 chance I'd buy, Gens 4 and 5 = probably not

Which is... too nuanced an answer for the poll, it seems. :p

My mentality concerning later generations being put on the VC is a bit different from how I thought of Gens 1 and 2. In the case of those games, I was 1200% in favor of it because I am a huge stickler for historical preservation and because once they proved that they were able to do it, I really wanted to see the transferring chain restored (and it mostly was; granted, Gens 1 and 2 have to bypass 3, 4, 5, and 6, but now they can go anywhere forward starting from 7 - and to me, that's still a wound healed, regardless of the scar).

Gen 3 I feel is fairly likely to get VC-released anyway, but not for a while. Would I buy them? I don't... really need them since I have the GBA games, but I guess it would be a small comfort to know that the clock wouldn't die or anything in RS. It's a pet peeve of mine when features in the game just go comatose due to obsolete hardware.

That's even more of a factor with the Gen 4 and 5 games due to their features' reliance on Wi-Fi services, but even then, it would be a lot harder for me to justify the purchase since I have actively replayed those games very recently with no issues. And I don't think a Gen 5 VC could ever recreate the Dream World as well, so it would still be missing something big in terms of "recreating the experience" for me.

So, Gen 3 = let's say 50/50 chance I'd buy, Gens 4 and 5 = probably not

Which is... too nuanced an answer for the poll, it seems. :p

Yeah, well, my brain at 2300 hours wasn't up to the task of making the poll that this thread deserved, so I'll blame past me. :p

That said, that is kind of the answer that I had envisioned. I don't like that Gens 2 and 3 had the battery issues and I've always wanted to bring the historical chain of 'mons from G1 all the way forward. The main reasons that I would say yes to G4 & G5 is simply to make it easier to transfer instead of having to do 6 at a time, with a silly mini game to boot.

The main reasons that I would say yes to G4 & G5 is simply to make it easier to transfer instead of having to do 6 at a time, with a silly mini game to boot.

It is true that I despise the transferring minigames, so from a practical perspective, VCs would be a nice way to alleviate that.

But personally, I'm not really going to be doing a lot of transferring from Gens 3-5, so... :p

FRLG: Yes yes yes, I've wanted to replay this game since 9 years ago, Sevii Islands being the main reason. Watching my Pokedex remaining incomplete would be a bit painful through as I don't have someone to trade with:(

The others: No. My games are in perfect conditions, and I'm not really in a rush to go through the story again. I could use them for special challenges like Nuzlocke, but at this moment I don't have motivation to do one of those either.

I would definitely do it. My SD is 512gb and my dream is to one day have all generations of the Pokémon from RBG all the way to Sun and Moon and beyond.

Only the Gen III games. I really don't see the point of Gen IV/V VC when you can just plop any of those modest little DP, Pt, BW, and B2W2 game cartridges into your 3DS and use that. I prefer the old-school method of physically buying the games anyway.

Probably tbh.

Do I have almost every game from Gens III/IV/V in working condition? Yes. But am I a total sucker for re-releases and Bank connectivity and renewed relevance? Hell yes I am.

Though realistically, I can only see Gen III being placed there in the forseeable future. DP remakes are likely on the way within the next 4 years. Once we've moved off the 3DS and onto the Switch, I could see RSE getting released there.

For Emerald? Yes. It's my favorite and the most battle frantic (this even after being neutered due to E-Reader's lack of popularity in the west) game in the main series. This game's existence (due to the if route it took with the main campaign alone) is why ORAS could only be deemed "very fun and solid games but not one of the best damn titles we had in a while".

It can't be the latter because...

For BW2? Also yes. I kicked myself for not getting into it back in its prime. It was a proper anniversary title, just a plain damn fun game to play and had some of the best player to player interactions due to Join Avenue's existence alone. I say VC that sucker retool the options for open online play and go to town.

EDIT: Also just plain miss the giant globe from Gen 4/5 showing all the little points around the world I traded with. Gen V even had Unity Tower which made the feeling of "connection" even stronger.

My initial reaction was a flat "no." I've already transferred up Pokemon as far back as FireRed, so reliving the experience or easier transfers weren't really appealing to me. But considering newer fans, it's got a lot more going for it. To transfer Pokemon from Gen 3 up to the current games, you'd need a DS, a Gen 4 game, and a Gen 5 game, and you'd need to complete the story in both. Not everyone has the time/funds/desire to do all that. I wouldn't buy it myself, but I'd definitely support the idea.

I wouldn't be in a hurry, but I'd definitely get BW2. Actual copies are getting pretty expensive these days and I wasn't in the fandom at the time. For that reason I initially skipped XY too, until I got ORAS. I wouldn't mind having Emerald either, although I got the cartridge's battery replaced a few years ago so it should be god for a while. My GBA however... I mean it's not just the game that could break, but the handheld too

I wouldn't mind if I purchase Gen III/IV/V on VC, its slightly possible we'll see a Gen III VC on Switch, we probably will see Gen IV and V on a future console, because it's likely to see Gen IV remake on Switch in Gen VIII. Finally for Gen V, I don't if whether if they do a remake, l still play B2W2 on my 3DS.

I already own them on "disc" and they're already playable on my 3DS, lol.

Maybe on the Switch sequel in like 15 years. Probably not though, if they did remakes I'd get those.

I haven't got the "3DS" Gen 1 or 2 either.

I'd think this would be a good idea for Nintendo. Even the DS Pokemon games are hard to track down if you don't own a copy for yourself.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom