• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you purchase newer Generations on VC?

Would you purchase Gen III/IV/V on the VC?

• Yes

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
I sold my pre-Gen VI games a while back (nearly a year come to think of it), and while I didn't regret it then, there's something about having the series of games in a container that helps me feel a bit of nostalgia. Granted that I have Moon on digital (considering my fear of losing 900 Pokemon to a lost cartridge), that wouldn't apply, but still...I'd buy Gen III, as I've never really enjoyed them. I got FireRed, but lost it while in elementary school. I wouldn't mind revisiting that era again.

As for Gen IV...well, I'm fully expecting a remake in the next few years, so I don't think it's a good time for that. But I would buy it since Diamond was my first ever Pokemon game.

Gen V still feels too recent, so no go there on me. Didn't care for that gen too much cause of the overall design, but I did enjoy the story and interconnectivity. Oh, and Zoroark.

I would really love to play RSE again. I have all the games Gen IV and forward, so I don't care so much about those being on virtual console, but Gen III is a must for me.

I most definitely wouldn't. I still have all the games from gens 3, 4 and 5. They still work perfectly fine. I still replay them to "hoard" pokemon from older gens. I still have my old DS and can transport them from gen 3 all the way to 7. I really wouldn't want to buy them especially not RSE since I don't enjoy them as much as the others and I have ORAS anyway.

The only game I missed is Platinum but I have Diamond and Pearl so I'm in no rush to play a game that just has some additions to the story and pokedex compared to DP and that's it.

Well, considering the fact that I already have these games on my laptop, and that I hate to replay Pokémon games, I don't I buy the games if they ever come out for the VC.

If it is Emerald or HGSS, then yes. Emerald because they have the Battle Frontier. HGSS because they have the Battle Frontier AND they have the most ball designs available - including the regular store-sold ones, Safari balls, Park balls, and Apricorn. And before you say Apricorn balls are available in SM... come on, the most you can get on a single copy is one or two depending on how diligently you participated in global events. You could get more if you have another copy... but it's not the same as having someone like Kurt readily available to make those balls for you.

emerald and heartgold are the only ones i would really consider purchasing and even then it'd be hard to sell me. those are the only games missing from my collection of main series titles. i never transfer pokemon from old playthroughs (no access to bank) so easy transfer isn't relevant to me. aside from crystal, which i'd buy in a heartbeat, i can just play every other game on its appropriate console with no issue.

Well, if they actually made the Old Sea Map in Emerald obtainable without the need of events(like they did with GS ball in VC Crystal), I'd purchase it. Otherwise, I don't care.

Only emerald as i can't see them not passing up a cash on the nostagia of the game alogn with the cash in of possible sinnoh remakes on switch to

I mean if RSE were made available, I would do it only if did what they did for Crystal and make the events available too, but I dont have a need for them as my old cartridges still work. Down the road as they get older, it could be a nice idea though.

Gen III is specifically why I asked. I don't know about most of you, but I dislike changing the batteries on my cartridge every couple of years. It'd be nice to have the time work properly without extra work.

Nope, since whats the point?

I have ORAS on the 3ds (And while its not Gen III, its the same region). Same with Gens 4 and 5, which can be played on the 3ds and i have them on old consoles anyways which are still working.

And gen 4 and 5 are possibily not even coming to the VC on the Switch, since i kinda expect for the Switch to live around 11 years or so (2019 gen 8, 2020 - gen 4 remakes, 2022 - gen 9, 2023 - gen 9.5, 2025 - gen 10, 2026 - gen 5 remakes) and then a new console.

Nope, since whats the point?

I have ORAS on the 3ds (And while its not Gen III, its the same region). Same with Gens 4 and 5, which can be played on the 3ds and i have them on old consoles anyways which are still working.

And gen 4 and 5 are possibily not even coming to the VC on the Switch, since i kinda expect for the Switch to live around 11 years or so (2019 gen 8, 2020 - gen 4 remakes, 2022 - gen 9, 2023 - gen 9.5, 2025 - gen 10, 2026 - gen 5 remakes) and then a new console.

fair enough but then people said the same about gen 1 and 2 with the remakes of them
but truth be told i would actually surprised if nintendo DID NOT announce a switch revision or successor around the time or just after the ps 5 and/or xbox 2 are announced which most likely for sony and microsoft would target "true" 4k and HDR gaming as by the switches hardware will be so far behind that most developers would focus their resources on the others and not the switch unless it indy titles and shovelware like what happned with the wii

Nah, prior to VC releases, I owned all games but Red and Blue, but my GSC all had batteries that died out, I bought all 6 VC games, and now own every game, and own GSC again. I also own enough systems to not only trade up all the way from Gen 3, but actually have Gen 3, 5, and 5 battles and trades, I have two Gameboy SP's, two DS Lites, a link cable, etc.

I also just don't see the point, the Pokemon Company largely celebrated Crystal's release as marking the achievement of every game being able to transfer up to the current Generation, every game from Gen 3 on has maintained compatibility, it just doesn't make sense, and if they want people to revisit regions, they could just do more remakes, I think two remakes per system/one remake every generation would be just fine, starting on the Switch, we might see a revisit to Kanto and Sinnoh. I personally think the 3DS should've received a remake or revisit of some sort inbetween SM and USUM so as to not completely bore us with only Alola for 3 years.

I'd purchase any Pokemon games on Switch VC to experience them. Bringing them on the 3DS has no point since they’re playable due to backwards compatibility.

Maybe Platinum, but that's only because my Platinum cart has to be taken out and reinserted multiple times before my consoles will register it. So at some point it will probably die completely. Other than that, I'm fine without more VC titles.

I also just don't see the point, the Pokemon Company largely celebrated Crystal's release as marking the achievement of every game being able to transfer up to the current Generation, every game from Gen 3 on has maintained compatibility,
But that compatibility was only maintained through other games-so anyone wanting to transfer up Pokemon from Gen 3 would need a Gen 4 and Gen 5 game before they could send it to bank. (plus a second DS for the Gen 5 transfer game) For older players, that's not a problem, but newer players couldn't send Pokemon up so easily.

But that compatibility was only maintained through other games-so anyone wanting to transfer up Pokemon from Gen 3 would need a Gen 4 and Gen 5 game before they could send it to bank. (plus a second DS for the Gen 5 transfer game) For older players, that's not a problem, but newer players couldn't send Pokemon up so easily.

But bringing Pokémon up isn’t a big problem. Every generation pretty much goes out of their way to make every Pokémon available. Anyways, supporting VC releases, in my opinion, supports laziness where they won’t remake regions anymore and just re-release them.

But bringing Pokémon up isn’t a big problem. Every generation pretty much goes out of their way to make every Pokémon available.
Sentimental value is still a factor. Getting a Cyndaquil for beating the Hoenn league isn't the same as traveling through the Johto region with one.
Anyways, supporting VC releases, in my opinion, supports laziness where they won’t remake regions anymore and just re-release them.
There's nothing that's indicated that. We've only gotten VC for RBY and GSC, both of which have already had remakes. It's not necessarily an either/or situation. Besides, remakes use the same region, same characters, and often the same plot as their original-why don't you consider that lazy?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom