• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you read a One Piece/Pokemon crossover/mashup?

Sarcastically Insane

Lighting Things on Fire
Reaction score
This is mainly directed towards those of you whose name does not start with a 'J' and and in 'abberwocky'.

The basic plot would be from KanJo (because it has the most to work with) and the Gym Leaders are similar to the Sichibukai/Seven Warlords, the E4 would be like the Yonkou/Four Emperors, and the Leader's/E4's main theme would be put into Devil Fruit form.

Does anyone think it would work? Because I have some pretty cool ideas, for one (both old DF's with new uses and interesting users, and new DF's)

I'd hate to do anything that will bring you down, but I personally don't like Crossovers. HOWEVER, I do like One Piece and Pokémon (Obviously), and I think that it can work out if incorporated smoothly together.

I say you should go for it and there might be some readers for you.

You don't have to take them, but here are some suggestions:
-Making it a trainer (journey) fic might not be as good as if you add Pokémon to One Piece. It could work, maybe you'll add a twist to it. But I think that a trainer fic wouldn't have as much range in term of events and plot, even if the characters are from One Piece.

-Using too much canon characters might rebel some people away, because some don't like to see the characters they love changed dramatically (if you intended on changing personalities.

I think you should go for it if you want, and write it however way you want to, it might just word.

I think readers need to kind of leave their preconceived notions and perceptions about Pokemon canon when they read some of the fics out there. Crossovers are a perfect example. Too often, we get thrown off and lose interest with stories that lack 'believability' and deviate too far from the norm in terms of canon.

I think readers need to just forget all that stuff and try to focus on the story itself. Pretend it's its own separate canon (unless it is of course supposed to be canon). I think there are a bunch of really great stories here that don't get as many readers as they deserve for that reason.

So yeah, if your crossover is of the quality that we are used to from you, I will definitely read it!

No... Just no.

I say choose one universe or the other. Almost no crossover crap I've seen has been any good, and it all looks like a giant mess.

Not that I want to put you down but I'm no fan of crossovers either. Not that there aren't any good ones and I do think you can write one well but to me they're just... meh. But that's jsut my personal opinion. If you want, go ahead. Almost no one here reads non-Pokémon fics but I stubbornly continue posting and writing so why should you not do it, too?

Although a retelling of one of the two cannon using characters from the other would be probably a fun one to read. Cast switch and all that jazz.

@everyone that thinks crossovers suck: Yeah, I know the feeling. But this idea's stuck in my head, and there are some pretty awesome crossovers out there. They just disprove Finagle's Law; more than 90% of crossovers are crap.

But there's a reason I put 'mashup' in the title instead of just crossover, because most canon characters might not make it into this (or they might, I'm not sure at this point) and this isn't just to go 'OHMYGODONEPIECEANDPOKUMANZ TOGETZORZ!!!oNe!1!', I actually have an idea for a plot.

I meant it's much smaller than 10%. Finagle's Law says only 90% of everything is crap; that's a bit optimistic when talking about crossovers.

I actually read a crossover between Pokemon and Death Note on this very site and it worked very well. Sadly after only a few chapters, the writer gave up (I might try to find that at some point...)

I don't know much about One Piece but I've read some of it and it seems that you could fit the two franchises together if you put some actual thought and effort into it and it looks like you intend to. I say you should go for it. Never put a good idea down just because you think it has negative associations - it can prove how good a writer you really are if you take a style or genre of writing that is generally poo poo'd and do a good job of it.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom